Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opeth - Watershed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Opeth - Watershed Empty
PostSubject: Opeth - Watershed   Opeth - Watershed Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 1:01 pm

I have lived with Watershed for a couple of weeks now and feel like I can give an educated opinion. Åkerfeldt and company have given us a superbly crafted progressive metal album. “Progressive” is the key word here. My first thought when I finished the album the first time was, “Wow, mellow.” That’s not to say there aren’t some brutal moments, there are a lot of them. “Heir Apparent” “The Lotus Eater” and “Hessian Peel” contain long segments that are as heavy as anything Opeth has done before. I think the “mellow” impression comes from the vocals. Mikael uses his clean voice at least as much if not a little more than his death-growl on this album, even over some of the heavier music. I’m a huge fan of his clean vocals, so that is not an issue for me, but it is a difference from the Opeth of the past when the death vocals were generally for the brutal music and the clean vocals used for acoustic sections. Some of the acoustic breaks are absolutely gorgeous with wonderful guitar work. That also adds to the mellow nature of the record.

The opener “Coil” was a surprise as it could be on “Damnation.” Eerily beautiful with a female vocalist (Natalie Lorichs) singing the lyric for the second half. Per Wiberg’s keyboards are used throughout the album to great effect, a continuation of the keyboard use on Ghost Reveries. “Burden” contains some moments in both the keys and the vocals that remind me very strongly of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, so much so that I wonder if it is an homage of sorts. Again, not a problem for me as ELP is one of my favorite prog bands.

Watershed is a great album. In it, Opeth has moved even further toward their progressive side. The brutality is still there, but is balanced evenly with beauty. This review is not based on the special edition with bonus tracks, I didn’t want to wait that long!

Side note: I saw Opeth in May on the Progressive Nation tour (Columbus, OH) with Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me, and 3. They were fantastic live. They played “Heir Apparent” from the new release and it killed! I immediately went home and pre-ordered the album from Amazon.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Opeth - Watershed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Watershed   Opeth - Watershed Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 6:17 pm

i got both edition the day it came out and this record wons anything else you will hear this year probably
Back to top Go down

Opeth - Watershed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Watershed   Opeth - Watershed Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm not a huge fan, but I agree, this album is great!
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Opeth - Watershed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Watershed   Opeth - Watershed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 11:46 am

and so you should its awesomely good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Opeth - Watershed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Watershed   Opeth - Watershed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opeth - Watershed
Page 1 of 1