Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heavy Metal in Baghdad

Go down 
+6
GrandNational
Tall Tyrion
MetalGuy71
mc666
Troublezone
thejokeriv
10 posters
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Heavy Metal in Baghdad Empty
PostSubject: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 11:01 pm

Anyone seen this movie? I just watched it - it's a documentry about the first metal band from Baghdad, Acrassicauda, and their story and what they go through just to 🤘

Pretty incredible journey. The DVD has follow up doc called heavy metal in istanbul, where the band currently is livining as refugees.

Check it out if you can - it just makes you want to do you hat you can to get them to a western country so the band can just 🤘

I highly recommend the film. The band is heavly influenced by Metallica (early metallica that is), Slayer, etc. They had a gig shut down during sadam's reign because kids were - watch for it - headbanging.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 11:15 pm

What about Bangcock? They have a great metal scene.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 11:16 pm

Bangkok. Smile
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 11:21 pm

Don't know, didn't rent metal in bangkok
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 11:22 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Don't know, didn't rent metal in bangkok

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 2:52 am

spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

I was just kidding and i spelled it that way as a joke. There is no metal scene in Bangkok as far as i know.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 2:53 am

troublezone wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

I was just kidding and i spelled it that way as a joke. There is no metal scene in Bangkok as far as i know.
there is, most likely, a metal scene....everywhere. no matter how big.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:32 am

mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

Except deep in the rain forest where the natives never even seen outsiders. I guess that means not everwhere. Cool
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:34 am

troublezone wrote:
mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

Except deep in the rain forest where the natives never even seen outsiders. I guess that means not everywhere. Cool
so you think there cannot possibly be 1 single metal fan in such a place? interesting.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:53 am

mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

Except deep in the rain forest where the natives never even seen outsiders. I guess that means not everywhere. Cool
so you think there cannot possibly be 1 single metal fan in such a place? interesting.

Wow i'm surprised by your logic on this one. If a tribe has not seen a outsider in their corner of the dense rain forest let alone no machines, radios, cds, anything but primal native ways... how could they possibly have heard our music?

Uncontacted Human Tribe Sighted in Amazon

Fri, 05/30/2008 - 2:30pm by LibertySugar
1,086 Views - 38 comments

Heavy Metal in Baghdad TribeAnthropologists have discovered an "uncontacted tribe" living in Brazil deep within the Amazon. Aerial photos show red-painted people, living in huts, and ready to defend themselves with bows and arrows. If you think you're out of touch with world events, think again.
This situation blows my mind. To think that there is an independent human society living on this planet, with no knowledge of the dramas, histories, religions, languages, cities, wars, and everything else that makes up the rest of us, is almost unfathomable.
Despite the wealth of information this tribe could provide the outside world, experts warn against contact. Modern outsiders, including loggers, miners, and cattle ranchers, will kill these people for their land — a typical historical narrative. If not killed by violence, members of previously contacted tribes have died from common diseases.
Does this story amaze you as much as it amazes me? Will we be able to quell our fascination enough to leave these people alone and save their lives? How do we know we're not an uncontacted society?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 7:34 am

Yeah its a real touching documentary.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 8:52 am

UndertakingNewZealand wrote:
Yeah its a real touching documentary.

Awesome! someone else has seen it! Did you see the follow up on the DVD, Heavy metal In Istanbul?

I really hope these guys get asylum in a western country!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 11:32 am

spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

Confusious say:
Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 2:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

Confusious say:

He must be walking excited then.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Check out the band's myspace page -

http://www.myspace.com/wwwacrassicaudas5com

They have their demo posted. Between the ashes and underworld are the best 2 songs - old school metal! Massacre is the weakest of the three songs.

If you've seen th emovie, you see footage of Acrassicauda recording their demo in Syria in a basement studio that is used to record arabic music. They demos are rough, but give an idea of the potential these guys have.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 10:14 pm

More power to 'em! I would like to see this dvd.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 10:20 pm

troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

Confusious say:

He must be walking excited then.

Or maybe he's just like...... me. Smile
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Feb 4, 2009

NEW YORK - One of Iraq's first heavy metal
bands has been reunited in the United States after fleeing their
homeland as refugees.
Members
of Acrassicauda faced death threats in Iraq for playing Western rock
music and went into hiding before spending two years exiled in Syria
and Turkey.
Named
after a type of scorpion, Acrassicauda began writing and playing heavy
metal in 2001 after being inspired by bands including Metallica and
Slayer.

Their story was chronicled in the 2007 documentary "Heavy Metal in Baghdad."
Drummer
Marwan Riyadh, 24, arrived at Newark Liberty International Airport on
Friday, where he was greeted by band mates Firas al-Lateef, 27, and
Faisal Talal, 25. Fellow member Tony Aziz, 30, was visiting family in
Detroit.
The New
York Times reported that the group met idols Metallica on Sunday after
a concert at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
'Write some good riffs'
James Hetfield, Metallica's lead singer, presented them with a guitar signed "Welcome to America."
"That's for keeping the faith. Write some good riffs," Hetfield reportedly told them.
The
Times said the U.S. government has granted all four members of
Acrassicauda refugee status, which allows them to apply for green cards
in a year.
The
non-profit International Rescue Committee has been working to resettle
them in one location since last summer. They are now living in
Elizabeth, N.J.
But after playing only three shows before the war began in 2003, Riyadh admitted they need to practice.
"We haven’t won any awards, but we have won our freedom,” Riyadh said.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:52 pm

That is AWESOME!!!!! They have FREEDOM!!!!! I hope someone signs these guys so they can put out a CD, I'll buy it!!!!!

Can you imagine, finally being granted freedom, then as soon as you set foot in the US, meeting a band whose CD's you have loved for years!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:35 pm

Joker - I just watched this DVD. What a story!! So I looked up more and read about what was posted above.

If they release a full CD I'll definitely buy it. They're not bad at all, and to think about what they had to go through to get there. Amazing. We take our freedoms for granted.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:02 am

I saw this was on tv the other night, either IFC or the Sundance channel. I didn't have time to watch it, but I set the tivo to record it when it's on again. The few minutes I watched were pretty interesting.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 11:16 am

If you haven't seen it, check it out, it's eye-opening.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/76543/heavy-metal-in-baghdad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Am I Evil?
Metal student
Metal student
Am I Evil?

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Troublezone wrote:
mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

Wow i'm surprised by your logic on this one. If a tribe has not seen a outsider in their corner of the dense rain forest let alone no machines, radios, cds, anything but primal native ways... how could they possibly have heard our music?

Heavy Metal in Baghdad TribeAnthropologists have discovered an "uncontacted tribe" living in Brazil deep within the Amazon. Aerial photos show red-painted people, living in huts, and ready to defend themselves with bows and arrows. If you think you're out of touch with world events, think again.
This situation blows my mind. To think that there is an independent human society living on this planet, with no knowledge of the dramas, histories, religions, languages, cities, wars, and everything else that makes up the rest of us, is almost unfathomable.
Despite the wealth of information this tribe could provide the outside world, experts warn against contact. Modern outsiders, including loggers, miners, and cattle ranchers, will kill these people for their land — a typical historical narrative. If not killed by violence, members of previously contacted tribes have died from common diseases.
Does this story amaze you as much as it amazes me? Will we be able to quell our fascination enough to leave these people alone and save their lives? How do we know we're not an uncontacted society?
How do we know.They could have made metal for all we know.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Am I Evil? wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Bangkok. Smile

How do we know.They could have made metal for all we know.

...Or at least have their own primitive form of it. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal in Baghdad   Heavy Metal in Baghdad Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavy Metal in Baghdad
Page 1 of 1