Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?

Go down 
+6
powermacho
DallasBlack
Lurideath
Tall Tyrion
kmorg
Temple of Blood
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Empty
PostSubject: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 2:50 pm

This may be a stupid question because it's all opinion, but what do you think of my question? After listening to Global Warning (thanks Locky!, I finally bought it today), this is the feeling I get. He is way more diverse, and he was diverse on the last few 'Tage albums with Criss.

His JOP albums get better each time, when most bands get suckier each time, imo. The older he gets, the more he experiments with different things. I wonder what it would be like if Cruiss was still around, even though with Jon's wife finding those tapes, it's like he still is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 2:53 pm

I was thinking the same thing this weekend when I was listening to Global Warning. There is so much variety on that album. It's great.

He is definetely a better songwriter now. Are the songs better? That's a personal taste thing. I find the new stuff more enjoyable only because I haven't been listening to it for 10 or 15 years.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:02 pm

Not from what I've heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:03 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Not from what I've heard.

You should be flogged.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:21 pm

Both yes and no. He can still write some killer songs, that's for sure. But so much of the "new" material isn't really new. I recently got a bootleg of the Gutter Ballet demos, and many of the ideas, and even songs, heard on Global Warning is from that demo.

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Quote :
I recently got a bootleg of the Gutter Ballet demos,

I need to be extra nice to you for a while.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:40 pm

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
Quote :
I recently got a bootleg of the Gutter Ballet demos,

I need to be extra nice to you for a while.

Very Happy I'm sure you can if you set your mind to it Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 4:54 pm

Can I be your best friend, Kmorg? I'll wax your feet and everything.

My opinion is he is a much better songwriter now, but as Kmorg said,
there is a certain amount of rehashing, so Jon may have plateaued to
some extent. That's not to say he can't break through it, but a lot of
the same ideas are resurfacing.

Of course, it's not like that's a new thing for Savatage, just listen to the songs Sirens and The Dungeons Are Calling back to back.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 5:58 pm

He's not a better writer, he's better at experimenting though. Nothing will ever beat the 1st few Savatage albums he did! He can try, but it won't work. That's not taking anything away from what he is doing now. He is still kicking ass and doing what he does best. Experimenting is not bad, but it don't mean he's a better writer of what he's doing because of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 7:57 pm

Not better, but somewhat different in a good way. He's very consistent at writing quality stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Quote :
Nothing will ever beat the 1st few Savatage albums he did! He can try, but it won't work

I'm not sying the songs are actually better, since imo, that's impossible without Criss. Nothing will ever top EOT for me. Just that on his own, his songwriting seems to have improved, and obviously he's more diverse.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:11 am

Let me get my copy of GW and listen to it, then I will come back with an opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:58 am

defenetely yes. His music is vey mature and diverse. It sounds very 70'sish hard rock/heavy metal with a lot of queen influence into it. I love it
Back to top Go down
Kong
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 8:47 pm

If I may interject here...There is a definate intention to write and record
what is true in his heart. Old Sava style material as well as his vast old-school
influences play a very big part in all JOP material. We will be the first to admit
that there is little "modern" incredients in our material, but we are not afraid
of running away from the iconic music and vibe created by the masters. The Oliva
brothers continuing to write music together is freaky and exciting.

Jon doesn't really listen to new music, and I suspect that he hasn't for a very
long time. He has said on many occassions that there is a "soul" missing from
from most of today's music. He lives in the rich past of when musicians, including
his brother Criss, were dedicated to creating music that would stand the test of time and not dismissed as the flavor of the day.

There are surely many parts of GLOBAL WARNING that were written with long forgotten riffs and musical idea's of the past that really grabbed hold and were forged into what we hoped would be good songs....whether they have been totally concieved now or with some help from sessions long ago is irrelevant.

But Oliva has the ability to push himself and the rest of us in JOP to embrace great
song structure, melody and execution. His theory is " Let's just create a good song no matter what anyone else thinks...if we do our jobs and present it with conviction and emotion, then how can we go wrong". I am personally honored to be working with the genious that is Jon Oliva!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Kongs sighting.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 4:03 am

Lurideath wrote:
He's not a better writer, he's better at experimenting though. Nothing will ever beat the 1st few Savatage albums he did! He can try, but it won't work. That's not taking anything away from what he is doing now. He is still kicking ass and doing what he does best. Experimenting is not bad, but it don't mean he's a better writer of what he's doing because of it.

I agree with you
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:20 am

Kong, how I envy you being able to work with one of the greatest metal masterminds ever. More than ever I can't wait to get my copy of GW but it seems to be on back order for now. Jon is responsible for some of the most enjoyable music in my library and I'm sure the new one will not dissapoint.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Quote :
Nothing will ever beat the 1st few Savatage albums he did!

Except the last few with Criss.
Back to top Go down
Kong
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:30 pm

Envy is a logical word when it comes to working with true genious.
It's often staggering to be sitting at the pro-tools rig recording
song, after song, after song....they just pour out of Oliva like the rest
of us empty our bladders of good beer!....It's just crazy.

I hope the ride never stops as we have all finally stumbled upon on our way
of working together and crafting his brilliant idea's. I suspect more great
music is just around the corner....Oh, and the writing for JOP #4 has indeed begun.

Cheers to all!.......\m/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Kong wrote:

music is just around the corner....Oh, and the writing for JOP #4 has indeed begun.

Cheers to all!.......\m/

Great thoughts. Killer album, btw. I'm down here in near Tampa and I can't wait to see you guys live in September!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 2:17 am

emptytomb1 wrote:
Not better, but somewhat different in a good way. He's very consistent at writing quality stuff.

Well put, and totally agreed...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 7:27 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Kong wrote:

Cheers to all!.......\m/

Great thoughts. Killer album, btw. I'm down here in near Tampa and I can't wait to see you guys live in September!

If I'm still in the state at that time, I will be there as well.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 7:52 pm

I hope that the next album, goes all the way in your face heavy metal, like DOCTOR BUTCHER and early savatage, trying to sound as old school as it could. That would be a great follow up, and it would be interesting, since every JOP album would have something different to offer to the fans
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Olafsto wrote:
emptytomb1 wrote:

Well put, and totally agreed...

Listening to GW right now and that is a great assessment. This album is going to be one of my favorites this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:41 am

Olaf hit the nail on the head, and glad to hear you finally got it, DB.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?   Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Jon Oliva a better songwriter than he was 15 years ago?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next