Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...

Go down 
+8
Troublezone
nevermore
Lari
Gilbert
Required Fields
Glower
Big Rich
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Empty
PostSubject: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 am

The most unique and underrated metal guitarist ever.

People that grew up with Criss often talk about how Criss didnt party or socialize much as a teen. Even though he was known as a great guy. His life was his guitar. Even to the point of sleeping with it at times.

Dave Mustaine once said "When Criss came around, it was time to put the vodka down. Time to get serious."

Crank some Savatage in his honor today.

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 10:37 am

Cool heads up. Savatage is a total Autumn like band. Ancient romanticism.
27 years ago. How time flies. His sound and his riffs were all his own.
Many bands and guitarists are usually copy cats of others, though they mean well.
Criss was an original. His brother’s voice was original. Explosive years.
Saw them in the mid 80s at a large club. Packed. Kids wanted to see them.
The vibe was very close to seeing King Diamond in concert. A dark excitement.
Power Of The Night was the first song I heard. That was it for me.
Like when I heard Metal Church’s first record for the first time. You just couldn’t believe it.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 12:18 pm

Hall of the Mountain King is my favorite Savatage album. It's so sad what happened to Criss.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 1:41 pm

From May '93
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 1:58 pm

A great talent taken from us far too soon.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 2:18 pm

007 wrote:

One of his best solos. Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... 604261
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 3:47 pm

007 wrote:

Well said!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 7:25 pm

Taken way to soon! R.I.P.

He was in the same league as EVH and Randy Rhoads!
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 8:26 pm

The thing about Criss is he wasn't regressing. He was just hitting his stride. Even Jon has said that.

And he was only 30 years old. Fuck that guy that hit him.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 8:54 am

Awesome talent, tragic loss

Jon and him= One of the most talented brother duos in music, much less meta!

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 10:05 am

Was it a vision, or a waking dream? Fled is that music:—Do I wake or sleep? Now that the bird is left, the speaker's not sure if he ever entered its world at all.
-Keats
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 9:48 pm

Still my favorite guitarist of all time! Added Savatage to a large shuffle list I listen to while delivering recently.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Immortal in Song

Today is a day the Legions gather
To commemorate the birth of a legend.
A man who touched the hearts of many
In songs of now and then.

His music was a reflection
Of the passion that he breathed.
He taught us how to rage, to cry,
To join our hands, and to believe.

His fingers danced across
The strings he set ablaze.
A story came to life
In each note that he played.

He carved a world of mountain kings
And cities laid beneath.
We followed him through dungeons,
Gutters, thorns, and streets.

Yet through all the sonic wizardry,
Only a loyal few took notice
In a world where "gimmick equals success"
Prevails over emotional ingenius.

It’s in this dead world of corruption,
Filled with greed and dreams left forsaken,
That false prophets roam in triumph
And from us, heroes taken.

One early autumn night,
God embraced an angel early in the game.
The tears fell from all around
On an orchestra that wasn’t the same.

The nightmare still haunts us now,
Questions left unanswered.
A warrior so filled with life
With a fate so undeserved.

Still, the Legions they stand proud
For the spirit is immortal in song.
The legacy of Christopher Michael Oliva remains
Where the crowds are never gone.

Still Believing,
Peter
(c)1998
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 7:52 pm

He was a great player. In the same league as Randy Rhoads.
Back to top Go down
FoJ
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 76

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2020 4:52 pm

I was only introduced to Savatage right before he died with the Edge of Thorns album. It is still a top 25 all time album for me. The guitars on that record are incredible. Heavy and melodic, loads of pinch harmonic, but still with emotion galore.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2020 5:00 pm

FoJ wrote:
I was only introduced to Savatage right before he died with the Edge of Thorns album. It is still a top 25 all time album for me. The guitars on that record are incredible. Heavy and melodic, loads of pinch harmonic, but still with emotion galore.

Good description. He was a “total package” player! I first heard Savatage on the radio with the song Gutter Ballet. It’s also my favorite album of theirs! It runs the gamut of everything a great metal album should be.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2020 10:14 pm

FoJ wrote:

You and I got into them around the same time then. I was introduced by the music video debut of Edge Of Thorns on Headbanger's Ball. Got the album on tape and wore it out before replacing tapes with CDs around 1995. For me it's probably in my top 5 if I were to hunker down and actually rate favorite albums. The album cover is my favorite of all time. Was actually able to get a t-shirt of it from ebay a few years ago but the design is faded so much it's hard to actually make it out. Unusual because the ebay seller I get my shirts from has surprisingly high quality prints.

Anyways, I digress, agree with the emotion in his playing, that's why he's my favorite guitarist because he did more than just played the guitar, he made that hunk of wood and electronics sing with a passion very few metal guitarists posses. The non-metal (but still rock) equivalent is Steve Rothery of Marillion. Both of which are my favorite guitar players of their respective genres.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2020 11:30 pm

Edge Of Thorns was Criss' best work, imo.

It probably has 3 of his top 10 solos with the title track, He Carves his Stone and Follow Me.

He was only 30 years old.imagine what was to come for him?

Dallas, I believe the reason there was sonmuch emotion in his playing is because he literally loved the guitar. Alex Skolnik said the was "magic in Criss' guitar when he used to record his parts on Handful Of Rain
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 12:13 am

Okay once again..  My favorite Savatage song ever..  Not A guitar player, But great tone by Criss, Right?

Last edited by assault_attack on Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 12:20 am

Mine would be this one (contains one of Criss' best solos IMO along with All That I Bleed and Believe):

assault_attack likes this post

Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 6:59 pm

I think Ghost In The Ruins is his best solo
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 7:08 pm

Big Rich wrote:

That's a good one! Then again, I love every song on Streets which is tied with Hall as my favorite Jon/Criss album followed by Gutter Ballet.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 9:38 pm

Big Rich wrote:

I think Gutter Ballet is his best solo.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Gutter Ballet solo is incredible too.

Dallas Miles Away is an incredible song.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...   Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Criss Oliva passed away 27 years ago today...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next