Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth

Go down 
+9
mc666
DeathCult
Troublezone
Tall Tyrion
Lurideath
romeolimagolf
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37743

The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Empty
PostSubject: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Here's a GREAT article on the career of Tim "Ripper" Owens from "Cleveland Scene" magazine. It's a somewhat long, but very interesting read (if you're a metal trivia geek like I am, anyway. Laughing )

The only mistake I've caught is that they refer to his first album with Iced Earth as THE RECKONING, rather than THE GLORIOUS BURDEN (RECKONING was a pre-release CD single).

http://www.clevescene.com/2008-06-04/news/rock-star-painted-him-as-a-wannabe-but-ripper-owens-is-doing-better-than-ever/1

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 5:49 pm

Superb link! Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Quote :
Jugulator, a harder death-metal record,
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 6:28 pm

good read
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 pm

It says Tim Owens started Winters Bane. I'm sure Lou St. Paul would argue with that.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3901

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 6:56 pm

That is an awesome article!!!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 8:57 pm

romeolimagolf wrote:
It says Tim Owens started Winters Bane. I'm sure Lou St. Paul would argue with that.

I'll bet he would. But he would be polite about it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17116

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Jon Schaffer hated his nick name (Ripper) and it he gave Tim crap the entire time in IE! He said his work with Priest sucked. Wow Jon i s a huge prick!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 9:54 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
Jugulator, a harder death-metal record,

Yea, I just caught that on the second read thru. Double You Tee Eff? Shocked

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 10:41 pm

The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth RobHBW

By the way, did anyone else find this vintage Halford pic that accompanies the article as hilariously ironic as I did?

"Who, ME? Ghey? Sez WHO? Don't be daft. I'm the bleedin METAL GOD."

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 10:49 pm

Good article, thanks for posting FF.

And merry or not, you know he snuck a peek at those peaks Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 10:55 pm

troublezone wrote:
Jon Schaffer hated his nick name (Ripper) and it he gave Tim crap the entire time in IE! He said his work with Priest sucked. Wow Jon i s a huge prick!
Why? Countless Priest fans said the same thing. Both are good albums, but hardly anything to get really excited over.

It's funny, though, Jugulator was "death-metal," and Beyond Fear is "a melodic act in the vein of Sabbath." Haha.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 11:08 pm

IMO DEMOLITION is not only the worst Priest album, but one of the worst I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 11:52 pm

DeathCult wrote:
IMO DEMOLITION is not only the worst Priest album, but one of the worst I've ever heard.

I'm not going to be disagreeing with that anytime soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:42 am

Wow. It's not nearly that bad.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:50 am

Eyesore wrote:

Sometimes I really question your opinions. scratch
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth RobHBW

By the way, did anyone else find this vintage Halford pic that accompanies the article as hilariously ironic as I did?
no, considering he didn't "come out" until 1998, despite the bulk of us knowing full well. so it's not funny considering he felt he needed to hide it...& probably was commercially right in doing so, unfortunately.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 5:42 am

Eyesore wrote:

Ohhhhh yes it is.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 6:22 am

Interesting read, but there were a lot of mistakes in that article.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:53 am

Eyesore wrote:
troublezone wrote:
Why? Countless Priest fans said the same thing. Both are good albums, but hardly anything to get really excited over.

It's funny, though, Jugulator was "death-metal," and Beyond Fear is "a melodic act in the vein of Sabbath." Haha.

It's not the fact they are mediocre records but Jon Schaffer's crap personality.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 10:15 am

Quote :
Jon Schaffer's crap personality.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Jon and Matt back in 99. Jon was cool when things were cool BUT if you did something he didnt like the "toolness" emerged big time.

He gave the club owner crap because he was playing hiphop on the house speakers before the gig. Now this was a couple of hours before the gig and NO ONE was there except for the bands that were playing and my friend and I. Jon threatened to "cancel the gig" if the owner didnt stop "playing that s**t". He was rather beligerent about it.

Matt on the other hand was a super nice guy all around.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 11:15 am

I have a funny story about Matt but i don't have time to tell it right now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Whoever wrote that should check out styles of music. I think Jugulator was a great album and Demolition was so-so. As for Halford, so he's in a posed picture with a girl? Any port in a storm they say.
Back to top Go down
ramreb
Metal novice
Metal novice
ramreb

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 7:06 am

"Ripper" Owens is such a great singer, any thing he's on sounds great and Metal. Made me dig out Glorious Burden for a listen.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 pm

Great article. Thanks for the link. Ripper is awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth   The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ripper Owens Story -- in depth
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next