Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rank the Ripper Owens releases

Go down 
+11
Ben Grimm
arachnoplasma
tul
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
Wayne
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Rank the Ripper Owens releases Empty
PostSubject: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Go!

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Of the ones I've heard

Winters Bane
Beyond Fear
Iced Earth
Play my Game
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:16 pm

The Glorious Burden (way out in front)

Beyond Fear

Framing Armageddon

Jugulator

I like his Avantasia work as well.

Last edited by scottmitchell74 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39981

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:17 pm

This is what I own in rank of best to worst :

Judas Priest - Jugulator
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
Winters Bane - Heart Of A Killer
Yngwie Malmsteen - Perpetual Flame
Beyond Fear - Beyond Fear
Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon
Judas Priest - Demolition
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:20 pm

Quote :
BRAINICIDE - Brutal Mentality

Never heard of that one. And I have not heard either Yngwie albums. As for the rest...

1. Charred Walls
2. Beyond Fear
3. Iced Earth
4. Winter's Bane
5. Play My Game
6. Jugulator

I had it at one time, but I no longer own JP's Demolition

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Never heard of Charred Walls of the Damned...until right now. Listening on Youtube. Great! Will probably get this one.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:34 pm

I think the glorious burden is superb and easily his best record. Closely followed by beyond fear. Never understood why he never carried on with beyond fear as I think he needs to get his own band going rather than spend his whole career being a gun for hire.

I liked his 2 judas priest albums, thought they were both pretty decent. I've also got the first album he did with yngwie and I think his voice really suits yngwies music. Caught him live with yngwie a couple of years back and it was a great show.

Quite like his solo album play my game aswell. The first couple of tracks are superb but the album does have a lot of filler in my opinion.

His performance on framing armageddon was decent but I think the album is boring apart from 2 tracks.

I think Tim is a great singer I just think it's a shame he hasn't settled in a band fir more than a couple of albums. Admittedly it wasn't his fault that priest wanted halford back but from some of the comments Jon Schaffer made about him it seems he didnt put a lot of effort into iced earth, great on record but lazy on tour. These days he flits from Project to project and doesn't seem to be able to settle.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:04 pm

Wayne wrote:
Never understood why he never carried on with beyond fear

Probably because it didn't make any money and he's trying to make a career out of singing metal.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37740

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Fave: Priest, JUGULATOR

Followed by: Iced Earth, GLORIOUS BURDEN, Winters Bane, HEART OF A KILLER and BEYOND FEAR.

"Meh": Priest's 98 LIVE MELTDOWN, IE's FRAMING ARMAGEDDON and his PLAY MY GAME solo album

Godawful: Priest's DEMOLITION

Never heard Brainicide, his work w/Yngwie or Charred Walls.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Probably because it didn't make any money and he's trying to make a career out of singing metal.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:58 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Exactly.

But I remember reading some positive reviews of the album and at least expected a follow up before he decided it wasn't profitable.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Good reviews mean nothing...believe me I know.

Also he was probably the only full-timer in the band. Add that to the road work he's always doing and there just hasn't been time. I hope he does another one though.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:40 pm

80% of metal artists probably receive good reviews ... and that's probably a conservative estimate.

He gets paid in YNGWIE's band, which I am sure is what will keep him there. Not a love for neo-classical hard rock.

He was singing in a cover band again last year.

I don't blame him one bit.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

That band HAIL! is basically a cover band...he and Dave Ellefson & some other guys touring the world playing Metal covers...

Dio Disciples is a cover band...

Work is work...

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
That band HAIL! is basically a cover band...he and Dave Ellefson & some other guys touring the world playing Metal covers...

Work is work...

Yep.

And even Mike Portnoy was playing with them. Not to mention Paul Bostaph.

The next avenue is vocal clinics (ha!) and maybe a book or instructional video.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Work is work...

Yep.

And even Mike Portnoy was playing with them. Not to mention Paul Bostaph.

The next avenue is vocal clinics (ha!) and maybe a book or instructional video.

I think it's cool because he can do the Yngwie & covers tours and occasionally put out killer stuff like Charred Walls or Beyond Fear...

The dude helped float two well-known bands (one more than the other), recorded 2 albums & toured the world with both and gets so little respect...sad.
Back to top Go down
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: bf 2   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Wayne wrote:

It was planned to record another Beyond Fear album this July/August. There was trouble to get a new record deal.

http://www.timripperowens.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1783&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Hate to admit it but the only Ripper discs I've heard are the two Priest albums, plus some of the live stuff, so I have some serious catching up to do...

Neither Priest album are exactly favorites, but I thought Jugulator had a few very cool songs on it ("Cathedral Spires" for example). Obviously I prefer Halford any day, but I can listen to a few songs occasionally. Demolition, on the other hand, was pretty bad IMO. Not really Ripper's fault on that one, just lackluster songwriting.

With that said when Priest announced their farewell tour and said they were going to play one song off of every album, I thought "Oh, cool! So we'll finally get to hear Halford sing 'Jugulator' or 'Burn in Hell'!" I was kind of disappointed that they skipped over both albums, but I guess it wasn't exactly surprising. Neutral

I do think Ripper did a commendable job live with Priest, though. I liked his renditions of the classics at the very least.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I think it's cool because he can do the Yngwie & covers tours and occasionally put out killer stuff like Charred Walls or Beyond Fear...

Exactly.

Everyone needs a day job to fund the fun stuff.

Quote :
The dude helped float two well-known bands (one more than the other), recorded 2 albums & toured the world with both and gets so little respect...sad.

He gets a ton of respect.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Exactly.

Everyone needs a day job to fund the fun stuff.

Quote :

He gets a ton of respect.

I just see him (not necessarily here) get slagged fairly regularly...also what I mean is the fact that he, through no real fault of his own, had the misfortune of following 2 amazing singers (Halford & Barlow) so he'll never be "as good" in the eyes of many fans when, in reality, he's every bit as good.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 5:37 pm

tul wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Wayne wrote:

It was planned to record another Beyond Fear album this July/August. There was trouble to get a new record deal.

http://www.timripperowens.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1783&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

I think that's quite sad that he has trouble finding a record deal. The guy has fronted some high profile bands.

I understand all the stuff about needing to get paid but I see far less known artists and bands than Tim churn out regular albums and I just wonder about the whole situation really. Is he hard to work with? Does ge have unrealistic demands when talking to labels? I don't know the answer. All I do know is the guy is a great vocalist and I would like to see him settle in a band environment and get a bit if consistency. Beyond fear seemed perfect for this as it was his band, he called the shots and for once didn't have a bigger presence to answer to.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 6:20 pm

Charred Walls of the Damned
Beyond Fear
Yngiwe Malmsteen - Peretual Flame
Winter's Bane
Yngwie Malmsteen - Relentless
Play My Game
Judas Priest Demolition
Judas Priest Jugulator
Iced Earth - Glourious Burden
Iced Earth - Framing Aramgeddon ( this album sucked but not Rippers fault)

I have never heard of BRAINICIDE

By the way on Ripper's Facebook about a month ago he said he had begun wroking on more Beyond Fear

Last edited by Ben Grimm on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 6:25 pm

so what is it that he is doing that is not paying of monetary speaking?

IS IT that he doesn't have the heavy metal look or make a good impression as a front-man? Cause I have seen him and he doesn't interact with the audience

Is it that he is not sticking long enough to start seeing the success and money coming in?

He does have many projects but he doesn't sick with them as if it doesn't work for his interests, but there must be some things that he is not doing and is doing wrong. And I think don't have to do of how good of a musician, rather that he is not treating it as a business

comparing him to rob rock, rob rock concentrates on 2 bands and makes some solid work that pays off in the end. and we don't see that here, maybe that is what is wrong with ownes
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:31 pm

The Glorious Burden
Heart of a Killer
Beyond Fear
Framing Armageddon
Jugulator

That's all I have heard
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:34 pm

1. Perpetual Flame - (Yngwie Malmsteem) This album is essentially great and one of the best of this new era of metal. Tim shines here like he never has before! Giving credence back to Yngwie for a few 'floppers' at the same time!

2. The Glorious Burden

3. The rest ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Ripper Owens releases   Rank the Ripper Owens releases Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rank the Ripper Owens releases
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next