Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tim 'Ripper' Owens

Go down 
+10
ultmetal
Smindas
Temple of Blood
zombiewalkin
Rex
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
mc666
caniplaywithmadness?
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 8:55 am

Opinion on him is very mixed but personally i think hes an amazing vocalist and i love every album hes sung on. what does everyone on here think of him?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 9:04 am

he's a capable vocalist. Winters Bane's Heart Of A Killer was pretty good, Beyond Fear was good. other than that, he hasn't had a real chance to show his stuff. all the other albums he sang on just plain sucked. not so much vocally, but altogether.

people will disagree with this of course, but screw them. Razz

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 9:41 am

I like Ripper,he's got a great voice IMO.I like about everything he's done
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 9:44 am

I like him. I tought he was a fine replacement in Priest, doing the best he could with the weak material. I liked him in Iced Earth and he's great in Beyond Fear. Could the material be better? Maybe in some cases, but as a singer, the dude's got pipes.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37735

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 9:51 am

Ripper is the man, as far as I'm concerned. The mere fact that he attempted to step into ROB HALFORD's position in Judas Priest (whether or not he was successful depends on who you talk to, of course), showed that he's got a massive amount of guts. He was basically in a no-win situation but he gave it his all. I will always respect him for that.

Vocally, I think he's one of the most underrated guys to come along in the last fifteen years or so, and that's due to the fact that, as mc666 said, he hasn't really had many opportunities to really show what he can do. Other than Beyond Fear (which was great) and to a smaller extent, Winters Bane (which was really guitarist Lou St. Paul's show) he's been in bands with strong leaders (or tyrants, take your pick) like Glenn Tipton and Jon Schaffer so he hasn't had much to do with the song writing/arranging. But for my money, there's no better screamer in metal right now than Owens.

So yea, I guess you can say I'm a big fan. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 10:20 am

Me like! Him get bad press because of bad songwriting from other people! Not him fault! Him do good job! Him killer in Priest! Me like...Halford who? Me like Barlow who?

ok, maybe not to that extent, but I really like his singing and have enjoyed everything he's been on.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 10:35 am

Ripper is a good vocalist. I agree the Priest and Iced Earth stuff to me is weak material. Winter's Bane is my favorite thing he has done.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 10:43 am

Winters Bane is by far the best thing he has done.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 11:56 am

Great singer, shouldn't be in Iced Earth though.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 12:04 pm

"Bullet, bullet train! Piercing through my brain.."

Ripper rules!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 12:07 pm

He got a good voice but not for JUDAS PRIEST or ICED EARTH.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 12:11 pm

I saw him tour with Judas Priest and I have the Live Meltdown 2 cd album, and I'm a huge Halford fan, but Ripper was AWESOME on the older material and would NAIL it. He was great as a replacement for Halford.
Back to top Go down

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 12:16 pm

I think he's an amazing vocalist. Heart of a Killer is probably
my favorite album but Glorious Burden and Jugulator are both
excellent. Demolition has it's moments and the Beyond Fear album
was really good.

Both Ripper and Blaze Bayley don't get the credit they deserve.
It's hard to replace a guy considered one of the best of all time and
both guys did admirable jobs even with some lackluster material given
to them.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 12:30 pm

Rexorcist wrote:
I saw him tour with Judas Priest and I have the Live Meltdown 2 cd album, and I'm a huge Halford fan, but Ripper was AWESOME on the older material and would NAIL it. He was great as a replacement for Halford.

I agree. His version of Diamonds & Rust is jaw dropping. I don't think that Judgulator or Demolition were great, but they both have songs I think are good. Bullet Train and Cathedral Spires are GREAT songs.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9050

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 12:34 pm

I like everything I've heard him sing on!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 12:37 pm

I saw him touring with JUDAS PRIEST too and i can tell you that the opening band (SAVATAGE) were far better. Ripper owens was moving like a rapper on stage, moving his arms like he was boxing. Very strange for a metal frontman. His voice was okay but still didnt realy sing right the JUDAS PRIEST tracks. Also he was arrogant and didnt talk to all the fans. He sucked.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 1:00 pm

krokus wrote:
I saw him touring with JUDAS PRIEST too and i can tell you that the opening band (SAVATAGE) were far better. Ripper owens was moving like a rapper on stage, moving his arms like he was boxing. Very strange for a metal frontman. His voice was okay but still didnt realy sing right the JUDAS PRIEST tracks. Also he was arrogant and didnt talk to all the fans. He sucked.

He must've been having an off night. When I saw him with Priest, he sounded great live, which convinced me to purchase Jugulator. He seemed to have the most energy of the band at the time. Ian Hill looked like he was gonna fall asleep. I'll give you the strange boxing moves, though. Hopefully, he's had time to work on his stage presence since then.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 1:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
krokus wrote:

He must've been having an off night. When I saw him with Priest, he sounded great live, which convinced me to purchase Jugulator. He seemed to have the most energy of the band at the time. Ian Hill looked like he was gonna fall asleep. I'll give you the strange boxing moves, though. Hopefully, he's had time to work on his stage presence since then.

Yes, he could have just a bad night because when i read your opinion and the rest, it looks like normaly he was a good frontman for JUDAS PRIEST.
I also hope he worked on his stage presence:D. Take care.
Back to top Go down

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 1:47 pm

Absolutely top notch Metal Vocalist!!!
Back to top Go down

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 2:43 pm

As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the best vocalists in metal.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37735

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 2:59 pm

My one complaint about the LIVE MELTDOWN album is that though Owens sounds GREAT vocally, the band doesn't sound quite "right." I think they down-tuned their instruments to match the "brutal" tone of the JUGULATOR songs and that made the classic tracks sound a little weird. Am I the only one who's noticed that?

I have never seen Owens w/Priest or Iced Earth, but believe it or not, I did see him with his Judas Priest tribute band, "British Steel," in a little dump club near me in New Jersey in '94 or '95. I was impressed with his Halford impression even then (when they played "Victim of Changes," my friend and I were standing in front of the stage doing the "Wayne's World" style "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!" bow), so a couple of years later when I heard that he was going to be the new Priest singer, not only did I go "Wow, I have a killer 'I knew him when' story now," but I also decided that they'd definitely found the right guy.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Quote :
My one complaint about the LIVE MELTDOWN album is that though Owens sounds GREAT vocally, the band doesn't sound quite "right." I think they down-tuned their instruments to match the "brutal" tone of the JUGULATOR songs and that made the classic tracks sound a little weird. Am I the only one who's noticed that?

Yes, I noticed a slight difference as well. I'm not a musician, so I couldn't tell you what they did exactly, but there is a noticable difference in the live Ripper songs as opposed to the Halford studio versions. It didn't bother me though.
Back to top Go down

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:29 pm

I like him alot. Excellent vocalist, with a great range. I like that before he joined Priest he was in a "Grunge" cover band, besides the Priest cover band
Back to top Go down

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Forever A Heath Bar wrote:
I like him alot. Excellent vocalist, with a great range. I like that before he joined Priest he was in a "Grunge" cover band, besides the Priest cover band
Good cover bands can make a ton of money. But wasn't he in the other cover band after he joined Priest? I thought it was more recent thing where they covered Disturbed and stuff.
Back to top Go down

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 7:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Forever A Heath Bar wrote:
Good cover bands can make a ton of money. But wasn't he in the other cover band after he joined Priest? I thought it was more recent thing where they covered Disturbed and stuff.
Could be not sure. I barely remember a clip of news way back when saying the band he was in played AIC and other Seattle bands of the '90s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tim 'Ripper' Owens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim 'Ripper' Owens   Tim 'Ripper' Owens Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tim 'Ripper' Owens
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next