Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied

Go down 
+6
MetalGuy71
Tall Tyrion
tohostudios
7thSecond
Fat Freddy
powermacho
10 posters
AuthorMessage
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Empty
PostSubject: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:05 pm

As we all know people is buying less albums these days, and prefer download the music.
But I think that a digi-pack drags peoples attention to get the album, beacuse of their special packages.

I see that retroactive records re-released some great albums, but there are not bonus tracks, and only 2 or 4 page booklets. It could affect the company, since there is not much on the package that offer people's attention into getting the album.

What is your point of view for the old school metal bands?
Do you think that almost all of the metal re-releases should be on digi-pack?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:06 pm

I doubt that digi-paks are "the future of CDs," simply because a lot of people I talk to hate digi-paks. Since they're slightly larger than standard jewel cases they don't fit into many CD storage racks, and they also get scuffed/damaged easily. If you break a jewel case you can always just replace it with a new case, but if you wreck a digi-pak you're pretty much screwed unless you want to buy another copy.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri May 30, 2008 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:09 pm

I hate digi-packs. Give me a jewel cased CD please. That is all I have to offer. butt dance
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:11 pm

7thSecond wrote:
I hate digi-packs. Give me a jewel cased CD please. That is all I have to offer. butt dance

See? There's a digi-pak hater now!! Laughing

Seriously though. I do have some digi's in my collection but if offered a choice between the two packages, I'd go for the standard jewel-case every time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm

I too prefer jewel cases. The only thing I like about digis is that I can fit more CDs in my racks that way because they are thinner.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:22 pm

Digi packs must die.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:27 pm

I think you're on the right path about the record company offering more (better packaging, bonus tracks, dvd's etc.) to entice folks to buy them, but I think it's too little too late. Collectors and hard-core music fans like ourselves will always prefer to have a product to hold, but the general public is now getting something for free by downloading. All the beautiful packaging in the world can't beat FREE.

I'm not a fan of digi's either for the reasons Freddy pointed out.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:32 pm

To me they are more appealing. The artwork is bigger, and sometimes they have extra pages on their booklets.

So how do you think a re-release should be done?
12 page booklet, with bonus tracks? cd/dvd packs? and good quality re-master?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:38 pm

powermacho wrote:

So how do you think a re-release should be done?
12 page booklet, with bonus tracks? cd/dvd packs? and good quality re-master?

Bonus tracks are usually the hook for me. I tend to prefer unreleased or other "lost" studio stuff (demos of songs that didn't make the cut for the album, or songs that were B-sides to singles, for example) over live tracks.

DVDs aren't a big selling point cuz I never have time to watch DVDs. Those DualDisc thingies (album on one side, DVD on the other) were supposed to be the next hot item just a few years ago but they seem to have dropped off the face of the Earth. Judas Priest released ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION as a DualDisc, and I've listened to the album side of that thing tons of times. Guess how many times I've watched the DVD in the three years I've had the album? Once.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:07 pm

I don't think digi paks are thinner and I hate them with unbridled passion.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:09 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
I don't think digi paks are thinner and I hate them with unbridled passion.

You gotta be kidding me! Every digi pack I own is thinner than a standard jewel case. Except maybe the remastered version of Queen's Night At The Opera.

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Speaking of cases, whatever happened to those double jewel cases? You know what I'm talking about, those really thick ones that were hinged in between two individual cd slots (like the pre-remasters KISS Alive/Alive II). I can understand why many people wouldn't like them for being too big to fit in most individual slot cd racks, but they were so much more durable than the more recent 2 cd cases with the double-sided, hinged trays.

As far as digi-packs go, I prefer jewel case as well. Outer sleeves are cool for remasters, but they're often made poorly and eventually start to break (unless you're really careful).
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:14 pm

I don't mind digipacks for reissues, but I'd rather have bonus tracks such as demos, unreleased tracks, b-sides, or good live tracks. Don't give me the remixes like on the Queen reissues in '91. They sucked.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:15 pm

I love/hate them. They are infinitely more attractive, but much harder to keep nice (especially when you want to trade or sell them).

And most of the ones I have contain the aformentioned bonus material.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:15 pm

I prefer jewel cases.I dont really mind the digis,they are nice but not very durable.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:18 pm

Ya know what I hate more than digi packs? Slipcases! What the heck is the point of those things anyway? I usually throw 'em away.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Yeah, I've only watched that AoR DVD once as well. Good points Freddy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied   Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are digi-packs the future of cd's? in order to survied
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: