Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.

Go down 
+2
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
6 posters
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Empty
PostSubject: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 1:40 pm

Background:

Nightfall In Middle Earth is arguably (who am I arguing with???) my favorite Metal album ever. I also really enjoy ANATO and ATITM. However, mid-era BG leaves me wanting more. I traded/sold Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations and Tales. They weren't bad, just didn't move me.

So, I've avoided Battalions Of Fear and Follow The Blind for a couple years now. I didn't think going further back would reveal an improvement.

I was wrong.

I just listened to Battalions..today (twice now) for the first time ever. Though not as technically tight or as well produced as later stuff, I love the full on speed metal approach. Very good song writing and nice crunchy metal speed. I'm am very happy with BOF and I'd say it's my favorite of the first 5.

This being said, I might have to try the middle three again. As I've re-embraced my speed and thrash leanings from the late 80's and early 90's those three might appeal to me more than even a couple years ago at the peak of my Powermetal wonderment.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 10:40 pm

Scott, I am just now getting into these guys (on the advice of a 22 year old girl I work with; hey, she's really pretty and I am single, so it's a conversation piece for us) and bought NiME as my first foray into the realm of Blind Gaurdian. I absolutely love it. I just bought Imaginations from the Other Side tonite and will probably spin it tomorrow night. I also have two singles from them for Fly and Another Stranger Me. Cool extras on both of these discs. Peace.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 6:26 am

I really like every Blind Guardian album. I don't know if I prefere the early or the later ones more. I admire Battalions of Fear because of its Speed Metal and even some Thrash influences. This album reminds me to Maiden, Priest and especially to early Helloween. They use the standard elements of the classic Helloween EP and add some brutal but melodic Metal. This album is IMHO perfect.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:45 am

That's how I feel, Ghost! I think they mix speed, melody and even some brutal playing quite nicely.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:25 pm

I prefer the earlier BG to the later stuff. SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND (from 92) is my fave. Stuff like NIGHTFALL IN MIDDLE EARTH and especially A NIGHT AT THE OPERA just put me to sleep.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 6:56 pm

Thats cool to hear you like it, Blind Guardinan was the first true metal band I ever discovered and Nightfall in middle earth was the first album of theirs that I bought. It was awesome at the time but now like you, having heard the earlier stuff a little later, I would totally rank the first two as fav's. Nightfall in middle earth didnt put me to sleep like Fat Freddy but after a while the constant vocal portions(story arcs??) just pissed me off. A night at the opera was pretty cool though.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 9:40 pm

I don't care much for the early ones, I'm not much into straight up speed metal. I think ANATO is one of, if not the best power metal lp ever! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 10:14 pm

I am listening to Imaginations from the Other Side right now and I really like it (it's my second spin of the disc so far). At times, Hansi's voice reminds me a bit of Mike Howe when he was with Heretic. Great band. I will definately explore their whole catalog.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:02 am

For reasons I can't fully explain some 2 2 1/2 years ago I traded away the middle 3 of their catalogue. I plan on getting them back at some point.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:41 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
For reasons I can't fully explain some 2 2 1/2 years ago I traded away the middle 3 of their catalogue. I plan on getting them back at some point.

That decision hurts me man. Sad
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 11:15 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Ahh, by the bristling beard of Odin and Ymir's frosty breath, I wish you Godspeed in your quest, good sir!

I need my meds now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 5:02 pm

I like all their stuff. The early speed, the middle power and the more recent hugely layered stuff with it's more folk influence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.   Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pleasant Blind Guardian surprise.
Page 1 of 1