Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Porcupine Tree

Go down 
+15
Tur-Thalion
thejokeriv
A Handful of Wayne
Doomdance
mez
sam
Metallic Blaze
DeathCult
325ad
manny
QuothTheRaven
EvyMetal
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
XYZ
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Quote :
They have the 2-CD version of The Incident at FYE for $19.99...I have the store credit but am hesitant to pull the trigger. What's the consensus on it?

Is there a single disc version of this as well? I'm pretty sure I bought mine as a new release and it was a double disc set from the get go. I guess it could have been a special edition or something. I forget.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 3:59 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
They have the 2-CD version of The Incident at FYE for $19.99...I have the store credit but am hesitant to pull the trigger. What's the consensus on it?

Is there a single disc version of this as well? I'm pretty sure I bought mine as a new release and it was a double disc set from the get go. I guess it could have been a special edition or something. I forget.

I don't know. They only have one. I haven't kept up w/ PT.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

From what I can gather, it's was released as a 2-disc set. Disc 1 is a "concept album", disc 2 is some other songs recorded at the same time, but not part of the disc one story.

Perhaps our resident music elitist S.D. can shed a little more light on it. I'd recommend it though. Either way, it's decent Porcupine Tree. That was the album I saw them touring for. If memory serves, they played the disc 1 concept album in it's entirety, then played for another hour or so of older material.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

From what I can gather, it's was released as a 2-disc set. Disc 1 is a "concept album", disc 2 is some other songs recorded at the same time, but not part of the disc one story.

Perhaps our resident music elitist S.D. can shed a little more light on it. I'd recommend it though. Either way, it's decent Porcupine Tree. That was the album I saw them touring for. If memory serves, they played the disc 1 concept album in it's entirety, then played for another hour or so of older material.

How does it compare to previous albums? Or does it at all?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:22 pm

While I don't remember too many specifics about the album, I'd say it's right in line with their latter day prog-rock material with some metallic influence, as opposed to the earlier, more ambient stuff, if that makes sense.

The concept of the album gets lost on me, like most concept albums do, but it doesn't distract from the listening pleasure of the album as a whole.

Hell, now you got me wanting to hear it again. I'll have to break out that album for a spin in the near future.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 pm

The 2-Disc set is the only version released.

Musically it returns them a little more into Pink Floyd territory, except instead of focusing on the earlier Meddle-era sound like the earlier Porcupine Tree records The Incident sounds like Wilson had been listening to Animals alot. The song Time Flies is the same chord progression as "Dogs" and they also utilize a variation on the "Sheep" riff for the bridge, it was intentional.

Less metallic than Fear Of A Blank Planet and Deadwing, it's a very good record that requires a few listens to really sink in. The second disc are also new songs but they aren't part of the concept so they were released on a separate disc. Wilson doesn't like a single disc to be over 50 minutes, he wants "LP Length" experiences.

I prefer his first solo album "Insurgentes" to The Incident (both released the same year), but both albums are definitely worth owning. You should be able to find it cheaper than $19.99 though, that sounds like a mis-priced set.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I'm considering adding Porcupine Tree back to my "hard copy" list of bands. Listening to my digital copy of Deadwing now.

I love Signify & Lightbulb Sun. Those are my two favorites, even though I am familiar with others. I used to own those, Recordings and the Stars Die box.

They really are an amazing band. They have the 2-CD version of The Incident at FYE for $19.99...I have the store credit but am hesitant to pull the trigger. What's the consensus on it?

$20 seems a little expensive to me. Even though you got a gift card save it and look it up on amazon. The album is good but not worth $20. I think I got mine for like $5 in a used store. It was the first album I picked up of theirs. Maybe even check out FYE.com it might be on there used.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:29 pm

I never follow the story on concept albums...I just listen to the songs. So I'm not really worried about that. But if it's along the lines of the post-Deadwing stuff, then that's cool.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Quote :
You should be able to find it cheaper than $19.99 though, that sounds like a mis-priced set.

Actually that sounds a little low by FYE pricing. Laughing Try Amazon, you can find it for roughly half that price...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GZQY6Q/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:37 pm

The concept of The Incident isn't really a "story" per se. Wilson was driving when he came upon an accident, he said he started looking around at all the different elements going on around him; the injured, the crying family members, the medical personnel, the police, the onlookers, etc. He was struck by how one split second event could affect so many different things around it and how quickly lives could be changed or lost.

In England when there is an accident on the roadway the police put up signs that say "Incident", thus the title.

The extended piece is really just abstract little stories and observations about small, life changing events. It is essentially a 50 minute long song, some longer sections connected with shorter linking material.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 am

I really need to sit down and get lost in this album.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 1:23 pm

So I snagged some PT at lunch at the used store:

Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun (2CD)
In Absentia
Nil Recurring
Signify

They have copies of Fear Of A Blank Planet and Deadwing, but both are promo-stamped.

They also have On The Sunday Of Life...how is that album?

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Quirky pop tunes with mostly electronic musical backing (drum machines, etc).

Honestly, it would be preferable to get the Wilson-produced collection album "Stars Die: The Delerium Years", he was never really happy with the earliest material so he re-mixed them and brought in Gavin Harrison to record actual drums to replace the rudimentary drum machine programming on many tracks. Improved the material by a WIDE margin. Essentially all the best material prior to Signify is included on that 2-CD set.

Porcupine Tree - Page 4 511HruvDsrL._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 1:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Quirky pop tunes with mostly electronic musical backing (drum machines, etc).

Honestly, it would be preferable to get the Wilson-produced collection album "Stars Die: The Delerium Years", he was never really happy with the earliest material so he re-mixed them and brought in Gavin Harrison to record actual drums to replace the rudimentary drum machine programming on many tracks. Improved the material by a WIDE margin. Essentially all the best material prior to Signify is included on that 2-CD set.

Porcupine Tree - Page 4 511HruvDsrL._SL500_AA300_

Thanks for the heads up.

I used to have Recordings...but it was a long time ago. That's B-side kind of stuff, right?

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I used to have Recordings...but it was a long time ago. That's B-side kind of stuff, right?

Not b-sides. Extra material from the Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun albums that wouldn't fit on the original releases. It is absolutely essential and works as a cohesive album. That also contains the original 13-minute version of Even Less that was edited down for the album due to time constraints.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Not b-sides. Extra material from the Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun albums that wouldn't fit on the original releases. It is absolutely essential and works as a cohesive album. That also contains the original 13-minute version of Even Less that was edited down for the album due to time constraints.

Oh...OK then. Cool.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
So I snagged some PT at lunch at the used store:

Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun (2CD)
In Absentia
Nil Recurring
Signify

They have copies of Fear Of A Blank Planet and Deadwing, but both are promo-stamped.

There are really only a handful of songs on On The Sunday of Life that I really like. Some of it is a bit too strange for me. Radioactive Toy and Nine Cats are pretty awesome though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:

There are really only a handful of songs on On The Sunday of Life that I really like. Some of it is a bit too strange for me. Radioactive Toy and Nine Cats are pretty awesome though.

Both of those songs are on the Stars Die compilation, as is another great song " And Swallows Dance Above The Sun".

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I actually enjoy that album of quirky pop tunes. Think Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd (Piper and before, ya know, the singles)...... and I don't mind the drum machine, he did a good job programming it.

I really dig the song Jupiter Island!

I can honestly say that there is not a single release that I do not like.

Up The Downstair is a kick ass album as well! Always Never, excellent song!!!!

I also HIGHLY recommend the Voyage 34 ep..... very Manuel Gottsching/Ash Ra Tempel-ish. Great with the headphones on.... all instrumental.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 am

The first album I would say is solid all the way through is "The Sky Moves Sideways", but I also agree that there is good material on the first couple releases...I just have to be in the right mood for it.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 am

chewie wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I actually enjoy that album of quirky pop tunes. Think Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd (Piper and before, ya know, the singles)...... and I don't mind the drum machine, he did a good job programming it.

I really dig the song Jupiter Island!

I can honestly say that there is not a single release that I do not like.

Up The Downstair is a kick ass album as well! Always Never, excellent song!!!!

I also HIGHLY recommend the Voyage 34 ep..... very Manuel Gottsching/Ash Ra Tempel-ish. Great with the headphones on.... all instrumental.

Wow, you even like Jupiter Island? That's bold. I can't go that far. I do agree with you though that Up the Downstair is killer. I like the whole thing. Like you, "Always Never" is probably my favorite song from that disc.

I also agree with SD on how great The Sky Moves Sideways is. I think getting the 2 disc version is essential (actually it might be difficult not to get it anymore...I don't think the single disc version is sold anymore), because the material on disc 2 is every bit as good as the first disc.

I picked up Voyage 34 last week. I like most of it. I could do without the commentary early on about the status of the acid trip. To me it's kind of hokey. The music is cool. For PT albums I only need to get Metanoia and Stars Die now. And hope that I can somehow find the 'Lazarus' single for a reasonable price.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 am

As I stated in the Haul thread...my copy of Stupid Dream has a manufacturing glitch on Track 12 at the 3:00 mark...ARGH!! Now I have to take it back and put it back on my want list...haha!

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:23 am

Tur-Thalion wrote:

Wow, you even like Jupiter Island? That's bold. I can't go that far. I do agree with you though that Up the Downstair is killer. I like the whole thing. Like you, "Always Never" is probably my favorite song from that disc.
Oh yeah, I like psychedelic pop!

Tur-Thalion wrote:

I also agree with SD on how great The Sky Moves Sideways is. I think getting the 2 disc version is essential (actually it might be difficult not to get it anymore...I don't think the single disc version is sold anymore), because the material on disc 2 is every bit as good as the first disc.
I don't know about the single discs, I bought all of those before he came out with the new versions and then I bought the new versions later(got some when they played The Fillmore on the Deadwing Tour).
This is the only time that I have kept both versions of albums!

Tur-Thalion wrote:

I picked up Voyage 34 last week. I like most of it. I could do without the commentary early on about the status of the acid trip. To me it's kind of hokey. The music is cool.
I find the commentary amusing. I think that they pulled it from an anti drug album/public service announcement/film type things...... I could be wrong, though, but that's what I remember reading back in the early interweb days.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 12:33 pm

This is kind of relevant... I think there was a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it. Something like "dream tours".

You know what I think would be awesome as hell? A tour with Porcupine Tree and Marillion. They're definitely not clones of each other, but for some odd reason I associate the two together in my (somewhat warped) mind.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Wurthless wrote:
This is kind of relevant... I think there was a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it. Something like "dream tours".

You know what I think would be awesome as hell? A tour with Porcupine Tree and Marillion. They're definitely not clones of each other, but for some odd reason I associate the two together in my (somewhat warped) mind.

Steve Wilson did produce 3 or 4 songs on marillion.com.

Just looked on wiki, looks like he produced 5 of the 9 songs.... mixed them as well.

That's a really good album, much better than Radiation.

That would be a killer tour and a looong damn show!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Porcupine Tree
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next