Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Porcupine Tree

Go down 
+15
Tur-Thalion
thejokeriv
A Handful of Wayne
Doomdance
mez
sam
Metallic Blaze
DeathCult
325ad
manny
QuothTheRaven
EvyMetal
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
XYZ
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 7:25 am

I watched their DVD entitled "Arriving Somewhere" over the weekend (actually, I watched it 3 times)...suffice it to say it KICKED MY ASS. Fantastic performance from the Deadwing tour.

Porcupine Tree - Page 2 H94206k52jo
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Saw the show Saturday night and color me impressed. I'm not much of a reviewer, so I'll just give a few brief highlights.

King's X opened. Entertaining, but I'm still not a convert. I just don't get it. Only knew one song from their 45 minute (?) set. 'Over My Head'. Lotsa fans to see them though.

Porcupine Tree played the entire 'Incident' album (well, just disc 1 actually), took a 10 minute break, then played a bunch of other songs. Since I'm a recent fan, most of the songs I'd never heard nor do I know the titles. But they were incredible to watch. Most of the music played was accompanied by video images behind the band as well. The band walked off, then came out for an encore. One of the songs played was called 'Normal' I believe. Steve Wilson said this was a rarely played tune or something which elicited a HUGE roar of approval from the sold-out audience. Minus the 10 minute break, I'd say the band played for 2 and a half hours easily.

All-in-all, a great concert. Looking forward to getting more of their music. I am now a bonafide Porcupine Tree fan.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 7:00 pm

I also am a fan of Porcupine Tree!

I have two of their albums and they are both good!

I would call them progressive hard rock (much like King's X), and it makes total sense why the two would tour together. Extreme is another band that would make good touring mates, as they also have that prog-hard rock sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Extreme and Porcupine Tree have absolutely nothing in common. Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Glad you enjoyed the show MG, I'm very envious. I've been listening to PT nonstop for the past month and I'm beyond a fan now...raving psychotic convert is more like it.

Wilson can do no wrong.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:13 pm

detuned wrote:
Extreme and Porcupine Tree have absolutely nothing in common. Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Glad you enjoyed the show MG, I'm very envious. I've been listening to PT nonstop for the past month and I'm beyond a fan now...raving psychotic convert is more like it.

Wilson can do no wrong.

I was very impressed with Wilson. He was experiencing technical difficulties (broken strings, feedback, etc.) but the guy never missed a beat, never threw a tantrum. And jumping from instrument to instrument. I never saw a roadie work so hard.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:26 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Extreme is another band that would make good touring mates, as they also have that prog-hard rock sound.

I can't believe Im about to say this to someone, but what are you high on?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Uncanny:

Quote :
As I mentioned earlier, Kip and I went to see Porcupine Tree (and King’s X!) this past Thursday. Porcupine Tree was good, if not spectacular… they’re all great players, they write good songs, have an excellent sense of composition and are certainly quite accomplished; but at no point during the performance was I at all wowed.

Except when I realized that “Time Flies,” Movement IX from the first disc of the band’s new record The Incident, is a dead rip-off of Pink Floyd’s “Dogs” (from the Animals record, a personal favorite of mine). Now, Stephen Wilson has certainly never been shy about his love of Floyd, and even if not for that it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who’s heard Porcupine Tree’s music before that the band bows down in the alter of Floyd. But YO, this is like, too similar for comfort. Check it out:

Porcupine Tree – “Time Flies”:
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:39 am

\'arry \'eadbanger Great video
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 12:03 pm

Very cool video!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 4:05 pm

detuned wrote:
LOVE this performance.....

Gavin Harrison is one of the best drummers out there. That guy is amazing and them Sonor drums sound amazing..
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 6:16 am

I found this band about 5 years ago by recommendation, and they ended up clicking almost instantly. This band has been described by many as "The best band that no one knows".

If I was asked what do they sound like? First and foremost they are original, but if I took Rush, and Pink Floyd and put a dash of Tool in a blender this is drink I think you would get. Very talented bunch of people.

I honestly would go as far as to say they are my favorite band now for a couple years. If you was going to check them out, I say get Deadwing, In Absentina, Fear of a Blank Planet (my fav), then Lightbulb Sun and Incident are a close second to them. The rest are all great albums as well, cept some might find the first album to experimental.

If you are a fan I hihgly recommend checking out Insurgents, a solo album by Steve Wilson, the mastermind behind PT. I actually like it more then this years The Inceident (recent release by PT).

There is also an album that is very rare called Recordings, I was lucky enough to find this on mininova, since right now you will not find it anywhere else unless you want to pay 300 + for it. Great album, but rumor has it, they will remaster it and release it in the future once that happens I will have all the albums physically.

Great band, give them time to sink in, once they do you will be hooked.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks for the vid, detuned. Awesome!

This is one of my top five favorite bands. I have not heard a misstep from them yet. Earliest stuff is very Pink Floydian, later albums have more metal elements. My favorite is In Absentia, followed closely by Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. I haven't lived with the Incident long enough to rank it yet, but I really like it. Of their earlier albums, I like The Sky Moves Sideways a lot. The layout of the album is very similar to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. If you haven't heard them yet, check them out. As metal fans, I would agree with mez, start with In Absentia and Deadwing. They were recorded while Wilson was producing Opeth and I think he and Ã…kerfelt influenced each other during that time.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 1:02 pm

My favorite album that I have by them is also "In Absentia". Awesome album!
Back to top Go down
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student
Doomdance

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 9:03 am

I have the impression that Porcupine Tree is so much bigger overhere in Europe.. I like all the albums put out by them, though The Incident is the weakest imo.

I would also like to point out the Blackfield albums to you. It's a band with Steve Wilson and (worldfamous in Israel) Aviv Geffen. They have already releases 2 albums, however not metal more depressive pop. But beautifull songs and sound.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:48 am

Quote :
I have the impression that Porcupine Tree is so much bigger overhere in Europe..

I could see that. They wouldn't have "main stream" appeal to the dullards in the States (perhaps if Steve wrote a NASCAR song), but Europe & Japan seem to be more accepting.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
My favorite album that I have by them is also "In Absentia". Awesome album!

I'm new to this band and the cds that I have so far I think this is my favorite too.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Porcupine Tree - Page 2 413s9DnAvkL._SL500_AA300_
Anesthetize - coming June 15th

Live DVD/Blu-Ray recorded on the Fear Of A Blank Planet tour. The concert includes the FOABP album performed in it's entirety plus selections from their entire career, running time approx 2 hour 15 min.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Do you know if this is going to be released as a cd as well? I'd never have the time or desire to watch a dvd.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Thinking about picking up one of their CD's - where should I start?
Back to top Go down
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student
Doomdance

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:21 pm

In Absentia & Deadwing should do the trick...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:22 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Do you know if this is going to be released as a cd as well? I'd never have the time or desire to watch a dvd.

There is a limited edition version with CDs, but it's already sold out.

However, in this wonderful world of technology...if you haven't figured out how to rip audio from a DVD, then you need my help.

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:27 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Thinking about picking up one of their CD's - where should I start?

Honestly man, you really can't go wrong with anything in their catalog. Porcupine Tree is now one of my favorite bands of all time, easily...and I've only been listening to them for about a year.

For a beginner, the above suggestions of In Absentia and Deadwing are very good, Lightbulb Sun or Stupid Dream would also be good choices.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Porcupine Tree
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next