Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Porcupine Tree

Go down 
+15
Tur-Thalion
thejokeriv
A Handful of Wayne
Doomdance
mez
sam
Metallic Blaze
DeathCult
325ad
manny
QuothTheRaven
EvyMetal
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
XYZ
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 3:44 pm

My friend let me borrow the album "Deadwing" by Porcupine Tree. Can anyone tell me more about this band? What are they like? Good albums by them?
Back to top Go down

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 4:06 pm

xyz wrote:
My friend let me borrow the album "Deadwing" by Porcupine Tree. Can anyone tell me more about this band? What are they like? Good albums by them?
I can tell you that they've somehow gotten popular enough that their recent EP costs $16.99! And it's a domestic release, not an import. People love this band...for some reason.

I also own Deadwing. It's a good album, but I was under the impression that this band was some amazing prog-metal/rock band. They really sound more like an alternative rock band to me. Maybe the rest of their stuff is different, I don't know. I do know that their albums are way too expensive for me to bother finding out. Their used albums are $12.99 here. Pffft!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 4:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
xyz wrote:
I can tell you that they've somehow gotten popular enough that their recent EP costs $16.99! And it's a domestic release, not an import. People love this band...for some reason.

I also own Deadwing. It's a good album, but I was under the impression that this band was some amazing prog-metal/rock band. They really sound more like an alternative rock band to me. Maybe the rest of their stuff is different, I don't know. I do know that their albums are way too expensive for me to bother finding out. Their used albums are $12.99 here. Pffft!

My brother-in-law and his sons are big fans and they promised me some cdr copies to check out, but never delivered. And yes, they seem to have a very hardcore following and their cd's are hard to come by and somewhat expensive. I too was under the impression that they were prog-rock. Have they changed to a more alt-rock sound?
Back to top Go down

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 4:22 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
My brother-in-law and his sons are big fans and they promised me some cdr copies to check out, but never delivered. And yes, they seem to have a very hardcore following and their cd's are hard to come by and somewhat expensive. I too was under the impression that they were prog-rock. Have they changed to a more alt-rock sound?
I don't know. Everything about Deadwing just sounds like creative alt-rock to me. You can call it progressive, but I would still slap on alt-rock right after.

Not what I'd call prog.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 3:17 am

There are hints of prog but it seems more like layered music then prog. i seem to call it experimental rock more than anything else. There are a few gems with this band like the song Blackest Eyes thats one killer tune.

Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 3:47 am

I think that Fear Of A Blank Planet is their best release. I just started listening to them not too long ago, not too shabby.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 4:25 pm

PT is huge in prog circles. I personally really like their stuff. Each album has its own characteristics. "In Absentia" is probably the heaviest, followed by "Deadwing." Their earlier stuff sounds like a continuation of Pink Floyd, especially "The Sky Moves Sideways." Steven Wilson, their guitarist/songwriter/mastermind, produced "Blackwater Park" through "Damnation" for Opeth.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 4:14 pm

I recently picked up my first Porcupine Tree disc, Fear of a Blank Planet, and I'm digging it. I found a gold-stamp promo copy for $4. I'm sort of surprised because this isn't typical of the music I usually listen to. Sure, I like some prog-metal when I'm in the mood, but generally I stay away from the prog-rock stuff. Just doesn't do anything for me. But I'm really enjoying this one and I just may get some more.

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Porcupine Tree will be heading out on a fall tour...with King's X!!!!

happy

Dates announced so far (more to come as they are confirmed):

Mon 21 Sept: CLEVELAND, OH - HOUSE OF BLUES
Tue 22 Sept: CHICAGO, IL - VIC THEATER
Thu 24 Sept: NY, NY - TERMINAL 5
Sat 26 Sept: PHILLY - ELECTRIC FACTORY
Sun 27 Sept: BOSTON, MA - HOUSE OF BLUES
Tue 29 Sept: MONTREAL - METROPOLIS
Wed 30 Sept: TORONTO - QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Not really a good tour.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:15 pm

detuned wrote:
Porcupine Tree will be heading out on a fall tour...with King's X!!!!

happy

Dates announced so far (more to come as they are confirmed):

Mon 21 Sept: CLEVELAND, OH - HOUSE OF BLUES
Tue 22 Sept: CHICAGO, IL - VIC THEATER
Thu 24 Sept: NY, NY - TERMINAL 5
Sat 26 Sept: PHILLY - ELECTRIC FACTORY
Sun 27 Sept: BOSTON, MA - HOUSE OF BLUES
Tue 29 Sept: MONTREAL - METROPOLIS
Wed 30 Sept: TORONTO - QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE

Hmmmm, I might have to check this out. Were did you get this info from? I went to the Electric Factory's website and it's not listed. Not yet anyway.

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:15 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Not really a good tour.

the lineup, or the dates?
Back to top Go down

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Hmmmm, I might have to check this out. Were did you get this info from? I went to the Electric Factory's website and it's not listed. Not yet anyway.

I have a friend that's a rabid Porcupine Tree nut, I believe he got it from their newsletter.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Holy Crap King's X and Porcupine Tree that sounds killer! No Florida dates! angry
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 12:26 pm

detuned wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I have a friend that's a rabid Porcupine Tree nut, I believe he got it from their newsletter.

It's listed on the website now. I just got an e-mail from my brother-in-law. Hopefully we'll have our tickets before the end of the week. Yippee-skippee!

Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Bump! Fans Let me hear from you. I just got the new sound files for the new album "The Incident" from Road Runner, wow this is some good stuff!
Back to top Go down

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Very cool, I'm REALLY looking forward to this album. I am a recent Porcupine Tree convert...in fact, they are easily now one of my favorite current bands. Absolutely incredible stuff!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Just recently started checking them out more thanks to detuned, and I dig them, alot Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 7:27 am

Amazing band...my faves from them are Signify, Lightbulb Sun and Deadwing...but I've yet to hear a bad album from them...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:09 am

I still only own one cd by them (Fear of a Blank Planet), but my brother-in-law has promised me a cdr comp before we go to see them live in September so I can get more familiar with them.

Is Porcupine Tree an actual "band" or is it more of a one-man project with studio musicians?

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:42 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I still only own one cd by them (Fear of a Blank Planet), but my brother-in-law has promised me a cdr comp before we go to see them live in September so I can get more familiar with them.

Is Porcupine Tree an actual "band" or is it more of a one-man project with studio musicians?

It's like Nine Inch Nails, but good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:52 am

DeathCult wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

It's like Nine Inch Nails, but good.

So it's kinda like one master-mind behind the whole project with other musicians following his lead.

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:56 am

PORCUPINE TREE is a band...same members for quite a while now, I believe...but Steven Wilson is principle songwriter...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:08 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
PORCUPINE TREE is a band...same members for quite a while now, I believe...but Steven Wilson is principle songwriter...

Yea, that's kinda the vibe I'm getting. From what I'm reading, it seems like Steven Wilson is the driving force behind the band. Even with the same members for the last few recordings, he could replace them and it wouldn't make much of a difference in sound. Or maybe it would. I dunno. I'm just looking forward to seeing them live next month.

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Porcupine Tree WAS a one man band until the Signify album, it was all Steven Wilson prior to that (with occasional guest musicians).

They still commonly bring in guest musicians (Alex Lifeson & Robert Fripp on Blank Planet, Adrian Belew on Deadwing, etc.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Porcupine Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree   Porcupine Tree Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Porcupine Tree
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next