Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City

Go down 
+11
Smindas
Thrasher73
mc666
James B.
SAHB Healer
Olafsto
White_Mage
Fat Freddy
kmorg
tohostudios
rattpoison
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Empty
PostSubject: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 7:34 am

So whos your favourite band/artist from your home city/town/state or wherever yee come from?

Mine is Nick Cave's post-punk rock n' roll terrorists the Birthday Party from Melbourne.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:11 am

Gravity Kills - St. Louis

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:17 am

Artch - Sarpsborg, Norway

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 2:43 pm

New Jersey - Overkill, the Misfits, Twisted Sister

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Only Living Witness comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 3:06 pm

Nemesis from Yukon Territory there still just a hometown band but there defently going places
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Mandal, Norway. Just a small town, but some really good bands:
Communic, Harm, Dimenzion Psychosphere, Defmazjiin, The Violent Years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 5:11 pm

Monstrosity, Morbid Angel, and Deicide from Tampa.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 7:00 pm

Crow, Gypsy and Cain from Minneapolis. I never really got into the "Minneapolis Sound" of Husker Du, Soul Asylum, Replacements, etc. even though I practically grew up with some of those guys (I didn't know any of them very well). My favorite band from that scene was called Riflesport.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 7:56 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Crow, Gypsy and Cain from Minneapolis. I never really got into the "Minneapolis Sound" of Husker Du, Soul Asylum, Replacements, etc. even though I practically grew up with some of those guys (I didn't know any of them very well). My favorite band from that scene was called Riflesport.

I love Soul Asylum. One of the kings of "jangle pop".

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 7:58 pm

I will go with Tesla.... I am not originaly from here in Sacramento, but have spent alot of years up here. Originaly from So. Calif.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 8:01 pm

the Misfits

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 8:04 pm

I grew up near Allentown, PA; about 65 miles from Philadelphia. So if I use that as Native City, I can claim:

Cinderella
The Hooters

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Since I was born in Winnipeg and raised in a nearby town, I'm gonna go with the Guess Who.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 8:39 pm

Manowar, but not a big fan.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 1:01 am

SAHB Healer wrote:

Having Husker Du and the Replacements come from were you are, is like having the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in your backyard.

But other than the Replacements and Prince, my fav artist from the twin cities is the Melvin James led Crash Street Kids. Who released one of thee greatest rock n' roll records ever in '82. Kinda like the missing link between the Only Ones and the Replacements.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 1:47 am

rattpoison wrote:

Having Husker Du and the Replacements come from were you are, is like having the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in your backyard.

But other than the Replacements and Prince, my fav artist from the twin cities is the Melvin James led Crash Street Kids. Who released one of thee greatest rock n' roll records ever in '82. Kinda like the missing link between the Only Ones and the Replacements.

I was a fan of all of them when they were harder punk bands, but their popular pop just never did it for me. God help me, lord knows I tried. In fact a couple of lesser guys from that scene were major buddies of mine, I still hear from them. Kevin Bowe has become a very successful songwriter, mentoring Jonny Lang, touring with Paul Westerberg on guitar, writing for everybody from Etta James to Skynyrd. But I never liked his music. And Bob Rue married Holly Vincent of Holly and the Italians. Bob can write a good psych song, but he's pretty much Minneapolis pop influenced too. So I don't like a lot of his stuff either.
I should have been born in Scotland or Sweden or Canada.
I did like the Suburbs though.

Last edited by SAHB Healer on Mon May 05, 2008 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 2:01 am

"Kiss Me On The Bus" or "Johnny's (Thunders) Is Gonna Die" i think i'll take the former.

But did you know anything about the Crash Street Kids, i can't find any information on them. Which is weird cause they were practically the prototype for the 'Mats. (Well that's my theory).
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 2:21 am

No, I don't remember them at all. Very confusing. There is a current band from Arizona that is along the same lines called the Crash Street Kids. Totally up your alley, I assume you know them. But the original Crash Street Kids were supposed to be like the Shoes, from Chicago, whom I did like. More of a polite variety of power pop. Smithereens type. I'm completely confused.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 2:36 am

I'm aware of the Arizona band as well, 70's inspired glammy power pop (Big Sahb fans i gather). All the right influences just haven't written that one song that will hook me. The singer has a pleasant Ian Hunter twang though.

Although the original one that i speak of was more closer to the Only Ones than the Shoes (Great band). Really biting hard edged pop rock with the odd hard rock guitar here and there (Song titles include "Life's So Cold", "Corporate Girl" etc...)

You know it's funny because before i even new of these bands with the name Crash Street Kids. I always thought it would be a good name for a band after i listened to the Mott The Hoople track of the same name.

And that Kevin Bowe, his songwriting features on my favourite 'modern' Etta James record Let's Roll. A quite bluesy earthy rock n' soul affair.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 2:50 am

I put out some feelers to try and get some info on the original Crash Street Kids. And Bowe, he is amazingly versitile. He is the person that introduced me to modern punk; by taking me to a Suicide Commandos concert and giving me a Vibrators record. He liked me because I was already into the Stooges I guess.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 3:02 am

Thanks, the Crash Street Kids approach to writing pop songs was almost nihilistic and scathing of then modern society which was at odds with the inane sunny power pop of their contemparies that arose from the new wave scene thinking they were going to be the next Knack when in most cases they weren't even the next Romantics.

I guess that's why i like it so much, but it is definately the finest 'one album and out' band i've ever come across.

I guess back then all you Stooges weirdoes had to stick together Laughing
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 8:19 am

BRIDE-West Point,Kentucky
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 8:46 am

My native city is technically London, seeing as I lived there for the first 13 years of my life and will be moving back there in September. So I'm going to go with Maiden ;P

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 9:44 am

tohostudios wrote:
I grew up near Allentown, PA; about 65 miles from Philadelphia. So if I use that as Native City, I can claim:

Cinderella
The Hooters

I'd say the Cinder-fellas are my favorits too, although Heaven's Edge would be a close second. If they kept it together for a few more albums, they woulda been huge. Britney Fox are Philly boys too, but I wasn't much of a fan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City   Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hometown Heroes - Your Fav Artist From Your Native City
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next