Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Helloween - "Savage"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Helloween - "Savage" Empty
PostSubject: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 10:53 pm

I find that this song is one of the coolest tunes in Helloween's catalogue, despite never having been release on a studio album. It has an almost thrash-like sound to it, which sounds really unique with Kiske on vocals. I think this song would've sounded magnificent with Hansen on vocals; it's got that raw, under-polished Walls of Jericho sound to it. Would also sound great with Deris on vocals, but I think the guitars would have to be flatter.

Thoughts on this song?
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 11:52 pm

Good song, as everything with Hansen/kiske on vocals... the Deris era = no-no for me

Thanks for the inspiration, I'm going to listen to first two Keepers tonigh at the gym
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 8:04 am

I love this song, always have. I never understood why it wasn't on an album, definitely one of the most aggressive Kiske-era songs, and very catchy too. Really, I think it's a song that fits any era of Helloween - be it with Kai, Kiske or Deris on vocals. It could work well for any of them, I'd love to see it get some recognition from the band in a live concert.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:31 am

I bought the cassette single for this way back in 1988 or 89. I forget what the single was but the b-side was Savage. cool tune.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 3:42 pm

Yeahhh, SAVAGE is a great song. JUDAS was a great song too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 1:07 pm

Kiske wrote it while being on a Anthrax kick, which you can definately hear, it bears quite some resemblance to how Anthrax were musically at that time. Wow - I wonder when the last time was KISKE listened to anything as remotely heavy as Anthrax... lol!

Helloween actually have loads of great B-sides. There are so many of them from the Deris-era that should had been on the regular albums. "Deliver us from temptation" from the Dark Ride sessions is one of my favourite Helloween songs ever (and I'm a Helloween fanatic at that). The best B-side from the Keeper II record is still "Livin ain't no crime" for me.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 2:07 pm

'Livin' Ain't No Crime' is a fantastic song. That main riff is so jolly, I love it. I had no idea Kiske wrote 'Savage' though, seems far too heavy for his taste.

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 7:47 pm

St Patrik wrote:
Kiske wrote it while being on a Anthrax kick, which you can definately hear, it bears quite some resemblance to how Anthrax were musically at that time. Wow - I wonder when the last time was KISKE listened to anything as remotely heavy as Anthrax... lol!

Helloween actually have loads of great B-sides. There are so many of them from the Deris-era that should had been on the regular albums. "Deliver us from temptation" from the Dark Ride sessions is one of my favourite Helloween songs ever (and I'm a Helloween fanatic at that). The best B-side from the Keeper II record is still "Livin ain't no crime" for me.

Totally. The bonus disc from the expanded version of Time of the Oath is OUTSTANDING. Also, the 2 leftover tracks on the 2 cd version of Gambling With the Devil are awesome. Helloween has so much quality music. It's bands like them, AC/DC, Motorhead, and Overkill that I can't get enough of. I love consistency.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 5:26 pm

The story goes Weiki originally had "Livin'..." planned for the album, and "Dr Stein" as the goofy B-side track. Dont know why that didnt happen - probably the band convinced him of the opposite. Just imagine if "Livin'..." had been the staple at the gigs since then. I wouldve probably been as sick of it as I am of "Stein" now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 3:25 pm

Classic Helloween song - the golden years of this band in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 4:08 pm

I was blasting on some Keepers Part 2 today, been a long time since I've given that a listen. Such a fantastic album, even with its slightly dodgy production. I've been on a huge Helloween / Gamma Ray kick recently, come to think of it. Gamma Ray's 'Time To Break Free' is definitely one of the best songs Helloween never wrote ;P

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 5:13 pm

Smindas wrote:
I was blasting on some Keepers Part 2 today, been a long time since I've given that a listen. Such a fantastic album, even with its slightly dodgy production. I've been on a huge Helloween / Gamma Ray kick recently, come to think of it. Gamma Ray's 'Time To Break Free' is definitely one of the best songs Helloween never wrote ;P

TTBF is by far the worst track on that otherwise great album IMO. Not an awful track, but I wouldve preffered it if Kai had sung it. I dont know, I think Kiske sounds bored on all the "guest" appearances he has done, like hes ran out of steam and just takes the money and leave. I just dont know why people still get the fuzz about him in this day and age.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 7:03 pm

...the worst track? Are you kidding me? I'm far from a Kiske fanboy, but his performance on 'Time To Break Free' is fantastic! I can't imagine Kai singing the song, I think Kai's great and all, but that song was made for Kiske. I agree that Kiske can sound bored on some guest appearances (specifically the Aina - Days of Rising Doom one, but that CD is generally quite mediocre), but he does a great job on Land of the Free.

People 'get the fuzz' about him because the man has a great voice and a vocal style that was effectively the blue print for most power metal singers. It's clean, yet with a tinge of roughness and he has fantastic range, anunciation and projection skills. Whatever 'day and age' you're in, he's a great singer, no matter how you slice it.

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 2:21 am

Yes, worst track on that CD. However not bad as such as I said, only in its company and I wouldve preffered Kiske would had sung it the way he used to sing. But his fire was gone by then. I dont hear any roughnes or aggression in his voice. Only boredness.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 8:11 am

Well, of course I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. But really, give the song another listen - Kiske is putting a lot of effort in to it, it's really not the dull performance you're making it out to be.

PostSubject: Re: Helloween - "Savage"   Helloween - "Savage" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helloween - "Savage"
Page 1 of 1