Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Weekend CD Haul...

Go down 
+6
Required Fields
mc666
AchrisK
kmorg
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

My Weekend CD Haul... Empty
PostSubject: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 12:22 pm

What's your thoughts on these CDs?

SEVENDUST - Alpha
SCREAMER - Target: Earth
LIVING DEATH - Meal Revolution
SOILWORK - A Predator's Portrait
LOUDNESS - Dragon
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 1:18 pm

Haven't heard any of them, Ult, but I'm curious to hear what you think of that Loudness CD when you get a chance to spin it. I love Loudness' 80s stuff but don't know much about their material after 1992's S/T (where Masaki from EZO took over the vocal slot)... I'm told that their discography gets a little...er... weird from there on, and since most of those 90s albums were only released in Japan, I didn't want to risk big $$ on imports if they were going to suck...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 1:31 pm

Screamer and Soilwork both rule!!

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 1:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Haven't heard any of them, Ult, but I'm curious to hear what you think of that Loudness CD when you get a chance to spin it. I love Loudness' 80s stuff but don't know much about their material after 1992's S/T (where Masaki from EZO took over the vocal slot)... I'm told that their discography gets a little...er... weird from there on, and since most of those 90s albums were only released in Japan, I didn't want to risk big $$ on imports if they were going to suck...

Well, I'm sort of like you. I steered clear of their 90's releases because of reading some on-line reviews. I decided I'd wait to get them in trades or really cheap before buying them. If you are expecting their 80's sound, you will be very disappointed. On their 90's releases, they do a lot of experimenting. I tend to like it, but it's not straight forward heavy metal. There are some less than stellar tracks on "Dragon". "Dogshit" a song that has a lot of nu-metal influence and even has vocalist Masaki Yamada rapping. BLECH! However, there is some good material as well. "9 Miles High" is a mixture of classic thrash metal layered with some 70's wah-wah guitar from Akira. "Wicked Witches" on the other had has a slow, doomy, almost stoner rock/metal sound. Both good songs, but very different from "Thunder in the East" and "Lightning Strikes".
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 2:03 pm

Where did you get LIVING DEATH - Meal Revolution?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 2:10 pm

kmorg wrote:
Screamer and Soilwork both rule!!

Weird, they are the two CDs that I would not have picked from that list givin the choice.

Living Death all the wayyyyyyyyyyy
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 2:25 pm

i have both Living Death & Loudness. have not heard any of the others you listed.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 2:31 pm

I got the Living Death and Loudness from a trader in France. He traded them for an Ultimatum CD and a couple burns. He said that Ultimatum have an underground following in France, but our CDs are very hard to come by. He said he only had CDR burns.

The Living Death CD is excellent.

The Screamer is excellent as well, but the mastering sucks. I wish New Rennaisance would have remastered it before they re-released it on CD.

I am a huge Sevendust fan, so I love the new CD. It echoes back to their roots a bit, combining the angst and aggression of the newer material with the melodic tendencies of Home and the s/t.

The Soilwork is gonna take a few spins to sink in.

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 2:36 pm

i HAD A COUPLE OF sPOILWORK cdS. i THINK i ACTUALLY KEPT ONE, BUT i RARELY SPIN IT. nOT A BIG FAN OF what I call "nu-thrash".

ack
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 2:44 pm

That Screamer album is great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 2:44 pm

Soilwork...
I label them as melodic death or melodeath. They remind me of old In Flames. They mix in power metal riffs, some thrash riffs, keyboards and aggressive vocals. Not a bad sound, but one that will probably take more than one listen to totally digest.

I had Steelbath Suicide (or something like that) some years ago and traded it off. It didn't really float my boat. This album seems to be a bit better.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 2:52 pm

I tend to lump Soilwork in with The Haunted and other bands I can't remember that had a thrashiness to them, but also had this modern edge and slight dullness of songwriting that turned me off.

ack
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 3:01 pm

AchrisK wrote:
I tend to lump Soilwork in with The Haunted and other bands I can't remember that had a thrashiness to them, but also had this modern edge and slight dullness of songwriting that turned me off.

ack

I can see that about Soilwork.

SCREAMER - Target: Earth

Sort of fills a Queensryche shaped hole between the EP and The Warning.
(Hey, think I'll use that in my review. Very Happy )

ult
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 3:27 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Well, I'm sort of like you. I steered clear of their 90's releases because of reading some on-line reviews. I decided I'd wait to get them in trades or really cheap before buying them. If you are expecting their 80's sound, you will be very disappointed. On their 90's releases, they do a lot of experimenting. I tend to like it, but it's not straight forward heavy metal. There are some less than stellar tracks on "Dragon". "Dogshit" a song that has a lot of nu-metal influence and even has vocalist Masaki Yamada rapping. BLECH! However, there is some good material as well. "9 Miles High" is a mixture of classic thrash metal layered with some 70's wah-wah guitar from Akira. "Wicked Witches" on the other had has a slow, doomy, almost stoner rock/metal sound. Both good songs, but very different from "Thunder in the East" and "Lightning Strikes".

So in other words, I shouldn't bother unless I can get it cheap eh? Thanx, that's kinda what I figured. Smile
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 3:55 pm

I would say SCREAMER and LIVING DEATH (f****** hell, their first albums+mini´s were increible great. Pure speed metal!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 4:18 pm

Anthrax - POT
Dio - The last in line
BLS - Shot to hell
Trivium - the crusade
Alice Cooper - welcome to my nightmare
megadeth - the system has failed

In ebay won -
black sabbath - vol 4
paul stanley - live to win
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 4:27 pm

That Screamer rawks!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 4:46 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Haven't heard
any of them, Ult, but I'm curious to hear what you think of that
Loudness CD when you get a chance to spin it. I love Loudness' 80s
stuff but don't know much about their material after 1992's S/T (where
Masaki from EZO took over the vocal slot)... I'm told that their
discography gets a little...er... weird from there on, and since most
of those 90s albums were only released in Japan, I didn't want to risk
big $$ on imports if they were going to suck...

Well,
I'm sort of like you. I steered clear of their 90's releases because of
reading some on-line reviews. I decided I'd wait to get them in trades
or really cheap before buying them. If you are expecting their 80's
sound, you will be very disappointed. On their 90's releases, they do a
lot of experimenting. I tend to like it, but it's not straight forward
heavy metal. There are some less than stellar tracks on "Dragon".
"Dogshit" a song that has a lot of nu-metal influence and even has
vocalist Masaki Yamada rapping. BLECH! However, there is some good
material as well. "9 Miles High" is a mixture of classic thrash metal
layered with some 70's wah-wah guitar from Akira. "Wicked Witches" on
the other had has a slow, doomy, almost stoner rock/metal sound. Both
good songs, but very different from "Thunder in the East" and
"Lightning Strikes".

So in other words, I shouldn't bother unless I can get it cheap eh? Thanx, that's kinda what I figured. Smile

Yup, I wouldn't pay $30+ dollars for the imports. Wait and find 'em cheaper, used or on Ebay. Like I said, there is some good stuff on them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 6:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I am a huge Sevendust fan, so I love the new CD. It echoes back to their roots a bit, combining the angst and aggression of the newer material with the melodic tendencies of Home and the s/t.
I've always felt like they could be a great band, but always fall short. All of their albums bring me to the same spot: I love half the songs, the other half are just OK, at best. I mean, I'm a fan, but I just don't think they're consistent enough.

Quote :
The Soilwork is gonna take a few spins to sink in.
I love Soilwork's early stuff, but I personally think they peaked with Natural Born Chaos, and have leveled off since then. They haven't quite matched the greatness that Devin Townsend brought out of them on Natural Born Chaos, but they clearly learned a lot from him and have released two great albums since.

Have you heard Natural Born Chaos?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 9:47 pm

Quote :

No. Not yet.

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 12:24 am

ultmetal wrote:
Quote :
No. Not yet.
It's excellent. A good dose of clean singing and melody. Here's a sample:

AS WE SPEAK

This is the album where the old school fans jumped ship and cried "Sellout!" Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 12:38 am

the only Soilwork i liked was Steel Bath Suicide.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 8:14 am

Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Quote :
No. Not yet.
It's excellent. A good dose of clean singing and melody. Here's a sample:

AS WE SPEAK

This is the album where the old school fans jumped ship and cried "Sellout!" Rolling Eyes

Cool. Thanks. I'll check it out.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 1:21 pm

I agree with Eyesore.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 1:26 pm

I've got Natural Born Chaos for trade, just so interested parties know....

Shameless plug there, but hey....I NEED MORE THRASH!!!

PostSubject: Re: My Weekend CD Haul...   My Weekend CD Haul... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Weekend CD Haul...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: