Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sammy Hagar solo material

Go down 
+14
Sons-Of-Vengeance
DallasBlack
Neuropete
akeldama
manny
metalinmyveins
ramreb
the sentinel
Wargod
DeathCult
Tall Tyrion
stepcousin
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:37 am

I was listening to alot of Sammy Hagar's solo albums last week, and I remember reading years ago that almost every album that Sammy Hagar has appeared on features songs about exterrestrial life or space travel, for example:

Space Station #5 -Montrose
Spaceage Sacrifice-Montrose
Love Walks In-5150
Burning Down the City-VOA

and many others, those are the only ones I can think, I just thought it was interesting that red rocker writes about this subject so often.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 2:16 pm

I have never really been a fan of Hagar. Personally, I think he is probably a nice guy to hang around with (certainly nicer than the Van Halen brothers). Some of his individual songs are ok, but his material in general is a bit derivitive. I like Van Hagar somewhat, but it does not hold a candle to the David Lee Roth era stuff.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 8:22 am

I seem to be one of the few who feels Hagar gets slammed way too much becuase he was chosen to replace DLR (sure the souind changed but why not blame the Van Halen brothers themselves-after all, it is their band). It wasn't his fault DLR and VH had a rift nor that VH hired him on. Besides I like Van Hagar as well as classic VH. I recently picked up Standing Hampton pretty cheap and I quite like it. It is some good melodic hard rock and makes me want to explore his solo material even more.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 am

I like a lot of Sammy's solo stuff. It's much better than Van Hagar IMO. Standing Hampton. Three Lock Box and VOA are all good.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Sons-Of-Vengeance

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Big Hagar fan. Sammy knows how to write a good rock song. Every summer never fails, Sammy comes through town and its a big deal amongst friends to go see the show. Always a great show and always a great party.

Is it just me or did Sammy lift the riff from Mas Tiquela from Gary Glitters Rock n Roll pt 2? Sort of maybe? Ok maybe not.
Back to top Go down
Sons-Of-Vengeance
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sons-Of-Vengeance

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Quote :
I seem to be one of the few who feels Hagar gets slammed way too much becuase he was chosen to replace DLR (sure the souind changed but why not blame the Van Halen brothers themselves-after all, it is their band). It wasn't his fault DLR and VH had a rift nor that VH hired him

In my opinion Hagar joining VH definately didnt hurt his career, or pocket book for that matter. The only ones complaing are the DLR die hards. To each his own. And for those DLR die hards I hope you enjoyed shelling out the dinero's last summer for a less that stellar reunion performance. Worst VH show I've ever seen and I've seen a lot since 1984.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Van Hagar sucked, but I love Sammy's solo stuff. 3 Lock Box and VOA are classics IMO.
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 1:47 pm

I've never been a big fan of his but I do enjoy the stuff I've heard from him. I do go and see him live whenever he comes through town as it is always a good show.

I really haven't heard much of the post VH stuff besides what I've heard live.

I only have Three Lock Box on vinyl and VOA and the self-titled one (later renamed I Never Said Goodbye) on cassette.

One thing that has always irritated me is his overuse of love in seemingly every song. I mean how many songs has he done, solo and VH,that had love in the title? Hell he even named one of his kids love in a 5000 year old dead language.

Like I said he puts on a great show but I could probably do without the VH set they usually do. I mean it was allright when VH wasn't around just to hear those songs but they got nothing on the real thing. I remember in late 07 when VH and Hagar were both touring and I saw VH one Sunday night and the next I saw Sammy. And Sammy and Mike Anthony doing VH songs was like watching nothing more than a average bar band covering those songs.

I don't know I mean he seems like a great guy with a great catalog of music but it has never really hit me that closely. I enjoy it but am not totally fanatical about it by any means.
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 1:52 pm

I agree with a lot that was said already but the whole Hagar ruined VH and turned them into a pop band I never really bought. Like someone else said it wasn't just him in the group and it wasn't like it was his solo band that did whatever he wanted. They obviuosly went the direction they wanted I think that is part of the reason DLR left in the first place.

I do enjoy the fact that him and Micheal Anthony at least get out there about every year and bring us the music we want to hear and are having a good time instead of the VH brothers just wasting years doing nothing.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 1:57 pm

I have his VOA album and once had his Marching to Mars one too. I think he's a great singer with a cool rasp in his voice.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:57 am

Standing Hampton and 3 Lock Box are great! My fave track is: I Don't Need Love off of 3 Lock Box
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Been listening to a lot of Hagar the last 2 days in anticipation of "Chickenfoot".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 4:49 pm

The first Hagar records I got were these (via yard sale)

Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 J16844o8olySammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 C931638k02b

Haven't heard either album since the 80's, but I remember them fondly. I always liked the song "This Planet's On Fire (Burn In Hell)".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Sammy has a song called "The Pits". That song used to crack us up as kids because it was so goofy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 4:56 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Sammy has a song called "The Pits". That song used to crack us up as kids because it was so goofy.

Yep! Of course calling yourself "The Red Rocker" is completely serious. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sammy Hagar solo material   Sammy Hagar solo material - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sammy Hagar solo material
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2