Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's Happened To The 80s Riff?

Go down 
+9
Troublezone
Stender
MetalRob331
the sentinel
kmorg
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
James B.
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 9:59 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

That's what I mean! Man, I frickin' love that riff!

Quote :

Bands like Pantera killed the 80's riff. Ironic, eh?

I'd say Nirvana killed the 80's riff. Pantera was always packed with catchy (not necessarily 80's) riffs but they didn't help kill it either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I guess I don't know what you guys are talking about because I still get killer riffs stuck in my head from new stuff all the time. I had the chorus to "We Don't Celebrate Sundays" by Hardcore Superstar stuck in my head for days.

And the Airbourne album is filled with guitar riffs IMO.

Are you sure you're not viewing this subject through the prism of nostalgia?
I'm not saying these bands don't write great songs or riffs, but I don't hear classic riffs. This isn't about nostalgia; it's about how the song is constructed. The riffs might be great, but they're not quite up there with the classics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:08 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

That's what I mean! Man, I frickin' love that riff!

Quote :

Bands like Pantera killed the 80's riff. Ironic, eh?
That makes no sense, of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:09 pm

Sure it does. Pantera ushered in the popular "heavier" sound of the 90's. Then it seemed like everyone wanted to be heavier than Pantera. The art of the riff was lost in the shuffle.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:11 pm

Personally, I didn't much care for Pantera past "Cowboys"
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:13 pm

It is related somewhat. But to illustrate my point, the art of the riff changed in the early 90's. Listen to Helmet's Meantime album (which is, consequently, my favorite metal album of the 90's) and that is chocked full of the "new style" of riffage that was introduced in the 90's.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:17 pm

He's right, Darrel was a riff master for his time.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:32 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Sure it does. Pantera ushered in the popular "heavier" sound of the 90's. Then it seemed like everyone wanted to be heavier than Pantera. The art of the riff was lost in the shuffle.

So your saying a riff can't be heavy? What does being heavy have to do with crafting good riffs? I personally love heavy riffs ever since i discovered Sabbath. Riffs can be heavy and melodic at the same time, 70's, 80's whatever...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:36 pm

No, the "80's riff" in question isn't comperable to say Pantera's "Walk" riff. Apples and Oranges. But both strong riffs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:02 pm

You're referring to the mainstream, though. When Pantera became popular, the mainstream might have turned their back on the 80s bands, but that music never went away. There were always bands out there still plugging away, playing 80s rock and metal. What I'm saying is that these bands sort of lost touch with their own music. It's almost like they had to see it in a mirror in order to recognize it.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Eyesore wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
It's funny that this topic comes up cuz the other day I was driving to work and listening to Ratt's Invasion of Your Privacy and was struck by the fact the fact that almost every song starts with a guitar riff. Peace.
Haha. I was listening to Out Of The Cellar last night for the first time in ages and when "Round And Round" came on, something just changed. It was uplifting, you know? I'm like, "Why the hell do I feel like I'm in a better mood now?" The answer: Badass riffage! Haha.

I'm not a doctor (I just tell girls I meet in bars that I am) but I think Badass riffage raises the Seratonin level in the brain. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 12:41 am

I love the intro riff to Lay it Down by Ratt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rqA55ynPoU&feature=related
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 12:54 am

I undestand your pint of view EYESORE, and I think the same. The music from modern metal bands are very simplistic and borring or there is to much melodies added to the music where the good heavy riffs are forgotten. I don't like modern power metal for that reason.

There is a band that is overated by the modern metalheads out there, they evey say that this band is better than Metallica and Slayer. Wacawacawaca Smile
Whell I just listened to that band right now, and It confirmed just what EYESORE said. No good 80's riffs, only crapy melodies allover

Triivium - dying in yout arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siJm12edz_s
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 12:58 am

the sentinel wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
It's funny that this topic comes up cuz the other day I was driving to work and listening to Ratt's Invasion of Your Privacy and was struck by the fact the fact that almost every song starts with a guitar riff. Peace.
Haha. I was listening to Out Of The Cellar last night for the first time in ages and when "Round And Round" came on, something just changed. It was uplifting, you know? I'm like, "Why the hell do I feel like I'm in a better mood now?" The answer: Badass riffage! Haha.

I'm not a doctor (I just tell girls I meet in bars that I am) but I think Badass riffage raises the Seratonin level in the brain. 🤘

scratch MMM,In High School I used to get better grades when i listened heavy metal before study. lol! It gave me mental powers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 1:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_xUDFMv94s

That video feature Mrs. Saxon and Auntie Saxon, I believe. I love that riff!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 am

Gus G. of Firewind now is one of the few modern day guitarists who still plays those classic riffs, he has made so many between all the bands he was in. Listen to the riffs in the Dream Evil songs Children of the Night, Tired, No Way, all these remind me of those great classic riffs

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 11:58 am

Eyesore wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_xUDFMv94s

That video feature Mrs. Saxon and Auntie Saxon, I believe. I love that riff!

The bass line in Back For More was pretty awesome as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I think there are plenty of good riffs out there, however, they are harder to find due to it's lack of popularity on tv & radio. Sure, the members of this board are gonna dig deeper to find than most people would, but because mainstream radio ain't playing "riff-oriented rock" and it's not pounded into your head, it seems as if it's not there anymore. Nostalgia does play a part in it to some extent. If the mainstream media picked up on stuff like Backyard Babies or some of the other newer bands mentioned and played it over an over and over to the point of overexposure, you'd get that same reaction that you get from hearing the opening riffs of Shake Me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Listen to the newest Winger for some throwback riffage. It's more subdued then they used to play but it's there. The new Airbourne has riffs aplenty.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 8:02 pm

I love "The Riff"

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 10:59 am

The Showdown have some good 80s style riffs in a few songs on their last album (specifically Six Feet Under).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 2:56 pm

I love The Showdown i heard a few clips from there upcoming cd and it sounds like Pantera meets COC
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2