Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's Happened To The 80s Riff?

Go down 
+9
Troublezone
Stender
MetalRob331
the sentinel
kmorg
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
James B.
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Empty
PostSubject: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 1:55 am

You know what I'm talking about here—"Rock You Like A Hurricane," "Balls To The Walls," "Round And Round," "Youth Gone Wild," "Somebody Save Me," and so on. These simple yet catchy-as-all-hell riffs were a huge part of what made 80s rock and metal so badass. But today, they're pretty much gone.

Even great bands like Dirty Penny, Miss Crazy, and Trixie who're doing some excellent rock music these days, they don't quite get there when it comes to those classic riffs. You know what happens when you hear that opening riff to "Balls To The Walls." That song demands to be cranked, and it's always got your full attention! It's timeless! Where are those riffs today? Have bands overcomplicated things?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 6:39 am

the riffs back in the 60's and 70's were great as well, but I do know what you mean though.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:05 am

Yep! That's why I've been digging my "new" vinyl. It's all Dio, Maiden, Twisted Sister, early Savatage, Quiet Riot and Fastway. AWESOME simple riffage and I've thought that myself, Eyesore.

In fact, listening to those early 80's Metal albums is part of the reason I get annoyed with much of the NWOBHM. In my opinion, some of that - especially toward that late 80's - was impotent and it's like they forgot about the monster riff. Since the bands from the 60's, 70's (Zep, BOC, Sabbath, etc...) and early 80's already showed how to write heavy songs with monster riffs I get annoyed with some of the bands coming later who do not.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:12 am

I think those riffs have moved to Scandanavia. Bands like Hardcore Superstar, Backyard Babies, Wig Wam, Babylon Bombs, Bombshell Rocks, Gemini Five, etc. etc.

And lately, that style has become my favorite.

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:59 am

Gosh, how I so agree! This is exactly why I cant help being slightly nostalgic about music no matter how much I enjoy some latter day and current bands, they just cant seem to write as catchy stuff anymore. Ive noticed most so called traditional Metal bands of today uses more "staccatto" type riffing ala Metallica/Pantera nowadays. Either that, or if theres a more Hard Rock based band, more straight "wall of sound" block type riffing. The sing along Anthem choruses arent there anymore either. I really dont know if this is something delibarate of todays bands, or if bands simply cant do it anymore. Either way its sad, and I miss the catchiness. No wonder current music dont grab ones attention span as easily.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:02 am

All the good riffs have been used up.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:13 am

I also agree. We need more melodic riff metal!

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:03 am

St Patrik wrote:
Gosh, how I so agree! This is exactly why I cant help being slightly nostalgic about music no matter how much I enjoy some latter day and current bands, they just cant seem to write as catchy stuff anymore. Ive noticed most so called traditional Metal bands of today uses more "staccatto" type riffing ala Metallica/Pantera nowadays. Either that, or if theres a more Hard Rock based band, more straight "wall of sound" block type riffing. The sing along Anthem choruses arent there anymore either. I really dont know if this is something delibarate of todays bands, or if bands simply cant do it anymore. Either way its sad, and I miss the catchiness. No wonder current music dont grab ones attention span as easily.

Very well stated, St Patrik. I would have to vote on the side of deliberate since I would have to surmise that anyone talented enough could write a riff (how good/great it is is certainly open for debate). Eyesore, is absolutely right, there is a definate lack of great riffs these days. It's funny that this topic comes up cuz the other day I was driving to work and listening to Ratt's Invasion of Your Privacy and was struck by the fact the fact that almost every song starts with a guitar riff. Peace.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:37 am

i think today's music is more about the look and hook more then the Riff. Ill tell you what though when i hear those classic riffs i cant help but turn it up.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 1:15 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
i think today's music is more about the look and hook more then the Riff. Ill tell you what though when i hear those classic riffs i cant help but turn it up.

🤘
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 1:26 pm

Very good question.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
"Balls To The Walls"

Does that song sound anything like "Balls To The Wall"? What's Happened To The 80s Riff? 927150
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Well i guess he has some "Flaws with his Paws"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 3:05 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I think those riffs have moved to Scandanavia. Bands like Hardcore Superstar, Backyard Babies, Wig Wam, Babylon Bombs, Bombshell Rocks, Gemini Five, etc. etc.

And lately, that style has become my favorite.
See, I love those bands, but they just aren't up there with the greats. They write some excellent tunes. But where are the classic riffs? There are none. They have good riffs. Though I really like those bands, I don't hear anything that gets my blood going like the beginning of "Rock Your Like A Hurricane," for instance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 3:08 pm

the sentinel wrote:
It's funny that this topic comes up cuz the other day I was driving to work and listening to Ratt's Invasion of Your Privacy and was struck by the fact the fact that almost every song starts with a guitar riff. Peace.
Haha. I was listening to Out Of The Cellar last night for the first time in ages and when "Round And Round" came on, something just changed. It was uplifting, you know? I'm like, "Why the hell do I feel like I'm in a better mood now?" The answer: Badass riffage! Haha.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 3:46 pm

Fool Fool from Axel Rudi Pell is one of those riffs for me. I hear that riff and then Jeff Scott Soto's pipes and im like wow!!

Last edited by MetalRob331 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Fool Fool is great!!

Some folks still got it today, it's just not as emphasized, I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 6:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
All the good riffs have been used up.

Blame Sabbath. don\'t know
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 6:36 pm

Well at least we have those albums from the 80's to enjoy even if noone can rehash that sound (riffage).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 7:55 pm

That's what I mean! Man, I frickin' love that riff!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:00 pm

I guess I don't know what you guys are talking about because I still get killer riffs stuck in my head from new stuff all the time. I had the chorus to "We Don't Celebrate Sundays" by Hardcore Superstar stuck in my head for days.

And the Airbourne album is filled with guitar riffs IMO.

Are you sure you're not viewing this subject through the prism of nostalgia?

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:00 pm

Oh, and if you want anthemic, shout out loud choruses, try Lordi.

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:

That's what I mean! Man, I frickin' love that riff!

Quote :

Bands like Pantera killed the 80's riff. Ironic, eh?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:07 pm

Toho - True about Lordi! They write some monster riffs (no pun intended) and have great choruses. I'd love to see them someday!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:33 pm

kmorg wrote:
I also agree. We need more melodic riff metal!

I'll drink to that!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's Happened To The 80s Riff?   What's Happened To The 80s Riff? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next