Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gawd, I love Doom Metal...

Go down 
+53
80s Metal Lady
Dr8breed74
oldschooldoom
powermacho
metalhead777
breathingliquid
Crazy Hippie
deathisgain
assault_attack
chewie
candlemass
Singwhatyoucan'tsay
Thelemech
Chrome Locust
bgsully
corplhicks
choosemetal
Boris2008
ultmetal
SpectreFate
AchrisK
metalken
Wurthless
Jesusandmetal23
Hamer12
Grimmo
Gilbert
brokentulsa
thejokeriv
nevermore
Eyesore
Shawn Of Fire
Mordor
Dave the Boss
TheGooch
Orion Crystal Ice
metalmaniac122
Troublezone
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
GrandNational
White_Mage
Selvmord
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
ThrashedOutCobra33
Lurideath
Wargod
SAHB Healer
TrogDawn
mc666
Temple of Blood
57 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 2:46 am

Some new doomy stuff (of varying styles) I've been diggin' lately:

headbanger

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Not doom, but I thought some of you might be interested in this. I was flipping through the YOB section and came across a solo album from the singer, Mike Scheidt. Looked folky, and it is. Sounds good, though.

Did not expect those kind of vocals, falsetto or whatever. Unexpected.

Tad Doyle produced it, too, which is also unexpected.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for sharing that Ken, will definitely be checking it out.

His other band "Middian" was cool too.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
Thanks for sharing that Ken, will definitely be checking it out.

His other band "Middian" was cool too.
Yeah, I love Middian. Never quite understood the change, though, since musically it was very similar to YOB.

Anyway, that video above is a bit more straight forward than some of the other tracks I listened to. Those were more atmospheric, you know, Anathema-ish, though largely acoustical. I think I'll be enjoying this one quite a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Yeah, I love Middian. Never quite understood the change, though, since musically it was very similar to YOB.

YOB disbanded in 2005, Middian was launched as Scheidt's new group. Then in late 2008 YOB reformed and started working on The Great Cessation.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Right. What I meant was that he started YOB; it was, for all intents and purposes, his band, so starting a new band that was pretty much the same and calling it something else just seemed odd to me.

It's like Zero Hour starting Cynthesis, which sounds just like Zero Hour.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Right. What I meant was that he started YOB; it was, for all intents and purposes, his band, so starting a new band that was pretty much the same and calling it something else just seemed odd to me.

It's like Zero Hour starting Cynthesis, which sounds just like Zero Hour.

If I'm not mistaken the other guys from YOB left and Mike thought he should change the name. So that's why he went with Middian but there was another band with that name. Legal issues came up over the name. So Mike just reformed YOB.

The Castle video was pretty cool. I have the cd In Witch Order by them but haven't picked up Blacklands yet.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:10 am

Can anyone recommend me something akin to Sleep's "Dopesmoker"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:19 am

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:

Well, first I would recommend Sleep's previous album "Holy Mountain" because it's a better album than Dopesmoker.

High On Fire's "The Art of Self Defense" is brilliant (Matt Pike was the guitarist for Sleep).

Goatsnake's "Flower Of Disease" is another gem.

Those albums aren't as "drone" as Dopesmoker, but they are excellent HEAVY records.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:38 am

S.D. wrote:
Jesusandmetal23 wrote:

Well, first I would recommend Sleep's previous album "Holy Mountain" because it's a better album than Dopesmoker.

High On Fire's "The Art of Self Defense" is brilliant (Matt Pike was the guitarist for Sleep).

Those albums aren't as "drone" as Dopesmoker, but they are excellent HEAVY records.

If you dig that, you might also like Electric Wizard's album Dopethrone.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 3:01 am

S.D. wrote:
Jesusandmetal23 wrote:

Way to not answer his question. lol!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm

If you're into the funeral doom type stuff the new Ahab is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Cyclopean Records has some pretty awesome doom/stoner bands on the label. But they are a vinyl only label. Really like Candle Black, Altar Of Oblivion, and Green & Wood.

http://www.cyclopeanrecords.com/index.php?/links/listen/
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 9:40 pm

nevermore wrote:

Ever listened to this band while your head is down on a pillow and you're just relaxing and chilling? You end up going in and out of sleep and the music gets all trippy inside your head in between the sleep and wake episodes. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 12:18 am

Warning - Watching From a Distance is one of the few doom albums that I have fallen in love with in the past couple of years. I suppose the vocals take some getting used to but it really didn't take me long. Their first album, The Strength to Dream, just didn't take hold of me like Watching From a Distance.

A friend introduced me to My Dying Bride. Over the years I had never really listened to them. I think it was The Dreadful Hours that got me hooked. Great songwriters.

I recently picked up Dopesmoker by Sleep, and I can't say I really like it so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 am

Holy Mountain is the classic Sleep album, FAR superior to Dopesmoker in every way.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:14 am

S.D. wrote:
Holy Mountain is the classic Sleep album, FAR superior to Dopesmoker in every way.
yeah, but Dopesmoker is still a decent album.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:51 am

Picked up EP album for $5 the other day.

Funeral doom. Some of the guys from Ice Dragon formed this band. Great stuff.

What I really dig about this is the packaging. It's done up like an old cassette demo. A black CD in a black sleeve, with that video image glued to the front along with these little corner pieces to make it look a bit artsy, I guess. The booklet is a photocopied thing, scrapbook style, with lyrics and drawings and stuff, stapled in the middle.

Now, some of the younger people out there might not be into that, you know, but I love it. To me, it tells me that these guys care a bit a more. I remember when I was a teen spending countless hours putting together demo tapes like this. With the whole CDR thing, bands got lazy, I think, and just did the bare minimum, no care for the product.

Anyway, I really love this sort of thing. Ice Dragon has two cassette demos done up like this. It takes me back, yo!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 10:28 am

GrandNational wrote:
nevermore wrote:

Ever listened to this band while your head is down on a pillow and you're just relaxing and chilling? You end up going in and out of sleep and the music gets all trippy inside your head in between the sleep and wake episodes. Good stuff.

Can't say I've tried that.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 pm

mc666 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

The recently remastered one has been getting a lot of spins lately:

Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 11:19 pm

GrandNational wrote:
mc666 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

The recently remastered one has been getting a lot of spins lately:

Great album. I love the new cover art.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 11:23 pm

The same engineer just remastered the debut High On Fire album "The Art Of Self Defense" as well, I'm interested in hearing both.

Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 11:55 am

A few doom artists amongst the stoner stuff on here. A few other free download comps are also found on this blog's bandcamp :
http://thesodashop.bandcamp.com/album/the-soda-shop-comp-volume-1

Worth the time to search out.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Facebook ads work! Saw their ad a little bit ago, clicked on it, watched this (NSFW-unless-you-love-boobies) video...

...and immediately preordered their album. Excellent stuff!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 12:48 am

Looks like the limited US run of Bloody Hammers vinyl and CDs are all but sold out. A few CD copies remain available.

http://bloodyhammers.bandcamp.com

Grab a copy now. This thing is excellent!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gawd, I love Doom Metal...
Page 9 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next