Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gawd, I love Doom Metal...

Go down 
+53
80s Metal Lady
Dr8breed74
oldschooldoom
powermacho
metalhead777
breathingliquid
Crazy Hippie
deathisgain
assault_attack
chewie
candlemass
Singwhatyoucan'tsay
Thelemech
Chrome Locust
bgsully
corplhicks
choosemetal
Boris2008
ultmetal
SpectreFate
AchrisK
metalken
Wurthless
Jesusandmetal23
Hamer12
Grimmo
Gilbert
brokentulsa
thejokeriv
nevermore
Eyesore
Shawn Of Fire
Mordor
Dave the Boss
TheGooch
Orion Crystal Ice
metalmaniac122
Troublezone
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
GrandNational
White_Mage
Selvmord
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
ThrashedOutCobra33
Lurideath
Wargod
SAHB Healer
TrogDawn
mc666
Temple of Blood
57 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage

Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 2:01 am

The Demon Lung leans more toward the "metal" side of doom while Witch Mountain is more aligned with the early 70s Sabbath style. I prefer the older style so South of Salem is more aligned with my tastes. I'm enjoying the Ann Wilson-esque vocals as well.

I believe the drummer (Nathan Carson) is the brother of Earth guitarist Dylan Carson. He has done some work with Sunn 0))) in the past.

Looking forward to their new album "Cauldron Of The Wild" which comes out on June 12th.

Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 61SA0FYjhaL._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:46 am

Scored used last night at FYE, for $7.99 each:

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (2 CD remaster)
Candlemass - Nightfall (2 CD remaster)
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 10:09 pm

New band I discovered recently: Pilgrim.

Been seeing their album in stores for a bit now, but finally remembered to jump online and check them out. Really dug what I heard. They're on Metal Blade. I picked up their full-length debut, Misery Wizard, earlier today, and it's fantastic! It'll be on heavy rotation for a while, I'm sure.

This was my first taste of them:

http://hailthepilgrim.bandcamp.com/album/forsaken-man-demo

That's a free download. Snag it. Otherwise, check this:

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Here's another recent discovery. Came across these guys because of Pilgrim. They did a split together. I guess both of these bands are from around my area.

Anyway, this is Ice Dragon:

Bad-ass stuff!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 12:28 am

Good stuff Ken!
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 5:08 am

Been spinning tons of Blood Farmers lately. Permanent Brain Damage is a must!

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 6:31 pm

I posted this in the female-fronted thread a while back, but I just got the EP today, so I figured it was appropriate to repost here:

That is one of two original tracks on the EP; the other for are covers of tracks by Pentagram, Coven, Abscess, and The Coffinshakers. Great little EP. Wonder if they'll ever release anything else?

Anyway, also today I finally got a copy of Sun Faced Apostles, by Wall Of Sleep. Such a great band. The old singer (first video) has a rather unique voice, which could be a turn-off for some people, but they have a new singer (second video) now and he's much more traditional-sounding. Great band, though.

headbanger
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 9:01 pm

To me some of the music by DOWN sounds like there is some doom influence going on. What does everyone else think?
This is a genere I am kinda new to..except sabbath of course. Is Type O Negative considered doom?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 9:50 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
To me some of the music by DOWN sounds like there is some doom influence going on. What does everyone else think?

This is a genere I am kinda new to..except sabbath of course. Is Type O Negative considered doom?
Neither are true doom, of course, but they do have certain elements of it in the music.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 1:36 am

I can't seem to get into doom, although i own the entire candlemass catalogue Shocked
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 am

all female US doom/death band Derkéta will finally put out their full length In Death We Meet. anyone into Mythic will love this...

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:24 am

mc666 wrote:
all female US doom/death band Derkéta will finally put out their full length In Death We Meet. anyone into Mythic will love this...

I can dig on that. I wouldn't rush out to get it, but I'll gladly add it to my collection.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:27 am

Damn. Their first demo came out in 1989? Didn't expect that.

EDIT: And they played their first show in 2011! WTF? Haha.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:45 am

Eyesore wrote:
Damn. Their first demo came out in 1989? Didn't expect that.

EDIT: And they played their first show in 2011! WTF? Haha.
yeah, it's been a long hard road for them for sure... still most of the original members too.

i have that first demo, & the first EP (90).

Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 3:33 am

I enjoy Veni Domine's first 2 albums.

But I probably hearken more to doom with elements of death metal - such as Paramaecium, early Paradise Lost, early My Dying Bride, early Anathema and some Autopsy. Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 604261
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 6:13 pm

Caught Witch Mountain live last night. They played a pretty good but short set. Picked up their new cd Cauldron Of The Wild.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 7:57 pm

Any opinions on Yob? I enjoy doom and drone that goes on forever and into outer space, which is what they seem to do, but I didn't enjoy the song I heard, 'Ball of Molten Lead', but then I've seen tons of praise for the record that's on, so...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Any opinions on Yob? I enjoy doom and drone that goes on forever and into outer space, which is what they seem to do, but I didn't enjoy the song I heard, 'Ball of Molten Lead', but then I've seen tons of praise for the record that's on, so...

They are definitely one of my favorites, but I can completely understand why they would drive many people nuts.

The most accessible album is "The Unreal Never Lived" (and it's still pretty far out).

One of my favorite tracks from that album is Quantum Mystic, it kicks in around the 2:00 mark on this video:

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Even though they're more on the stoner side of things... I'd like to see Goatsnake make another album.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 pm

now that one I liked. It wasn't the far-out ness that was negative about the other song, since I regularly destroy my brain via Boris - Cloud Chamber, Amplifier Worship, Earth - Earth 2, and etc...the 'Ball of Lead' song just wasn't... memorable isn't necessarily the word, but anyway, this one seems to succeed where that one didn't. Might get that album if the whole thing is like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
now that one I liked. It wasn't the far-out ness that was negative about the other song, since I regularly destroy my brain via Boris - Cloud Chamber, Amplifier Worship, Earth - Earth 2, and etc...the 'Ball of Lead' song just wasn't... memorable isn't necessarily the word, but anyway, this one seems to succeed where that one didn't. Might get that album if the whole thing is like that.

I don't like Ball of Molten Lead either, The Illusion Of Motion is their weakest album overall.

Their two most recent albums "The Great Cessation" and "Atma" are both excellent and are worth investigating. They had disbanded for awhile before recording The Great Cessation, that album ended up not only being a triumphant return, but it surpassed most of their previous albums.

While Yob was on hiatus, the guitarist/vocalist recorded an album under the name "Middian" which is also worth checking out.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Even though they're more on the stoner side of things... I'd like to see Goatsnake make another album.

Goatsnake were an amazing band, they did a short reunion tour a couple years ago but I've heard no plans for them recording again.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:16 pm

doomy death similar to the first Paradise Lost record. They too later go on to put out some amazing melodic gothic metal.

bbbbbbbbBBBBBBBRBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRVVVVVVVVVVVdddduhhhduhhhduhhh DUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Love YOB. Picked up Catharsis & Illusion recently, have almost worn out Catharsis already!!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 11:34 pm

One of my favorite doomy bands is Eyes Of Fire.

Sadly, they got very little recognition. After two great albums and one EP, they broke up. =(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gawd, I love Doom Metal...   Gawd, I love Doom Metal... - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gawd, I love Doom Metal...
Page 8 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 26  Next