Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Livin' in a parallel universe......

Go down 
+7
jstate
EvyMetal
Mglaffas81
tohostudios
Shiney
scottmitchell74
rattpoison
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Livin' in a parallel universe...... Empty
PostSubject: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 9:59 am

So heres what happens, you like an album/band and you wan't something similar. Lay down the album/band and someone suggests an alternate album/band that is similar they should check out. This ain't a game but a way of causing more stress on your hip pocket!

So example is:

Jill likes the Black Crowes - Shake Your Moneymaker (1990) album.

Jack being the hip cat he is suggests Jill try on London Quireboys - A Bit Of What You Fancy (1990) for size. Jack's rational is both records embody a great retro Faces baroom rock n' roll spirit/sound.

So theres one example one person who likes that album should not be without or at least check out the other album.

Anyway throw out a fav music record can be metal or jazz or whatever and let the hip cats here suggest an alternative.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 10:11 am

Tyketto - Don't Come Easy (I'm in love with this but can't find anything else touching it)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 10:48 am

Quote :
Tyketto - Don't Come Easy
Danger Danger: Return of the Great Gildersleeves - or - Four the Hard Way

ZODIAC MINDWARP & THE LOVE REACTION - TATTOOED BEAT MESSIAH (Aleays been one of my fav albums and I have heard nothing that compares. Not even the rest of the ZM catalog!!)
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 12:35 pm

While I love the disc Saxon threw down as his gauntlet...I will concur that I have heard nothing even close to that style of biker sleaze....maybe a smidge of early PU$$ycat here and there...laced with a bit of the ol' IGGY POP vibe...

So I recommend another cd from an (IMO) excellent and little heard of biker sleaze band called IRONBOSS....they be from Maryland and they be down and dirty and sleazy and grimy and down and dirty!!!! The cd is "IRONBOSS RIDES AGAIN"....

my offering:

SEDUCE- "Too Much Ain't Enough"...one of my fave metal albums ever!!!!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 12:39 pm

That Ironboss sounds interesting. Looks like the have a Best Of on Amazon. Can't find any samples though.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Found some Ironboss at their MySpace. Don't care for the vox.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Eyesore loves - Def leppard

Suggestion - Tina Turner
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Hahaha, ok.

I like Dropkick Murpheys/Blackout

any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 3:36 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Hahaha, ok.

any suggestions?

Definitely! Real McKenzies!

http://www.myspace.com/therealmckenziess

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 3:57 pm

And here's one for free:

AC/DC (Bon Scott era) = Rhino Bucket

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 7:11 pm

For Dropkick Murphys - I'd go with any Bouncing Souls, Black 47, or The Pogues (with Shane MacGowan).

I actually discovered the London Quireboys via an interview with one the Robinson brothers. I loved that Crowes album and they talked about how everyone should go out and get A Bit Of What You Fancy. Which they admitted was direct competition. I always thought for a new band just coming out that was pretty cool of them.

The band I'll throw out there for suggestions is Enuff Z' Nuff
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 7:17 pm

jstate wrote:
For Dropkick Murphys - I'd go with any Bouncing Souls, Black 47, or The Pogues (with Shane MacGowan).

I actually discovered the London Quireboys via an interview with one the Robinson brothers. I loved that Crowes album and they talked about how everyone should go out and get A Bit Of What You Fancy. Which they admitted was direct competition. I always thought for a new band just coming out that was pretty cool of them.

The band I'll throw out there for suggestions is Enuff Z' Nuff

I'm OK with Black 47 and The Pogues but Bouncing Souls? I don't hear any Celtic inclinations in the albums I have by them.

And A Bit Of What You Fancy blows away Shake Your Moneymaker IMO.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 8:26 pm

Saxon nothing compares to Z, nothing.

But if you twist my arm maybe the Cult's Electric is comparable or even Circus Of Power's S/T. If i'm being lazy with references.

But if were talkin' Danceable Post-Goth Cosmic Snakeoil Supercharmin' Grebo Biker Sleaze maybe fellow UK Grebo sleaze merchants Crazyhead, Batfish Boys, Gaye Bykers On Acid or maybe The Bomb Party. All dirty and equally as eccentric and entertaining. Their was a whole scene in the UK that centered around Z in the late 80's.

Okay so the best alternative to Tattooed Beat Messiah is probably Gaye Biker's On Acid - Drill Your Own Hole (1987) or Stewed To The Gills (1989).

All are Druggy Discobilly fueled by the heavy metal exhaust that only emanates from a Harley Davidson.

Gaye Byker's On Acid - Hottest Thing Promo <= Best Bet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFuWJtzRsXE&feature=related

The Bomb Party - Make Way For My Motorbike Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJhsqRZ-Jtw&feature=related

Crazyhead - Have Love Will Travel Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3CQRaQaPkc

Last edited by rattpoison on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:21 pm; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 8:38 pm

kewl topic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 9:24 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Suggestion - Tina Turner
This is why your comedy career failed.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 2:09 am

Eyesore wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Suggestion - Tina Turner
This is why your comedy career failed.

Very funny - And no, it did not fail - I just quit and started college.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 4:08 am

EvyMetal wrote:
Hahaha, ok.

any suggestions?
Forget the other suggestions*, check out Flogging Molly; http://www.myspace.com/floggingmolly

*don't actually forget the other suggestions, as most were good ;P

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 4:08 am

Thanks for the recommendations! I really dig The Pogues, and the Real McKenzies comes up at a close second. Havent listened to Black 47 yet..
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 4:09 am

I actually have heard of Flogging Molly, really big locally. There stuff's pretty good too.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 4:21 am

How about any band that sounds like 70's Rush?
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 5:26 am

stepcousin wrote:

Max Webster is probably your best bet with 70's Rush.

As for Enuff Z'Nuff Jstate, try Redd Kross - Third Eye (1990), bright flashy power pop with a metallic after taste much like ENZ.

It's pretty expensive cause its hopelessly out of print, you can download it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/38996918/Redd_Kross_Third_Eye.rar
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 6:31 am

rattpoison wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

Max Webster is probably your best bet with 70's Rush.

thanks, I'll hafta check them out. Kim Mitchell was the vocalist for that band, didnt he have a couple hits in the 80's? I remember "Go For A Soda" from eons ago.....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 5:02 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
I actually have heard of Flogging Molly, really big locally. There stuff's pretty good too.

I picked up the new Flogging Molly "Float" on Friday. Just started listening to it today. Good stuff. A little more acoustic than Dropkick Murphys or Real McKenzies but still punky.

Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 9:30 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations! I really dig The Pogues, and the Real McKenzies comes up at a close second. Havent listened to Black 47 yet..

I remember the Real McKenzies played in my town not to long ago the posters are still up (oh I didn't get to go to the show btw)

anyway I've been looking for a band sounds like Tygers of Pan Tang
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Throwing out some freebies

Dogs D'Amour - In The Dynamite Jet Saloon (1988) = Bounty Hunters - Threads: A Tear Stained Scar (1990)

Hanoi Rocks - Bangkok Shocks, Saigon Shakes, Hanoi Rocks (1981) = The Wanderers - Only Lover's Left Alive (1981)

Sea Hags - Sea Hags (1989) = The Hangmen - The Hangmen (1989)

New York Dolls - New York Dolls (1973) = Hollywood Brats - Hollywood Brats (1973)

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (1971) = Flamin' Groovies - Teenage Head (1971)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Livin' in a parallel universe......   Livin' in a parallel universe...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Livin' in a parallel universe......
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next