Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November

Go down 
+7
mikeinfla
Red Kitty
the sentinel
chewie
thejokeriv
80s Metal Lady
James B.
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Empty
PostSubject: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Following quickly behind the news that Lynne had signed with Columbia Records it appears the album is already finished and will be coming out on November 13th.

Album cover:

Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November D0058360

First single:

Really looking forward to this album. Jeff's voice at age 68 sounds basically the same as it did when he was 25.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 11:03 pm

As opposed to John Doe's E.L.O

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 12:01 am

I really like that song. Not a huge ELO fan, but I like some of their stuff, especially their Discovery album. I'll be checking this album out.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 9:34 am

Sounds like ELO to me
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 11:30 am

James B. wrote:

Well, I guess Roy Wood could use that name if he really wanted to?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 12:17 pm

chewie wrote:
James B. wrote:

No.  He couldn't.  Jeff Lynne owns full rights to the name, logos and trademarks.  Wood gave up any rights in 1971 when he left.  Jeff bought out Bev Bevan's stake in the band years ago and then allowed Bev to tour as "ELO2" as part of the agreement.  

The reasons for this album being billed as "Jeff Lynne's ELO" are numerous.

1. The album was completely written, arranged, performed, recorded and mixed by Jeff Lynne. He plays all the instruments and sings all the lead and backing vocals on the album.  It was recorded at his home studio over a course of 15 months.  

2.  It avoids any confusion with spin-off bands like ELO2 and points out the original songwriter and mastermind behind all the classic ELO albums is the only creative force at work on this release.

3.  E.L.O. was always kind of a faceless radio band in the US, the individual band members had no recognition with the general public.  Since E.L.O. was always essentially "Jeff Lynne and his backing musicians" I personally think the new album just plainly states what was always really the truth.  There are probably some people that only think of Lynne as the producer of Tom Petty and The Traveling Wilburys.  Jeff deserves some name recognition for his 40+ years in the business, I'm happy that he's decided to put his name right there on the front cover.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 9:40 pm

This is cool news. The man is "brilliant" and has had a stellar career in music. Thanks for the info, S.D.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 11:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
chewie wrote:
James B. wrote:

No.  He couldn't.  Jeff Lynne owns full rights to the name, logos and trademarks.  Wood gave up any rights in 1971 when he left.  Jeff bought out Bev Bevan's stake in the band years ago and then allowed Bev to tour as "ELO2" as part of the agreement.  

1. The album was completely written, arranged, performed, recorded and mixed by Jeff Lynne. He plays all the instruments and sings all the lead and backing vocals on the album.  It was recorded at his home studio over a course of 15 months.  

2.  It avoids any confusion with spin-off bands like ELO2 and points out the original songwriter and mastermind behind all the classic ELO albums is the only creative force at work on this release.

3.  E.L.O. was always kind of a faceless radio band in the US, the individual band members had no recognition with the general public.  Since E.L.O. was always essentially "Jeff Lynne and his backing musicians" I personally think the new album just plainly states what was always really the truth.  There are probably some people that only think of Lynne as the producer of Tom Petty and The Traveling Wilburys.  Jeff deserves some name recognition for his 40+ years in the business, I'm happy that he's decided to put his name right there on the front cover.

Good to know. I didn't know Bev was bought out............
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 10:36 pm

Great song...definitely getting this. Thought I read somewhere that ELO are touring too....
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 7:38 am

Good song, I was surprised. Has a Beatles feel to it. Would like to hear some more tracks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 10:46 am

The full album is streaming on NPR's First Listen right now:

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/04/454307946/first-listen-jeff-lynnes-elo-alone-in-the-universe

I'm enjoying most of the album, there are a couple tracks I'm not crazy about but overall it's good and in parts excellent. You can hear nods to different eras of ELO plus Lynne's own recordings of the past 25 years. If you're expecting the lush orchestration of Out Of The Blue you're going to be disappointed by this very stripped down affair, but the essence of the sound is still intact. This brings Lynne, his guitar, his voice and his songs into the spotlight.

The version of the album on NPR is the 10 song base version and it only clocks in at 32 minutes. I checked Amazon and they are carrying an exclusive edition with 2 bonus tracks, so I'd like to hear those before I make my final decision on the album. I'm guessing with a couple extra tracks it will probably hit 39 minutes or so. Sadly the LP version only features the 10 songs.

The highlights on my first listen: The Sun Will Shine On You, Love And Rain, When The Night Comes and the title track.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 3:15 pm

S.D. wrote:
chewie wrote:
James B. wrote:

Wikipedia says the concept of the band was Roy Wood's idea. So aside from the fact that Jeff Lynne ended up taking control after the first album, the band wouldn't exist without Wood's original vision.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 4:33 pm

To me, ELO sound like "orchestrated sci-fi disco". Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Wikipedia says the concept of the band was Roy Wood's idea. So aside from the fact that Jeff Lynne ended up taking control after the first album, the band wouldn't exist without Wood's original vision.

Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne formed the band TOGETHER, it was their vision.  Lynne and Wood were both in The Move together and they left and did the first ELO album.  After the album was completed Wood decided he wanted to do something else and turned everything over to Lynne.

And since none of Roy's songs on the debut album sound like what ELO would evolve into it really wasn't his "vision" after the debut.

P.S. - The only hit single on the first ELO record was 10538 Overture, one of the Jeff Lynne compositions from the album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Just going on what wikipedia says...
It said Wood had the idea of fusing the orchestral string instruments with beatle-esque music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Troublezone wrote:
It said Wood had the idea of fusing the orchestral string instruments with beatle-esque music.

Well, the whole thing came about because Roy said he wanted to "pick up where I Am The Walrus left off". Jeff was also a huge Beatles freak so they made a perfect team to bring that to fruition.

The budget was so low on the debut album Roy Wood had to play all the string parts on a single cello by overdubbing it.

Wood has a history of starting projects and then not following through, he's had a ton of bands he's put together, worked on a single album and then vanished.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2015 8:56 pm

The newest issue of Classic Rock magazine had a great story on the early days of ELO, but talked nothing of the new album.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2015 9:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
The full album is streaming on NPR's First Listen right now:

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/04/454307946/first-listen-jeff-lynnes-elo-alone-in-the-universe

I'm enjoying most of the album, there are a couple tracks I'm not crazy about but overall it's good and in parts excellent. You can hear nods to different eras of ELO plus Lynne's own recordings of the past 25 years. If you're expecting the lush orchestration of Out Of The Blue you're going to be disappointed by this very stripped down affair, but the essence of the sound is still intact. This brings Lynne, his guitar, his voice and his songs into the spotlight.

The version of the album on NPR is the 10 song base version and it only clocks in at 32 minutes. I checked Amazon and they are carrying an exclusive edition with 2 bonus tracks, so I'd like to hear those before I make my final decision on the album. I'm guessing with a couple extra tracks it will probably hit 39 minutes or so. Sadly the LP version only features the 10 songs.

The highlights on my first listen: The Sun Will Shine On You, Love And Rain, When The Night Comes and the title track.

Took it for a second spin today and it's damn-near seared in my brain. Lynne pulled this one off nicely.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 6:57 am

Troublezone wrote:

Erm...I think that it was George Martin who had that idea!  lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 11:24 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Erm...I think that it was George Martin who had that idea!  lol!

The Moody Blues probably deserve some credit in that area as well, kind of a groundbreaking release they put out in 1967.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 5:27 pm

The UK theatre tour has kicked off and hopefully this means some US dates will follow later in 2016.

Original keyboardist Richard Tandy is part of the touring band despite not playing on the new album.

Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November 12115470_1208206325863691_2984414727067042367_n

Setlist:

All Over The World
Evil Woman
Showdown
Turn To Stone
When I Was A Boy
Livin' Thing
One Step
Strange Magic
Don't Bring Me Down
Steppin' Out
Sweet Talkin' Woman
Can't Get It Out Of My Head
When The Night Comes
Ain't It A Drag
Rock 'N' Roll Is King
Telephone Line
Mr. Blue Sky
Roll Over Beethoven

Lynne has said that more songs from Alone In The Universe will be added as the tour progresses.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 5:56 pm

The only ELO album I own is a greatest hits comp which I haven't listened to in decades.  Yet looking at that set list I can probably sing most of those songs which tells you two things: one, ELO got major radio play back in the day and two, there's some serious hooks to ELO's music.

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 6:07 pm

From 1972 to 1986, ELO accumulated 27 Top-40 hit singles in both the UK and the US, with 20 - Top 20 UK singles and 15 Top-20 US singles. The band also holds the record for having the most Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 hits, 20, of any group in United States chart history without ever having a number one single.

They have sold over 50 million albums worldwide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November   Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jeff Lynne's E.L.O. - Alone In The Universe coming in November
Page 1 of 1