Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?

Go down 
+12
tohostudios
kmorg
ultmetal
caniplaywithmadness?
nevermore
Smindas
Fat Freddy
Tall Tyrion
MetalGuy71
mc666
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal Misfit
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 9:35 am

ultmetal wrote:
Weiland is the reason I don't like Velvet Revolver. I like the music, just can't get past his vocals.
I dig his voice. I think he did a great job in STP using a variety of singing voices.

Smindas wrote:
I think a GN'R reunion with Seb Bach would be perfect, if a bit nonsensical. When I watched Axl and the Roses at Download '06, Seb outdid Rose completely on 'My Michelle'.

On that note, didn't Seb audition for VR? How could they turn him down for Weiland. Worst yet, they also turned down Rod Jackson from Slash's Snakepit. Bad moves.

Yep, Bas auditioned for 'em. I recently read in W.A.R.: The Unauthorized Biography of Axl Rose that they didn't pick him because Slash says they sounded like "Skid Roses". I think it would've been an awesome band, but I doubt they would've achieved the success they have with Weiland.

The idea of a GNR reunion without Axl can't even be talked about, he owns the name and it *wouldn't* be a real reunion without him anyway even if they could procure the name. IMO, a true GNR reunion needs Axl, Duff, and Slash at the core. The rest are kinda expendable, I think, though I'd love to see Izzy and Matt brought along.

caniplaywithmadness? wrote:

i reckon a newcomer could do just as well. or they could get in a 'veteran'

I don't see them getting a new singer. I see VR ending and Slash, Duff and Matt kinda fading away. Working guest spots on other artists' album. These guys are cursed, apparently.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 9:46 am

Slash is now doing some damage control, saying that this is NOT the last tour and they are working on a new album. Who knows anymore?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 9:49 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
The idea of a GNR reunion without Axl can't even be talked about, he owns the name and it *wouldn't* be a real reunion without him anyway even if they could procure the name. IMO, a true GNR reunion needs Axl, Duff, and Slash at the core. The rest are kinda expendable, I think, though I'd love to see Izzy and Matt brought along.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, you're totally correct. Axl is integral, even if he's no longer at his prime and a complete drama queen. It wouldn't be a reunion without him, it'd be a cover band - sort of like what Axl & The Roses is, really. I think it'd be interesting if they did do a reunion tour, but brought along a few extra people for fun, for instance Ron Thal / Bumblefoot - one of the current GN'R members. That man is one of the greatest guitarists in existence, and he does great justice to the GN'R catalogue. Of course, then it wouldn't be a proper reunion either, haha.[/quote]

Metal Misfit wrote:
caniplaywithmadness? wrote:

i reckon a newcomer could do just as well. or they could get in a 'veteran'

I don't see them getting a new singer. I see VR ending and Slash, Duff and Matt kinda fading away. Working guest spots on other artists' album. These guys are cursed, apparently.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. And that's sad, as the three are very talented individuals and work well together. I remember I was extremely excited with the release of Contraband, and it still remains a strong album, even if I'm not keen on the vocals. I'd love to see Snakepit revived, but with Duff and Matt joining in.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 9:55 am

Smindas wrote:
I'd love to see Snakepit revived, but with Duff and Matt joining in.

That's exactly what I would like to see happen as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 10:01 am

Cursed? They picked Weiland knowing what a hairbrain the guy is so what'd they expect? Plus, how many musicians wish they were as cursed as these guys, they are household names in the metal community.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 11:21 am

emptytomb1 wrote:
Cursed? They picked Weiland knowing what a hairbrain the guy is so what'd they expect? Plus, how many musicians wish they were as cursed as these guys, they are household names in the metal community.

Cursed as in having all the tools and success and then their singer ends up destroying it for them.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:37 pm

The new singer is going to be...

Tim "Ripper" Owens

APRIL FOOLS!!

Actually this part is true I guess...

VELVET REVOLVER founding members Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner announced today (Tuesday, April 1) that they are parting ways with singer Scott Weiland. "This band is all about its fans and its music and Scott Weiland isn't 100% committed to either," said Slash in a press release. "Among other things, his increasingly erratic onstage behavior and personal problems have forced us to move on."
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 6:57 pm

I'll will be interested in finding out who is the new singer will be - they may gain some new fans that don't like scott's vocals
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 10:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

VELVET REVOLVER founding members Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner announced today (Tuesday, April 1) that they are parting ways with singer Scott Weiland. "This band is all about its fans and its music and Scott Weiland isn't 100% committed to either," said Slash in a press release. "Among other things, his increasingly erratic onstage behavior and personal problems have forced us to move on."

April 1st, not buying it until they repeat that statement on April 2nd, but it doesn't sound unbelievable at all.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 2:08 am

I hope it's true. I will be pleased at the prospect of someone good taking the vocal helm.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 7:54 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

April 1st, not buying it until they repeat that statement on April 2nd, but it doesn't sound unbelievable at all.

I read this this morning (4/2) from another source, so I'd say it's legit.
http://www.comcast.net/music/articles/2008/03/05/ENTERTAINMENT-WEILAND-DC/
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 am

So if they continue on... Is it worth keeping the Velvet Revolver name or do you think they should start from scratch?

At least Slash has been gung-ho about getting back into the studio for the past few months and making a new album. I'm looking forward to his new solo album as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 9:04 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
So if they continue on... Is it worth keeping the Velvet Revolver name or do you think they should start from scratch?

At least Slash has been gung-ho about getting back into the studio for the past few months and making a new album. I'm looking forward to his new solo album as well.

Sure. I don't think that the Velvet Revolver legacy is going to be tainted one bit. They haven't been around long enough or had such untouchable hits to build up any sort of "lengendary status". As long as the other 4 members are involved, I think they can soldier on with another vocalist without raising too much of a stink.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 9:09 am

From the 'mouth (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=94064):

Quote :

Vocalist Scott Weiland has released a statement to MTV News regarding his dismissal from VELVET REVOLVER.

The founding members of VELVET REVOLVER — guitarists Slash and Dave Kushner, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum — announced their decision to fire Weiland in a press release issued at the conclusion of the band's final performance with Weiland in Amsterdam, Holland. Slash cited Weiland's "increasingly erratic onstage behavior and personal problems" as reasons for dismissing him.

In a statement released Wednesday morning, Weiland fired back at his erstwhile bandmates, stating, "After reading the comment by Duff, Matt, Dave and the illustrious 'Guitar Hero,' Saul Hudson, a.k.a. Slash, I find it humorous that the so-called four 'founding members' of VELVET REVOLVER, better known to themselves as 'the Project' before I officially named the band, would decide to move on without me after I had already claimed the group dead in the water on March 20 in Glasgow.

"In response to Slash's comment regarding my commitment [to the band], I have to say it is a blatant and tired excuse to cover up the truth. The truth of the matter is that the band had not gotten along on multiple levels for some time. On a musical level, there were moments of joy, inspiration, fun ... at times. But let's not forget the multiple trips to rehab every member of the band had taken (with the exception of one member — no need to mention his name).

"Personally speaking, I choose to look forward to the future and performing with a group of friends I have known my entire life, people who have always had my back," Weiland continued. "This also speaks to my commitment to my music and my fellow bandmates in [STONE TEMPLE PILOTS] and to the fans who I feel would much rather watch a group of musicians who enjoy being together as opposed to a handful of discontents who at one time used to call themselves a gang."

In conclusion, Weiland warned fans not to be "fooled by veiled trickery," and even wished VELVET REVOLVER his best. "Good hunting, lads — I think Sebastian Bach would be a fantastic choice."

Man, Weiland looks more and more like a whiny smurfette with each and every passing day. Didn't STP originally break up because they didn't get along? Laughing very hard Oh well, as fans of hair metal bands, KISS and Van Halen will note, nostalgia and money heals all wounds.

As for Bach, I wonder if he's saying that because Bach has the inside track on this job. They originally auditioned him but decided against it. I think it would make for an awesome band, but I doubt they'd get much radio play because people would just start calling them an "80s supergroup". Plus, Bach, much like Axl & Weiland has LSD.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 9:10 am

lol! @ the edit
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 9:12 am

I would be waaaaayyyy more interested in a Bach-fronted V.R. than I ever was with the Weiland fronted version.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 11:43 am

Ugh, Scott is such a bitchy man. I wish he would just grow up. Now let's hope for a far superior replacement for him.

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 5:51 pm

You know what, they should get Keith Caputo from Life Of Agony on vocals. First off, he's a great guy. Secondly, he's ten times the vocalist Weiland is, but at the same time he can sometimes find himself sounding a lot like Weiland.

http://www.myspace.com/keithcaputo

Check out the song "Troubles Down" from his newest solo album. That's actually a heavy song—relatively speaking—for his solo stuff, but that could be a Velvet Revolver song. He'd be a good fit for the band, but I don't know if he'd go for something like that.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 6:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I would be waaaaayyyy more interested in a Bach-fronted V.R. than I ever was with the Weiland fronted version.

I would also sir.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 7:05 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I would also sir.

Me too. Based on the original members of this band, their releases should have been much more interesting than they actually were.

IMO, of course.

PostSubject: Re: Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?   Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Velvet Revolver... falling to pieces?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2