Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time

Go down 
+5
shamgar75
7thSecond
scottmitchell74
James B.
DeathCult
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Empty
PostSubject: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 9:04 pm

There is something about this album that makes it unique (not the synths).

When I first bought this album, I wasn't too down with it. I mean, I liked it; I thought it was interesting, but it didn't grab me like Maiden's earlier masterworks. However, after dusting it off for a listen a couple of weeks ago, I've suddenly changed my mind.

This album is definately different: aside from the guitar synths (which I actually don't mind), there's a more epic, power-metal-like mood to the music. The lead guitar work is outstanding. There's a certain ambiance to this album that makes it perfect for listening when your lights are out and all that's on is your lava lamp and black light. This is album demands that you not head-band but that you listen, really listen. To me, this album feels like Iron Maiden's And Justice For All (in so far as the mood, not the music....I think AMOLAD did that).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 9:05 pm

It's my personal favorite 80's Maiden studio album....
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 9:06 pm

It's one of my favorites from them. People are too tough on it alot just because of the synth factor I've noticed. But then again, most "real" metal fans seem to appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 9:07 pm

spectrefate wrote:
It's my personal favorite 80's Maiden studio album....

I dunno Spec, I like it alot, but Killers is my favorite
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 12:09 am

I used to think Iron Maiden was way too predictable and played it safe with every album, but the more I listen the more I am suprised at how versatile they actually are. They did 70's style rock n' roll very well, pulled off a killer prog-progressive metal album with their last effort and have even covered and improved upon an 80's pop song ("That Girl" by FM).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 7:15 am

Somewhere in time is beyond great, beyong fantastic. I would rank it number 2 on my top favs of Maiden, with Powerslave number 1.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 7:16 am

Not only does it have the synths, but they were doing something new that they had never done before. I love it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 12:22 pm

It's the must have of their catalog IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 1:00 pm

really cool artwork, too

I'd like to pick up a vinyl copy (along with Powerslave) so that I can see more closely all the things that are going on in the picture
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 9:53 pm

the comment of Maiden doing 70's style rock is valid considering Maiden began in the mid 70's and Steve Harris is a big Pete Way / UFO fan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 6:38 am

Steve is a very talented bassist if you ask me. I think he's one of the best
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:43 am

Loving all things pre-SIT Maiden I tried and tried and tried......to like it. Finally I said "enough forcing the issue" and sold it as well as 7th Son. Just too "light in the loafers" for me. There's something missing. Those two sound so antiseptic to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:47 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Loving all things pre-SIT Maiden I tried and tried and tried......to like it. Finally I said "enough forcing the issue" and sold it as well as 7th Son. Just too "light in the loafers" for me. There's something missing. Those two sound so antiseptic to me.

I used to like you. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:52 am

I never liked you! Razz
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Definitely my favorite album from Maiden. Next would be The Number of the Beast.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:38 pm

It was the first Maiden album I ever listened to. A friend of mine in high school let me borrow it. I loved it then and I love it now. Probably my favorite Maiden album of the 80's, although it's a tough call.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 1:07 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

I can understand why you might not like SIT. But, I find it odd that you consider SSOASS to be too light. Artistic:yes. Heavy: oh ya. Moonchild is one their fastest songs; the title track, a lot like Rime of the Ancient Mariner, has a wicked aggressive chorus and a sick solo. The album is like Powerslave with a little bit of SIT.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 5:52 am

Somewhere in Time rules! Melodic and memorable. 🤘
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:48 am

Somewhere in Time is a great album as well as Seventh Son of a Seventh son is in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:04 pm

I think this is a great Maiden album but it's definately something of a milestone. It was actually the start of bit of a decline in popularity for maiden in America. If you consider that it came out in 1986 the same year that Reign in Blood, master of Puppets and Peace Sells came out, as well as several other classics. Peoples tastes were turing more towards the harder and heavier end of metal with Thrash really coming into it's own and the Death Metal boom just around the coner.

It's because of this that SIT never relly got the credit it deserves. Same thing happened to Priest around the same time as 1986 saw Turbo released with a more commercial slant and also synth guitar.

This is a great Maiden album full of classic songs with no filler.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:08 pm

Oddly enough, Somewhere In Time was the first Maiden album I ever bought, back when it was a new release... even though I'd been well aware of their existence for a few years prior to that. (thanks to MTV and metal radio) Needless to say, I eventually went back and collected the rest of their catalog shortly afterwards. Laughing

One thing I always remember about this album (and those of you who live in the New York/New Jersey tri-state area may remember this) is that when Maiden's tour for this album came thru the area and played @ the Meadowlands Arena, fans rioted in the parking lot after the show and wrecked a bunch of cars, turned'em over, set them on fire, fought with cops, etc., etc. -- it was QUITE a big deal in the local news media for quite some time afterward. I wasn't at the show, though I had really wanted to go... but when I heard about the post-show goings-on the next day I was kinda glad I didn't!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:14 pm

Fat Freddy,

I remember this riot you described. Although being from the UK and not quite into Maiden at this time I wasn't there I do rember either reading about it or hearing someone talk about it on a Maiden DVD. Sounded wild.

Do you know what started it or why the riot took place?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:20 pm

UltraMagnus007 wrote:
Fat Freddy,

I remember this riot you described. Although being from the UK and not quite into Maiden at this time I wasn't there I do rember either reading about it or hearing someone talk about it on a Maiden DVD. Sounded wild.

Do you know what started it or why the riot took place?

I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure, but I'd guess a mix of alcohol and idiocy, combined with overzealous "security" guards.

The Meadowlands Arena used to have a lot of parking lot fights and security dramas in those days. I went to an AC/DC show there about a year after the Maiden riot and saw a fight break out that culminated in a bunch of guys hammering a guy's van with beer bottles as he sped through the lot towards the gate... I was scared to death because I had my Dad's car (I had just gotten my license a few weeks before the concert) and I knew if there was any damage to it when I got home I was a dead man!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:41 pm

I've never seen anything like you describe at any gig I've been to and hope I never do
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:49 pm

It was the 80s, maaaaaan... it wasn't officially a "good show" till someone got a broken nose or the cops were called, whichever came first! Hahaha!

Nah, but seriously, I don't know if there were just a greater concentration of jug heads in this area or if that sort of concert nonsense went on everywhere, but I always tried to keep my head down and enjoy the show rather than join the mob...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time   Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Page 1 of 1