Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland

Go down 
+2
scottmitchell74
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Empty
PostSubject: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 6:03 pm

OK, so I've been intrested in these guys for some time now, however almost all of their albums are imports, so I've had to order them online. I keep hearing great things about this album, from Scott and from review sites, so I decided to take the plunge and start with this one.

Musically, these guys are pure Kai Hansen/Helloween worship. No surprise as the drummer was orignally from Hansen's Gamma Ray. This isn't flowery power metal (though what's "flowery" is a matter of opinoin", this is OLD SCHOOL euro-power in the vain of Helloween's "Keeper" duology. The guitars are fast and shredding, the drums are fast and uptempo, and the vocals are of the falsetto, operatic vein. Furthermore, like their colleagues Blind Guardian, the lead singer is supported by a choir company (many of whom are also part of the BG choirs). The synthesizers also play an important part, creating such things as cathedral church organs, tubular bells, and Wagnerian orchestral trumpets.

Now, lyrically is where these guys stand out.

I once read a reviewer online describe the songs of this group as religious hymns written by a bard in Middle-Earth. That's as good a description as any. Though the lyrics are tinged in Tolkien-esqe fantasy, the lyrics often sing of omnipetent deities, glorious warriors, holy martyrs, and a longing for a time "when the sun will rise for us again". All of this is within the framework of the album's storyline, which is about a group of refugees from the mighty kingdom of Taragon, driven from their homeland and awaiting to fulfill the prophecy of the Heralds of Light, when the Son of All Light will descend down from the stars, and the Taragonians will triumphantly return to their homeland.

Anyone who has even an elementary understanding of the Gospel would know that this is an allegorical representation of the Exodus, and an effective one at that.

I can't overstate enough the absolute joyousness of this music. It really is almost religious in a way. Some songs almost have the power of a church hymn. It's very rare that I hear a song in the metal genre that is actually inspirational (outside of Christian metal, that is).

Some people would call this "happy metal". Some people can kiss my happy, hairy rear end. Cool

I give this album five ultra-sunny smileymen out of five. My highest reccomendation.

sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 6:32 pm

I like this album well enough. 🤘
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 7:32 pm

___

Last edited by tohostudios on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 7:39 pm

Hmmm....either my new contacts are giving me problems or the title of this thread got changed.

I'd swear the title used to read "Freedom Call - Dimensions".

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 8:08 pm

I agree, the album is totally worthy of the 5 smileys. Stairway to fairyland does have a very happy almost cheeky vibe to it which made it very interesting in my opinion because I hear way to much Euro powermetal overly gothic/renaisancish which just comes across dark sounding. The lyrics, even though very tolkien/nordic themed are kind of lackluster somewhat similar to the quality of early Narnia lyrics in quality. The same words are used often sometimes and not really that thought out, and phrasing is sort of sketchy. Vocals by Chris Bay remind of Andre Matos of Angra sometimes. If you dont have it, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

Last edited by Stender on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 8:17 pm

Yep, Stairway was my introduction to Freedom Call and I loved it.

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 9:18 am

Love that album. A friend of mine gave me that album, and I never new it was a import. Now, I gotta figure out where he gets his stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 9:18 am

Freedom Call!!!!!!!!! We are of thee occult
Back to top Go down
ghostintheruins
Metal novice
Metal novice
ghostintheruins

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Great album. All the stuff I have of theirs is top class, although some people might find it a little bit too cheesy for their liking I love it.
Back to top Go down
Mordor
Metal student
Metal student
Mordor

Number of posts : 123

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 6:14 am

Freedom Call are one of my top 5 fav bands. Love them. When I saw Gamma Ray in Sydney last year we got to meet them and I started talking to Dan Zimmermann (Drums) and asked when the new Freedom Call was coming out and he looked shocked that I actually knew them LOL After that we chatted for a good 20 minutes 🤘 really cool guy. If you all like Chris Bay's vocals make sure you check out the first 2 albums by a band called MoonDoc..AWESOME!!!!!!!!
That was his band before Freedom Call..
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofmetal.dk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland   FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FREEDOM CALL - Stairway to Fairyland
Page 1 of 1