Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Living Colour

Go down 
+15
7thSaviour
kalrawk
Required Fields
mc666
tohostudios
EvyMetal
DeathCult
shamgar75
Shiney
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
Troublezone
DallasBlack
jstate
MetalRob331
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Living Colour - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 5:31 pm

BAD BRAINS and LIVING COLOUR were compared in that DR.KNOWS guitar sound and style is (imo) similar to REID's...listen to "I Against I" and the guitar playing has a sort of "controlled cacophonic "skronkiness" throughout...which is as I also think LIVING COLOUR's guitar sound registers....

SPADE GHETTO DESTRUCTION was ok at best.....better than PROPER GROUNDS to be sure....

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 5:37 pm

Other than the ubiquitous "Cult Of Personality", I never have been able to get into this band.

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 7:17 pm

Shiney wrote:
SPADE GHETTO DESTRUCTION was ok at best.....better than PROPER GROUNDS to be sure....
I can hardly remember it. I requested it through SwapaCD, though, so we'll see. Laughing Never heard of Proper Grounds. And for those that like Bad Brains, I do recommend Skindred and Dub War (the band Skindred was spawned from).

Skindred:

Dub War:

Both are excellent bands, in my opinion. Another band that is somewhat similar but incorporates more ska is The Urge. They've been broken up for a good while now, but I really dig 'em.

Someone change this thread title to Bands With Black Folk. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 8:08 pm

What about 24-7 Spyz? They are somewhat interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 8:33 pm

troublezone wrote:
What about 24-7 Spyz? They are somewhat interesting.
Very good band. I actually saw them at Vino's in Little Rock back in the day; but I had to leave because they were just too loud! Way too loud for that tiny place. I would have liked to have stayed, but it was really loud. It hurt.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 7:25 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Other than the ubiquitous "Cult Of Personality", I never have been able to get into this band.

That track is still IMO the best one on Vivid. The rest aren't bad but they are the kind of songs I have to be in the mood for (which is not that often).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 7:37 pm

And back in the day, Cult Of Personality was inescapable; every time I turned on MTV, that video was on. Great song but ramming in my face every day just made me sick of it.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 8:16 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I'm a fan. They have some killer songs, but have never been consistent. I actually just picked up a single for "Auslander" the other day. It's got a great non-LP b-side called "17 Days."
that's my favorite song by them. it's also from their best album, imo.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 12:57 pm

Living Colour is my favorite black metal band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
kalrawk
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 2:07 pm

"what is your favorite color? LIVING COLOUR!!!!" that went in my head for a long time... great band to rock out by then...
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:38 am

LOVE THIS BAND! Vivid 10/10
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:17 pm

anyone else snag The Chair in the Doorway? an excellent hard rock album, & comeback.

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 pm

Yea I got it last week or the week before I forget whenever it came out. I think it sounds great. Definetly better than Kaliedoscope. That album sounded horrible and made for a really bad comeback album. But this new one is pretty good. Still not as good as Stain but atleast this one is passable and listenable unlike the comeback album. I listened to it a couple times in one day I was very pleased with the new one.

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 7:45 am

yeah i read that even the band was dissatisfied with Kaliedoscope, saying to was rushed & uninspired. this one sounds more relaxed & comfortable. not quite as in your face as Stain was (which is my fave by them), but more like a modern Time's Up.

DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:28 am

Vivid and Stain are my favorites, I fell off with this type of music around that time, so I've never heard much else from them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:31 am

Anybody else see them on Late Night? They were killer!

Living Colour - BEHIND THE SUN (live)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:55 pm

Probably the coolest thing that Doofus ever had on his show. Corey Glover always has that distinct voice and he hasn't lost it one bit, he sounded great. Vernon Reid is a great guitar player as well. He looks like he barely touches the guitar but hits all the right notes. Calhoun didn't really do anything impressive on the new album but from their previous work he has already proved that hes a great drummer and Doug Whimbash is a great bass player again I don't think his work on the new album blew me away but on Stain the sounds that he had were unbelievable.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:58 pm

'Stain' was IMO, their best album and of course the least successful commerically.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:40 pm

L.C. was cool. I only ever had "VIVID" which of course was their big hit (featuring the ubiquitous "Cult of Personality") but I dug it.

When I was in college occasionally the student council would have local bands come and play on the patio of the student union building in the spring when the weather was nice. I walked in to go to lunch one day and there was a group outside playing a bunch of funk/rock covers, they weren't really my thing so I didn't stick around to watch. A little while later one of my friends told me that while I was inside the building eating, the band introduced "a good friend of ours" who turned out to be Vernon Reid. He put on a guitar and busted out "Cult of Personality" with them and I missed it!! Living Colour - Page 2 206547

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 7:50 pm

hahaha that sucks cool story.

PostSubject: Re: Living Colour   Living Colour - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Living Colour
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: