Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Masters Of Reality

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Empty
PostSubject: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Who 'ere loves these guys and their brand of roadhouse blues/roots metal.

This bands is so time locked in the late 60's early 70's that it just has to be admired even if not internalized by your ears.

Evoking the sounds of shooting stars from a bygone era like the Doors, Ten Years After, Led Zeppelin, Blind Faith, Cream, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix Experience etc Masters Of Reality almost single handedly (re)invented the 90's stoner rock boom that lives in the gut of Kyuss and affiliate bands.

Band leader Chris Goss could be seen as the godfather of that movement, because not only did his music with the Masters Of Reality inspire it he also helped shape its sound producing key albums by Kyuss, Queens Of The Stone Age etc.

Masters Of Reality music is never psychedalic as these things can be (although the lyrics at times go against it) but just a lovely flow of creamy blues metal. Evoking images and atmospheres of the desert and such.

The S/T debut (Or Blue Garden as it is also known due to the stunning cover artwork) from 1988 is my fav for its Doors meets Led Zeppelin ethic. But second album Sunrise On The Sufferbus (1993) is a close second for it's more Cream like sound, Goss somehow roped in drum god Ginger Baker for the album which makes sense with the Cream comparison.

I don't have any of the later albums but i hear their great but not as essential as the first 2.

If you haven't already get the debut at least, this is one of the greatest underrated bands of hard rock/metal.

Masters Of Reality - Domino promo from 1990

Last edited by rattpoison on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:46 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 pm

I like 'em! But the singer is a lil' bit boring he have nothing special but the songs really rock!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 1:13 am

I like Chris Goss's voice, at times it's reminiscent of Jim Morrison.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 4:42 pm

I love the s/t (Blue Garden) cd....never checked out any of the others....

I have been going to toss these guys up in your "Lost Bands" thrad but had not yet done so....

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 7:41 pm

I say get Sunrise On The Sufferbus from 1993 i think, brilliant album.

This is a shame hardly no one know them, this one of the greatest little ongoing chapters in hard rock/metal's history. Underrated to the nines, they make King's X look like the Rolling Stones!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:11 am

All this talk of Cream made me wanna bump this thread. You know Ginger Baker drummed for these guys.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:21 am

I like them a lot. "Doraldine's Prophecies" is a great song, but the lyrics creep me out. Is Goss singing about sleeping with his sister there? Yuk.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:47 am

I thought you'd know them.

I wouldn't say so, there is nothing really about sleeping with his sister as i recall. Pretty trippy lyrics nonetheless.

Stuff like

"When I was just a little boy
I tried to cross the river
Jumped on an alligator
I thought he was a horse"

and

"When we were just a little girl
We tried to catch the bluebird
But he grabbed her and he ate her"
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 8:33 am

Have Sunrise On The Sufferbus for trade, if anyone is interested.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:10 am

I have the first album and I love it! It was one of those totally blind buys and Im so glad I bought it.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 6:50 pm

zombiewalkin wrote:
I have the first album and I love it! It was one of those totally blind buys and Im so glad I bought it.

Did you take a chance on it cause of the great artwork?

masters of reality - Masters Of Reality 1988_mor_blue_garden
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 11:05 pm

rattpoison wrote:
zombiewalkin wrote:

Did you take a chance on it cause of the great artwork?

masters of reality - Masters Of Reality 1988_mor_blue_garden

I took a chance based on who was in the band.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 am

ultmetal wrote:

I took a chance based on who was in the band.

Ginger Baker!

You should really get the debut from 1988. Different to Sunrise On The Sufferbus. Really great Doors meets Zeppelin blues metal then the straight ahead Cream of Sunrise.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 7:36 pm

seriously Ult...you'd probably like the 1988 debut much more than the other...which by the way I'll take if you wanna set it aside for me...or send it on and i'll send you a goodie for it...

Pm lemme know.

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 1:06 pm

I LOVE this band...and pretty much everything else that Goss has been involved in over the years (as producer, whatever). There are quite a few other album available from these guys that don't get mentioned often.

masters of reality - Masters Of Reality 0000170041_350

How High The Moon - Live At The Viper Room. This is an excellent live record featuring some songs not available on any other albums. The highlight is probably the uber-heavy updating of the song Blue Garden from the first album.

masters of reality - Masters Of Reality B00006L76A.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_

Flak 'n' Flight - This is another fantastic live album....it's Goss with Josh Homme & Nick Oliveri from Queens of the Stone Age added to the lineup. KILLER!

masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Deepinthehole
Deep In The Hole - This was their return to a "straight ahead" rock album after experimenting a little too much with Welcome to the Western Lodge. This album ROCKS!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Masters Of Reality   masters of reality - Masters Of Reality Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Masters Of Reality
Page 1 of 1