Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dark Angel - Leaves Scars

Go down 
+6
Required Fields
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
DeathCult
kmorg
Muloc7253
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:20 pm

great album, dark angel is one of those bands that never released a bad album
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I never understood why bands are crticized for "trying too hard".

You're supposed to try/work hard.

One can argue that thy tried in the wrong direction though, which I guess is what most people mean when they say that.

They definitely tried too hard in the respect that it came off as forced and not good to my ears.

But like I said before, "Time Does Not Heal" has some pretty cool tracks on it. "Leave Scars" is mostly a dud for me, though.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:39 pm

I guess that is what I am saying, I've never heard a band and thought they sounded "forced", though I see a lot of people say things like that.

I've heard some bands and thought their songs weren't any good.

I've heard some bands and thought they are obviously trying to be commercial and it comes across as lame.

I'm not sure what "forced" music sounds like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:49 pm

I liked Dark Angel's brand of intense thrash in the mid 80s. They thrashed away and turned out some really good, intense, heavy songs.

On "Leave Scars" you can tell they were going for a different sound. It, along with "Time Does Not Heal" (which worked out better for me) had a more progressive, slightly lighter sound to it that didn't always work. "Leave Scars" left me feeling empty, the music doesn't gel for me. It "feels" forced like they were entering a style of music they obviously weren't accustomed to. They must have been 'trying too hard' to distance themselves from "Darkness Descends" and in my opinion achieved less-than-stellar results.

It's one thing to be ambitious, of course.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Well, I kindof tried to spin the discussion away from DA to talk in general about that criticism that I hear so often. I wasn't offended or anything about what you said about DA.

Oh well ...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 6:33 am

Great album! I have the Century Media version.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Bumping this cause it's similiar...

Dark Angel - Live Scars

I recently picked this up from a used shop that I frequent. Maybe it's me, not being a long-time hardcore fan and all, but I'm just not feeling the Live Scars cd. All of the songs blaze along at the same break-neck speed and just seem to blend together. That might sound weird, seeing that it's a thrash band and the songs should be fast. But if it weren't for the between song banter, I couldn't tell one song from the next on here. Maybe it's the mixing of the album and all I hear is the drums. I dunno. I've given it multiple spins and I'm just not feelin' it.

Anyone else feel this way?

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 3:26 pm

I love that album. DA is defined by that blitzkrieg of riffage. I think it's great!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 4:06 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I love that album. DA is defined by that blitzkrieg of riffage. I think it's great!

Meh, I'm just not hearing it, I guess. The only song I can make out is the very last one, 'I Don't Care About You' which is a cover tune. And I'm I'm only familair with that one because GnR covered it on Spaghetti Incident.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Quote :
I hate thrash albums where the drums and vocals are cranked.

The guitar sounds loud enough to me... especially on the song "Cauterization".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angel - Leaves Scars   Dark Angel - Leaves Scars - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Angel - Leaves Scars
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: