Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When College gets boring

Go down 
+7
Mglaffas81
mc666
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
juanmiguel
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

Number of posts : 147

When College gets boring Empty
PostSubject: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:33 am

hello everyone, I just wanna ask all of the other older guys (i'm assuming they're responsible 'adults' of course) and pretty much everyone else in this board to commiserate with me regarding how much of a pit my college life is. I'm growing increasingly bored and uninterested in my subjects (I feel they aren't teaching me anything that'll really be useful in my future), I spend more time on campus with my friends and my grades are slipping. . . am I destined to become a loser?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:34 am

juanmiguel wrote:
hello everyone, I just wanna ask all of the other older guys (i'm assuming they're responsible 'adults' of course) and pretty much everyone else in this board to commiserate with me regarding how much of a pit my college life is. I'm growing increasingly bored and uninterested in my subjects (I feel they aren't teaching me anything that'll really be useful in my future), I spend more time on campus with my friends and my grades are slipping. . . am I destined to become a loser?

Sounds like you need to find classes that interest you. As a older guy who has just gone back to college, I have to recommend that you have to study what interests you. Don't look on college as a chore, it's the key to your future.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:43 am

I recommend beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Nah, but seriously, Spec nailed it on the head. If the stuff you're studying isn't floating your boat, maybe you should re-assess what it is you'd really LIKE to be studying.

And if that doesn't work, THEN there's beer.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:03 am

Spec's right. I changed my major 3 times before it was over and if I could do it again I'd get a different degree. It's hard, but if what you're studying is because of parental expectations, you won't do well. My first 1 1/2 was just like that. I was doing what my Dad thought was a good idea. There was nothing wrong with his idea, it just wasn't for me......
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 11:01 am

juanmiguel wrote:

Keep pushing - that's what I had to do. I was really bored throughout college. A college degree is important - most employers don't care what your major was, just that you have a degree (unless it's a job like Dr or Lawyer that requires specific education). If you don't like your classes, sign up for something else next semester!

I work in the Recruiting field (and have for 10 years), so I know what companies like to see in resumes.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 11:54 am

First make sure you have a clear objective of what you want from your degree, if your getting a degree just to have a degree then you might want to re-assess your stragedy. For me I was going to college without any clear idea where I was going. I went for a business degree because I had no clue as to what I want to do (unfortunatly I still don't) and figured I'd go from there. My grades started slipping (some due to boredom, some to sadistic proffessors-acutally just one) and I decided to take a break. During this break I realized that if I was to continue in the direction I was going I would be no better off with a degree than without it-a college degree has no function without some idea of what you want to do.

Second, once you do find your niche try to stay focused on it. While I'm not saying to be a boring study freak (i.e. don't make you focus 24/7, have some fun) do work more than play. I would end up cramming for exams and half assing the rest and focused on enjoying myself (I was going to college full time but living like a part time student). When the smoke cleared I was $16K in debt among other problems and now that I would like to go back to college and find something I like but have to focus most of my energy on paying off my debt. I am now trying to find something I can do without a degree but my lack of interest and focus on what I want to do it is very difficult.

Your still young and have plenty of time to find an objective and stick to it. Don't worry about being a loser because things seem hopeless now, you have some time to fix it. At least you have run into this problem while it's not too late to change things for the better unlike me. My choices in life are limited but your's are limitless as long as you stay focused on work and keep playtime in the background.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:17 pm

you are just getting lazy, just refocus & bear down. ditch the loser friends & stop wasting, both yours & the professors, time.

juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 11:53 pm

thanks everyone, your comments are priceless \m/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 12:33 am

Education doesn't make any one a winner or a loser. Being happy with yourself does.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 7:18 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Education doesn't make any one a winner or a loser. Being happy with yourself does.

- I could not agree with you more. I hate when people look down on people who don't have an education
- So what, if they make a living in Wal-Mart? If they are happy about it, and it doesn't affect anyone else, then why don't you just shut up, and leave them alone?

- Every person is independant. No matter if they have brothers or sisters, their parents, their other relatives, they are alone - Nobody is the same, and you should let nobody control your decisions and your life.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 8:49 am

Also, consider the fact that many successfull people never got a college degree (some never even graduated High School). A degree does not always equal success while no degree does not always equal failure failure.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:56 am

I agree about the degree thing making you happy but the stats show that those who went to college average a higher earning rate so if that is important to you consider it. Plus, many employers are looking for reasons to not hirer people and one of the things they look at is education.
Back to top Go down
juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:13 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
SAXON1500 wrote:

- I could not agree with you more. I hate when people look down on people who don't have an education
- So what, if they make a living in Wal-Mart? If they are happy about it, and it doesn't affect anyone else, then why don't you just shut up, and leave them alone?

- Every person is independant. No matter if they have brothers or sisters, their parents, their other relatives, they are alone - Nobody is the same, and you should let nobody control your decisions and your life.

Hey, your outlook regarding independence is completely the same as mine!!!
Back to top Go down
juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:14 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Also, consider the fact that many successfull people never got a college degree (some never even graduated High School). A degree does not always equal success while no degree does not always equal failure failure.

yeah, many people. . . like the 5 richest men in the world? hahaha (bill gates, steve allen, larry ellison. . .)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 12:22 pm

I left home at 14, lived on the streets, got expelled in 10th grade, yada, yada. I have now owned my own extremely successful company for 10 years, raised an awesome daughter who is makng her own successes in the world, etc. Me and Auntie plan on living in Belieze before we are 50 (within 10 years from now). Hope this does not sound like bragging, but hard work has been my route. Education is not the ONLY path (especially for the stubborn breed). I am not a smart man, but I know what love is, Jen-neee.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Quote :
Me and Auntie plan on living in Belieze

The education part is crucial, if only because I don't know where Belieze is.

However, yea, college isn't for everyone. I didn't go to "real" college. I opted for art school because it was what I was good at and I enjoyed it. So take a look at the classes you are taking, and if they don't interest you, switch to something that does. Now is the time to make those changes or mistakes. Don't wait till it's too late and you're stuck doing something that you hate or you'll reget it later in life.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 12:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Me and Auntie plan on living in Belieze

The education part is crucial, if only because I don't know where Belieze is.

However, yea, college isn't for everyone. I didn't go to "real" college. I opted for art school because it was what I was good at and I enjoyed it. So take a look at the classes you are taking, and if they don't interest you, switch to something that does. Now is the time to make those changes or mistakes. Don't wait till it's too late and you're stuck doing something that you hate or you'll reget it later in life.

EDIT: if college ain't for you, get out now and stop wasting your (or your parents money).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:59 pm

Quote :
The education part is crucial, if only because I don't know where Belize is.
South edge of the Mexican penisula, bordered to the south and west by Guatemala. Killer little seaside country, where the people are vey cool.

When College gets boring Moz-screenshot-7When College gets boring Map_belize
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 2:01 pm

You'll be just far enough south to miss the hurricanes that constantly hit the Yucatan.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 2:09 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
The education part is crucial, if only because I don't know where Belize is.
South edge of the Mexican penisula, bordered to the south and west by Guatemala. Killer little seaside country, where the people are vey cool.

When College gets boring Moz-screenshot-7When College gets boring Map_belize

Ohhhhhh, THAT Belize. Of course. Good luck with that. Me, my dream is to return to the Greek Islands and become a volcano tour guide/tortured artist with an addiction to ouzo and feta.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 4:20 pm

I'll join you in that dream!! Other than New Zealand, Greece was the most beautiful, friendly, and interesting country I have ever visited. Other than NYC rush hour traffic at 3 a.m. in Athens, and some strange bug infestation in one hotel room (we left half a pear out overnight. bad idea!), absolutely killer trip! Belize, for me, is a little more realistic, as far as traveling back to the states for company biz, ease of dual-residency (the laws are ultra-American friendly. A little dough in the bank and proof of income from the U.S., and that is about it!).
We have checked on property. 85 feet of beach front property 10 minutes out of Belize city for 150K! 64 room hotel for 500K! Everyone speaks English, etc. Greece would take alot more effort for us, but if I had the coconuts, it would be the coolest ever!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 1:03 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
I left home at 14, lived on the streets, got expelled in 10th grade, yada, yada.
we started out similar & have much the same perspective on the issue. however, i still believe that the more a man can learn, the better off he is. that is why i still took classes (often, one at a time, as i could afford both money & time) until i managed an associates degree in business management.

it's all up to the individual. no 1 certain path is for everyone.

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 1:25 am

Don't get me wrong - knowledge is power! I have taught my kid that from day one. I would never discourage anyone from higher education and had been to a couple of vo-techs when I was younger. But between my mental imbalances, problems with authority, chemicals, a bad practice marriage way too young, etc., it was not in the cards for me. Had to find another way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 8:33 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
I'll join you in that dream!! Other than New Zealand, Greece was the most beautiful, friendly, and interesting country I have ever visited. Other than NYC rush hour traffic at 3 a.m. in Athens, and some strange bug infestation in one hotel room (we left half a pear out overnight. bad idea!), absolutely killer trip! Belize, for me, is a little more realistic, as far as traveling back to the states for company biz, ease of dual-residency (the laws are ultra-American friendly. A little dough in the bank and proof of income from the U.S., and that is about it!).
We have checked on property. 85 feet of beach front property 10 minutes out of Belize city for 150K! 64 room hotel for 500K! Everyone speaks English, etc. Greece would take alot more effort for us, but if I had the coconuts, it would be the coolest ever!

my home is open for you, sir....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 9:33 am

[quote="SAXON1500"]I left home at 14, lived on the streets, got expelled in 10th grade, yada, yada.

street child what have you lost
what have you found?
has the weight of time been hard on your shoulders?

you thought the world was forgiving
but the mess in your head
made a mess of your heart

laughing at life you took if for granted
you finally found your way back hoooooome..........

for more rare M/M lyrics email me at:

i'mgermancollectordon'tknowshitboutmyrarevinylsbuti'mrichATmetalboerse.de
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When College gets boring   When College gets boring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When College gets boring
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next