Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Death Metal vocals...BORING?

Go down 
+18
Olafsto
TH Joe
iamrockerfun
journeyman
arttieTHE1manparty
Required Fields
SAHB Healer
Lurideath
mc666
Smindas
AchrisK
scottmitchell74
Thrasher73
SideShowDisaSter
Follower of Jesus
sovdat
ultmetal
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Death Metal vocals...BORING? Empty
PostSubject: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 8:53 am

In the last few years I've grown tired and bored with death metal vocals. It seems any new band/music I hear with death metal vox just does nothing for me. It's the same old, same old. Back in the early 90's when that sort of thing was fresh, it was a blast, but now it's just commonplace. Anyone else feeling like this?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 8:54 am

absolutly. i hear ya
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 8:59 am

Depends on the voice, for me...some sounds monotonous, some sound good. That said, I haven't listened to a lot of Death Metal vocals in a while...
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 9:12 am

No. A die hard death metal fan will probably say that most of the thrash bands do sound the same, as you said the same from the thrasher view on the death metal scene. In fact, my mother wonders why do I keep buying new CDs, when everything sounds the same (no matter if I'm listening to Jag Panzer or Fleshcrawl). Smile
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus
Metal student
Metal student
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 121

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 9:36 am

Absolutely agree with you, Ult! I love the sound of death metal, especially melodic death metal. But the vocals are just boring and distracting. If a band could do the death metal style but with just an aggressive voice, instead of the growling, then I'd be all over it.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 9:37 am

Yah, there isn't a lot of new DM that I actually like. Most of the stuff I was into was back from the early days of the Florida scene.

Most of them nowadays sound the same, whereas back then, you KNEW who you were listening to. The vocalists may have sounded somewhat alike, but there WERE differences, and the music was pretty distinct among each band.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 9:41 am

yeah I agree Ult,alot of the bands just sound alike,no real distinction between the vocals.However there are a few that are different enough to be enjoyable.I enjoy Cannibal Corpse,Metanoia,Mortification.But most just run together like one long song.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 10:55 am

I agree as well....a Death metal band has to be VERY unique these days to draw my interest...
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 11:08 am

Regarding the modern hard music scene, there is a trend to utilize/incorporate DM-ish vox. First you have extreme hardcore and metalcore, and then whole influx of modern American metal. It has produced an overabundance of DM-ish singer, most alternating with a clean vocal as well. Then you have even emo-core or whatever bands mixing DM-ish vox with styles that should NOT be mixed with these vox. I can say I tire of hearing these bands altogether. All these vocals seem to be very samey and become very annoying.

But then you have real death metal bands. I think this is where DM vox belong. I can tell you that I derive great listening pleasure from some death metal vocals, and some annoy the crud out of me. I think a good DM singer can do, and does something that this influx of nu-dm singers do not do. A good dm vocalist adds depth and character and becomes an instrument that compliments DEATH METAL perfectly.

So, are the bands you are annoyed with real DM bands?

ack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 11:15 am

I love a good, deep, rich GROOOOOOWWWLLLLLL....
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 11:16 am

So, are the bands you are annoyed with real DM bands?

No, it's more what you described above, although I was listening to a new death/thrash band called Scourged Flesh this morning when I typed this.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 11:19 am

Whatever/however you describe Becoming The Archetype....I love how they vocalize. It's a mix, but they do it so well. And when they are in full blown DM vocals it's done well. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 11:39 am

I think death metal vocals are great if they're done right.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 12:07 pm

i'm a huge death metal fan. i don't expect everyone to like it. t's just personal taste. it's not for everyone.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39597

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm

Never liked it, never will
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 1:58 pm

mc666 wrote:
i'm a huge death metal fan. i don't expect everyone to like it. t's just personal taste. it's not for everyone.

Agreed. When you love them and they are done well, they rule!!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Well to me it depends on the band. I think with a lot of this extremely brutal stuff it does get boring. But I still listen to a lot of death metal that have phenomenal death metal vocals.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 6:45 pm

I have always hoped it was just a phase. I do like many of the albums; but it's in spite of the vocals. I think that style has compromised a lot of otherwise great music, to some degree. I hope the Cookie Monster retires someday.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 7:29 pm

I like a few current death metal bands, such as Psycroptic, Disavowed, and Necrophagist. I don't see too many people here digging them, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 7:37 pm

I guess if you are not a regular listener they all sound the same. They different to me. The only ones I do not like are gurgle (Mortician) and Muffled ( Dying Fetus). The rest are cool with me. Love me some DM/ Hope to increase the collection over the next few months
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Death metal vox is not a phase. It will never go away.

One of my least favorite DM vox is Crimson Thorn. YUK!

ack
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Forever A Heath Bar wrote:
I guess if you are not a regular listener they all sound the same. They different to me. The only ones I do not like are gurgle (Mortician) and Muffled ( Dying Fetus). The rest are cool with me. Love me some DM/ Hope to increase the collection over the next few months

Mortician are one of the worst metal bands ever.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 pm

I have ALWAYS felt that way about 95% of death vocals...and 99% of all black metal vocals are irritatingl!

ARttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 10:02 pm

I agree completely. Death Metal vocals detract from the music. I end up spending more time trying to figure out if they are singing words or just making sounds and end up missing the whole song.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 11:42 pm

Quote :
One of my least favorite DM vox is Crimson Thorn

agreed....so much so I had to trade it away....also Metanoia after In Darkness and in Light... got too gargly...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death Metal vocals...BORING?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next