Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flies On Fire

Go down 
+2
Shiney
tohostudios
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 8:53 pm

All this Rose Tattoo, Black Crowes talk made me remember this band from the late 80s. To my knowledge they only released two albums, an S/T and "Outside Looking Inside". The music is very much in the Stones, early Crowes vain with a touch of the Quireboys. Bluesy, whiskey-drenched, songs about lovin' and losin', drinking and alienation often accompanied by honky tonk style piano.

Anybody else ever heard this band?

Last edited by tohostudios on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 10:16 pm

I love this band as well....have both cds and cannot figure out why they are so unknown....

You need to check out the bands BROKEN HOMES and WILL & THE KILL...if you don't already know them....

very remniscient of F.O.F. they mined the same musical territories around the same time...

Wait till RATTPOSION see this thread...he'll pee a little I bet...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 pm

I have Broken Homes. Need to check out Will and The Kill.

I've come to the conclusion that this is my favorite genre. Recomendations of similar bands are welcomed.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 12:49 am

Wow the Flies are awesome, total roots rock at its best.

I love the debut it's my fav of theirs, saw it in a used record store and took a punt on it considering the front cover looked pretty rockin'. Probably the best chance i've taken ever.

Flies On Fire 9f5d024128a00536cc334010._AA240_.L

How can you not take that home?

That record has probably the best named song ever in 'Baptize Me Over Elvis Presley's Grave'

The late 80's had a lot of these great roots/country rock/hard rock crossover bands that emanated from the tough punked roots/country rock of the Del-Lords & Jason & The Scorchers and fully realised in the more hard rocked Georgia Satellites, Flies On Fire, Royal Court Of China and the daddies of them all Kings Of The Sun.

And Toho how come i haven't seen you post on my great Faces thread?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 10:00 am

Quote :
Del-Lords & Jason & The Scorchers and fully realised in the more hard rocked Georgia Satellites, Flies On Fire, Royal Court Of China and the daddies of them all Kings Of The Sun.

Oh wow! I have all those bands! I lived near Nashville in the 80s so I got to see Jason and the Scorchers open up for Georgia Satellites at a little bar in Murfreesboro, TN the night that the Satellites got a major label deal. What a show! Also got to see Royal Court of China since they were from Nashville. Living there is also the only reason I know about Webb Wilder.

And I haven't posted in the Faces thread because I'm not that familiar with them... Embarassed

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Well i say get on it regarding the Faces, cause that is were all this honky tonk barroom drunkeness all emanates from. Get A Nod Is As Good As Wink To...A Blind Horse (1971), better than the Stones!

Must of been a thrill to see Jason & The Scorchers, their one of my top favs. So criminally underrated and influential.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Stay away from Jason's solo stuff though; it's pure country.

Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 8:08 pm

I have this and haven't listened to it much, it never really struck me for some reason.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 8:17 pm

I like Outside Looking Inside more than the S/T in Rattpoison's post. Although Anything Goes and Baptize Me are cool.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 12:37 am

tohostudios wrote:
Stay away from Jason's solo stuff though; it's pure country.

His solo stuff is great One Foot In Honky Tonk (1992) and A Pocket Full Of Soul (2000) are more country but i really like them at times reminds me of Gram Parsons who is pretty close to my fav artist ever.

But i suggest you check out his album All Over Creation (2002), he collaborates with Steve Earle, Todd Snider & The Wildhearts! (The song he and Ginger wrote is freakin' great). It's a mixed bag of styles hard rock, country, acoustic ballads, bluegrass, rockabilly etc. Some great covers as well, particuarly his stunning bluegrass version of the Gun Club's 'Mother Of Earth'.
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 12:50 am

For some reason, I've always lumped these guys in with the whole late 80s alt/indie rock scene, like REM or something (without hearing a note of their music, of course lol! - maybe it's the name? ). Seeing that I'm apparently WAY off base here, and it sounds like something I'd like (given the Quireboys reference), I'll have to check this out.

Very cool album cover.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 1:21 am

Heres a live clip i found of them in 1987!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIc7QbEsCpc
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 11:47 am

This band is nothing like REM. More like the Stones, Crowes, Quireboys, etc with an occasional country twinge.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 1:41 pm

Alot like THE JONESES or early HEARTBREAKERS.....sometimes sorta GEORGIA SATELLITES....always rockin'

FLIES ON FIRE are a great band and you can literally get their cds for a few cents on ebay...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Good reference with early Heartbreakers.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 1:47 pm

You ever heard THE JONESES? They recently reissued their material...They can be gotten fairly cheap on half.com....

"Keeping Up With The Joneses"
"Criminal History"

Great great band...you need to check out.

warning....this is NOT the same band who released the cd "hard" in 1990 on Atlantic. While that JONESES is not bad at all....it's not the same band.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 1:48 pm

I have the "other Joneses", "Hard"

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Thats actually a pretty good bluesy hard rock piece...but given what I know about you and your tastes you need the "Real" JONESES.... 🤘

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 1:52 pm

I'll check them out.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:53 pm

The 'Hollywood' Joneses are the only glam band to come out of el lay in the 80's that matters.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:53 pm

The Joneses
Flies On Fire 1022849516_l

Pillbox is one the greatest rock n' roll songs ever written, and i mean ever

http://www.myspace.com/thejoneses82

Last edited by rattpoison on Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:55 pm

Hey, do the "Hollywood" Joneses matter?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 10:00 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Hey, do the "Hollywood" Joneses matter?

They made all that wanky metal sh*t that passed it's self off as glam from LA in the 80's look like total and utter crap.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 10:03 pm

No fair editing to make me look like a moron.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 10:04 pm

BTW, I don't remember if it was rattpoison or Shiney who recommended Chinatown, but great recommendation! I'm really diggin' this disc. So far my favorite is "Streetlight Parasite".

Flies On Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flies On Fire   Flies On Fire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flies On Fire
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next