Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alestorm

Go down 
+7
exact33
Wargod
Olafsto
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
Smindas
ghost
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 am

My colleague told me of this band. Yesterday he gave me a cdr and I listened to it a few minutes ago. I enjoyed it really so much that I will buy the album. It is a perfect mixture of Running Wild Pirat Metal with Scandinavian Viking/Folk Metal of bands like Turisas or Ensiferum. Anybody else here who like them? Any thoughts about them?

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm
Back to top Go down

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:36 am

I dig them. Bought the album when it was released like two weeks ago. I'd recommend them to anyone that likes Elvenking.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 5:40 am

Absolutely genius band, heard their CD a few weeks ago and am currently waiting for my own copy in the post. I wouldn't really compare them to Elevenking all that much, mainly because of the vocal differences. However, I think they deserve the title "British Korpiklaani". If I don't have work, I'll go catch them playing with Norther and Turisas in Cardiff. Should be a great gig.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 7:58 am

Listened on Myspace.....they're on the "want" list now!!
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 8:08 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Listened on Myspace.....they're on the "want" list now!!

I knew that you will like them from our comp swap last year Wink
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 9:32 am

Ghost - I think your taste in music is the closest to mine as anyone I've met on line....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 9:37 am

I found them on another board. I love the song "Wenches and Mead". Just the title alone cracks me up. I wish the lead vox were better though.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 am

Got a sample cd in a metal mag i subscribe to, with the song Captain Morgans Revenge by Alestorm. KILLER
Will be ordered this weekend!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 11:24 am

tohostudios wrote:
I found them on another board. I love the song "Wenches and Mead". Just the title alone cracks me up. I wish the lead vox were better though.
It wouldn't sound piratey with a proper singer! And I agree, Wenches And Mead is an amazing cut.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:03 pm

Yeah it does indeed have a different approach to their style, they incorperate folk/pirate metal very well!

Wargod48

NP: Firewind - The Premonition
Back to top Go down

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:14 pm

http://www.myspace.com/swashbuckle

Another pretty cool "pirate metal" band. Much heavier, though.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Listened to their myspace again. I really like this!!!

Sept. 19, 2008 these guys go on a loop!!!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Alestorm is one those bands that has me on the fence. I kinda sort of like the vocals and music but am wary about how durable a listen this will be. How is the entire cd ghost?

Alex

ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 4:19 am

The entire CD is pure fun music. I think that you will enjoy it, because you like Turisas. They have fast and powerful songs like "Huntmaster" or "Set Sail and conquer" as well as accustic and mid tempo titles. The last song is a cover of a scottish folksong. The best song for me is the bombasic title song.
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 7:03 am

I actually bought this on a whim after coming across the CD in a local record shop. The sticker on the front said "Scottish Pirate Metal".

I thought, that sounds different why not. I have to say I am glad I got it. This band rock. Well played and very interesting songs played in a folk/viking metal style but with a huge sense of fun.

Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 8:03 am

My copy of Captain Morgan's Revenge finally came in the post today. It is a rather fantastic album. Very over the top and very enjoyable. Also, it has one of the best CD covers ever.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 9:06 am

ghost wrote:
The entire CD is pure fun music.

My thoughts exactly, this is just another in a long line of possible top albums this year. I agree that the vocals fit the music just right (for some reason I think about the vocalist for Grave Digger-gravely yet strangely melodic) to give it the pirate sound. I wonder if these guys are big Running Wild fans? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:12 am

Musically I hear no RW in the band.... definitely more of a watered-down Turisas sort of thing....who themselves are a watered down version of Ensiferum......not good....I kind of like the vocals once in a while but I really can't help but think it's the gimmick that sells them for the most part. Also, RW wasn't this gimmicky and goofy; everybody knows them for pirate themes, but in reality there were only 2 or maybe 3 songs like that per album, some albums had nothing about old piracy at all, and most of the lyrics in general were broadly historical or just good old heavy metal anthems about heavy metal. Certainly nothing like 'Nancy the Tavern Wench'.

This release has 17 reviews on the metal-archives, while Running Wild, who are *speed-metal-legends*, don't break 8 for any of their 13 studio albums. I'm willing to guess whatever it is that puts the kids off of RW is sufficiently awesome... like the fact that RW is epic, uncompromising, riff-filled heavy metal........ Cool

So I think we've demonstrated there shouldn't really be a comparison. This band is just another folk-ish power metal-ish thing. I don't necessarily mind the style, but their songwriting just doesn't do anything for me as of now.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:36 am

I like them and I love Turisas and Ensiferum.

Funny you mentioned those two OCI -

I saw Turisas and Ensiferum together at Pagan Fest USA and Turisus put on the much better show. I like Ensiferum's studio stuff more, but in concert Turisas were incredible!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:47 am

I am seeing Alestorm at Bloodstock in two weeks. I should also hopefully get to meet them and have them sign my CD. I am very excited Very Happy

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:40 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Musically I hear no RW in the band.... definitely more of a watered-down Turisas sort of thing....who themselves are a watered down version of Ensiferum......not good....I kind of like the vocals once in a while but I really can't help but think it's the gimmick that sells them for the most part. Also, RW wasn't this gimmicky and goofy; everybody knows them for pirate themes, but in reality there were only 2 or maybe 3 songs like that per album, some albums had nothing about old piracy at all, and most of the lyrics in general were broadly historical or just good old heavy metal anthems about heavy metal. Certainly nothing like 'Nancy the Tavern Wench'.

This release has 17 reviews on the metal-archives, while Running Wild, who are *speed-metal-legends*, don't break 8 for any of their 13 studio albums. I'm willing to guess whatever it is that puts the kids off of RW is sufficiently awesome... like the fact that RW is epic, uncompromising, riff-filled heavy metal........ Cool

So I think we've demonstrated there shouldn't really be a comparison. This band is just another folk-ish power metal-ish thing. I don't necessarily mind the style, but their songwriting just doesn't do anything for me as of now.

I was only half-serious about the RW thing. While not super familiar with RW I know there is a vast difference between the two bands and realize the legendary status of Rock N' Rolf and company. I know your new here Orion, but you must understand that I know metal enough not to make a mistake in confusing the music of Alestorm and Running Wild. It was just a poor attempt at humor regarding the pirate image.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 12:38 pm

This CD is awesome. Truly original for what they are doing. Every song on the album is good!

There is also another band of "Pirate Metal" that I like a lot and that is Verbal Deception! Ever heard them?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Well i think the pirate metal thingy will make comparisons between alestorm and RW abundant. I think both are fun music although RW is good for repeated listens while Alestorm needs some time in between listens to be in the mood for it. I would much rather have RW though..

alex

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 5:37 pm

What's the significance of that pic in your sig Exact?

The King
exact33

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 6:18 pm

tohostudios wrote:
What's the significance of that pic in your sig Exact?

Bob Ross was a painter with a show on PBS a long time ago. He was hilarious painting a new scene each episode with his happy trees, cuddly clouds and all the rest of the stuff. Combined with the afro that took up most of the screen he was a hoot to watch...

Alex

Sponsored content

Alestorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alestorm   Alestorm Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alestorm
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next