Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your first exposure...

Go down 
+15
rattpoison
DeathCult
A Handful of Wayne
James B.
thejokeriv
Stender
DallasBlack
Shiney
kmorg
mc666
Chairman_Smith
Thrasher73
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
Tall Tyrion
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Your first exposure... Empty
PostSubject: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:28 am

What was your introduction to christian metal?

Indirectly, mine was "Soldiers Under Command" on a cassette compilation called "Slave to the Metal". But I wasn't aware until much later that Stryper were a christian band. If memory serves me correctly, it was the California Metal comp that "officially" got me into christian metal, and convinced me it was a true genre. I love that comp.

Your first exposure... California_Metal
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:39 am

Depends on how you define metal. My first Christian rock album was Barnabas - Hear the Light (1979), but although their later albums could be fairly defined as metal, that one was not, IMO.

First true metal would probably be Stryper's Yellow and Black Attack in 1983. That one was revolutionary to the scene.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:40 am

My first exposure to it was a dubbed copy of Stryper's SOLDIERS UNDER COMMAND that a friend made for me when I was about fifteen. I immediately went out and bought my own copy of that album (on vinyl!) and the YELLOW AND BLACK ATTACK (cassette) as soon as possible.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:41 am

dude, you still got that SUC on vinyl?!?!?!?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:41 am

T-Roy wrote:
dude, you still got that SUC on vinyl?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yup, I do... and no, you can't have it. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:45 am

Somehow I got into Stryper when I was REAL young. I remember my dad telling me not to play "To Hell With The Devil" too loud where the neighbors would hear.

I also recall listening to Holy Soldier's first album while taking a bath.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:47 am

spectrefate wrote:

Your first exposure... California_Metal

Great compilation. I still have it on cassette and I treat it with tender loving care cuz I doubt I will ever find it on CD. Laughing

Does anyone know if the Barren Cross song on here ("Deadlock") is from a demo or something? It doesn't sound quite the same as the version on ATOMIC ARENA. Just curious.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:53 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Great compilation. I still have it on cassette and I treat it with tender loving care cuz I doubt I will ever find it on CD. Laughing

Does anyone know if the Barren Cross song on here ("Deadlock") is from a demo or something? It doesn't sound quite the same as the version on ATOMIC ARENA. Just curious.

It definetely is a different mix than on the BC album.

But I just made a horribly large order on Radrockers last night and ordered the California Metal comp on CD for $10.00. It's probably a bootleg, but he says it was reissued for a limited time.

http://radrockers.com/Details.aspx?iid=5906

I figure even a boot would be worth $10.00.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:53 am

I remember seeing Stryper perform on the Dove awards one year.They played Makes me wanna sing,and I was hooked.I didnt know christians were playing the type music I loved.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:57 am

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

But I just made a horribly large order on Radrockers last night ......
DUDE, you are SOOOOO not getting lucky when she finds out!!!!!!!!! COUCH TIME!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:57 am

spectrefate wrote:

But I just made a horribly large order on Radrockers last night and ordered the California Metal comp on CD for $10.00. It's probably a bootleg, but he says it was reissued for a limited time.

http://radrockers.com/Details.aspx?iid=5906

I figure even a boot would be worth $10.00.

Hmmm, for that price it's gotta be a boot, but thanks for the tip. I might be tempted to spring for that one myself just so I can retire that poor old tape.

Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:59 am

I credit the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Soundtrack, great tracklist.

1. "DJ Lazlow Intro" - Various Artists
2. "You've Got Another Thing Comin''" - Judas Priest
3. "Too Young to Fall in Love" - Mötley Crüe
4. "Peace Sells" - Megadeth
5. "Dangerous Bastard" - Rockstar's Love Fist
6. "Turn Up The Radio" - Autograph
7. "DJ Lazlow Halftime" - Various Artists
8. "I Wanna Rock" - Twisted Sister
9. "Bark at the Moon" - Ozzy Osbourne
10. "Madhouse" - Anthrax
11. "2 Minutes to Midnight" - Iron Maiden
12. "Raining Blood" - Slayer
13. "Cumin' Atcha Live" - Tesla
14. "Yankee Rose" - David Lee Roth
15. "Working for the Weekend" - Loverboy
16. "Cum Feel the Noize" - Quiet Riot
17. "DJ Lazlow Outro" - Various Artists
18. "Exploder" - Various Artists
19. "Thor" - Various Artists
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 10:10 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:

...and all Christian. Good choice.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 10:11 am

lol! SNAP!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 10:13 am

spectrefate wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:

...and all Christian. Good choice.

insane
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:39 pm

My first exposure huh?!! Well, I was 13 and she......nevermind.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:50 pm

the first christian metal album i purchased, knowing that it was christian, was The Crucified's self titled album. the first christian metal album i bought, not knowing it was christian was Mortification's Scrolls.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My first exposure to it was a dubbed copy of Stryper's SOLDIERS UNDER COMMAND

Me too! My brother got it, but i played it! Prior to this though, I was already familiar with Jerusalem and Petra.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:55 pm

My buddy Waylon (He used to come around here but has not in ages!) was one of those kids that solely listene to Christian music (for a while....I led him astray eventually Laughing

He used to play me stuff all the time from STEVE TAYLOR and JERUSALEM to REZ and STRYKEN....and alot of it I would eventually graft into my monstrous tape collection....and stll have in cd form in that collection.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 2:05 pm

STEVE TAYLOR! He was wacky back in the day!! Him and Randy Stonehill!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 4:10 pm

My first introduction was when a friend of mine played me a little bit of Living Sacrifice. I liked it but it was over two years til I got Nonexistant from a Christian bookstore (had to special order it). I can't remember which was my first album but it was one of two:

1) I stole a tape of Mortification's s/t album from Wal-Mart (didn't find out they were Christian until after I read the tape insert).
2) Because my dad wouldn't let me listen to most death metal (the ones with the satanic or gory imagrey [sic]-which was just about all of them) I searched out for Christian death/brutal thrash metal and picked up Believer-Dimensions from Best Buy (you know, back in the day when BB used to carry a wide selection of metal). It was not what I was expecting but it grew on me.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 5:45 pm

I think the first true (there goes that term again) christian metal album I Bought was Living Sacrifice's Conceived in fire on a School jazz band trip when we stopped at a mall in salem, OR. I had owned loads of Poppy shlock metal like Norma Jean, Inhale Exhale, and Haste the day previously but LS was my first taste of what was going to a big part of my life down the road.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 5:54 pm

Stender wrote:
I think the first true (there goes that term again) christian metal album I Bought was Living Sacrifice's Conceived in fire on a School jazz band trip when we stopped at a mall in salem, OR. I had owned loads of Poppy shlock metal like Norma Jean, Inhale Exhale, and Haste the day previously but LS was my first taste of what was going to a big part of my life down the road.
🤘 🤘
"black seeds of DEATH, YEAAAHHHHH!!!!!"
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:18 pm

Yellow & Black Attack!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:35 pm

My first exposure was none other than "The Mean Green Machine" in about 86'

I had friends in other area bands (The Inland Empire) like Redeemer, Holy Rite, Isaiah Fox, Spectra, Town Cryer, and the original X-sinner. Then being involved in ministry I met folks in Delevance, Vengeance, Barren Cross, Neon Cross....you know all the Sanctuary bands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your first exposure...   Your first exposure... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your first exposure...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next