Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Angel?

Go down 
+3
SAHB Healer
ultmetal
tohostudios
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 2:16 pm

Every now and then there is a band that I've heard about, but never heard from (such as music). Angel would have to be one of them.

I'd like to get into them. So, to the Angel fans here, what albums/songs would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 3:42 pm

Ult will be all over this.

Personally my favorite is Sinful. But I like White Hot a lot too. But their best song IMO is "Tower" and that's on the S/T.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Their first album is considered their best by many fans. I would certainly agree that "Tower" is one of their greatest songs ever. However, I prefer "Helluva Band". Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. I'd suggest going with the Anthology and get a good idea of the band's whole catalog. It's a good collection and a decent overview of their catalog.

ult

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 6:58 pm

The first three. "On Earth as it is in Heaven" is impossive to find on CD though. Needs re-issue. I've been expecting BGO to re-issue it, but no go yet.
The one thing I don't like about them is that they never seemed to make up their mind whether they wanted to be silk or steel. As I've said before, the way they seemed to alternate saturday night party rock with serious prog/pomp songs has always grated on me for some reason. I think they would have been a better band if they had stuck with the "Tower" type songs. In fact the first thing I ever did when I got my first CD burner was to burn myself a CD with their proggier stuff on it only.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Androcles, I felt the same as you at one time and I found their Anthology (20 tracks) used for $5 over the summer. I spun it a few times over the next few days and couldn't have cared less. I wanted so much to love them cuz I had read glowing reviews at Ult's site and respect his opinion on music but it just wasn't there for me. Maybe I will revisit the disc again and see if anything sticks. I encourage you to see for yourself though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 10:52 pm

"Tower" Is a great track & the 1st lp/cd is where I woud start.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:16 am

The early stuff is more progressive, but they worked their way towards being more commercial and pop oriented by the time they finished. That's not to say that all of their material isn't awesome though, because it is. So far, my faves are the s/t one, White Hot and Sinful. Their latest album from 1999, In the Beginning, has a very Zeppelin flavor to it and is quite good also.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 3:20 am

1979's Sinful is a commercial masterpiece, IMO. I enjoy all 5 studio albums ('75-'79) very much. Perhaps 90+% of the time, I prefer a band's earliest works, but with ANGEL I just prefer the appeal of Sinful the most. Every song's a winner to me..."Bad Time," "I'll Bring The Whole World To Your Door," "Waited A Long Time," "Just Can't Take It," "L.A. Lady," etc. The first one I ever got was On Earth As It Is In Heaven, and it has 2 of my favorite songs on it..."She's A Mover" and "On The Rocks." Perhaps the anthology would be best, as it's difficult to pick one over another.

There's a few nice clips of ANGEL performing in the Jodie Foster "coming of age" movie entitled Foxes. They had a couple of songs on the soundtrack, too.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:45 pm

After reading this thead, and talking to Trog last night, I had to dig out ANGEL's first album for play today.

"Tower" is one of the greatest songs ever!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Quote :
"Tower" is one of the greatest songs ever!

Yep! I love the dynamics in that song. The verse is mellow, pretty much featuring just the vocals, then the chorus kicks in...

Administrator
ultmetal

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 9:37 pm

My favorite is "Helluva Band". I wish the CD version and the vinyl version were the same. I prefer the vinyl version.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 9:43 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Their first album is considered their best by many fans. I would certainly agree that "Tower" is one of their greatest songs ever. However, I prefer "Helluva Band". Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. I'd suggest going with the Anthology and get a good idea of the band's whole catalog. It's a good collection and a decent overview of their catalog.

ult

I agree tenfold with this, but I prefer their S/T best!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Angel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angel?   Angel? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Angel?
Page 1 of 1