Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?

Go down 
+11
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
DeathCult
the sentinel
White_Mage
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
MetalGuy71
Tall Tyrion
tohostudios
kmorg
DallasBlack
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Empty
PostSubject: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 3:49 am

Though this could be in the other category, I figure I'd ruffle fewer feathers posting it here. Europe seems to be hated by "true metal" fans, even those who like 80s cheese. I don't understand it. Personally, from what I've heard (a greatest hits album and Prisoners In Paridise) these guys knew how to write good catchy songs. The early material (judging from the greatest hits) could have been called power/progressive pop metal and I don't see how someone who likes 80s metal couldn't like it. I understand somewhat about their later material but it was still good music for that time period. The greatest hits album I have, 1982-1992, has a nice acoustic version of I'll Cry For You but the origional from Prisoners In Paradise is WAY better IMO. I will get more of their older albums in the future (and no, I am not embarassed to say so).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 10:30 am

Prisoners in Paradise is VERY underrated, if you ask me. The Final Countdown, on the other hand, can get all the flack given to it. Still, I really like Europe, and especially the early stuff.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 10:34 am

I like Europe. Always liked Joey Tempest's vox and John Norum's guitar work.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 3:41 pm

Never a fan. Too much high-pitched keys for my taste.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 6:21 pm

I recently picked up their s/t debut. I was in a dollar store and saw 2 copies sitting on the shelf. 2 cd's for $2 bucks? That's a bargain I just can't pass up. Kept one and sold the other on ebay for a tidy little profit. Anyway, about the music. I kinda dig it. From what I've heard, their earlier stuff is more "metal". Other than that, I'm really on familiar with the hits. I work in a sporting arena so if I never hear "The Final Countdown" again in my lifetime it will be too soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Great band, I love 'em and they can't do no wrong in my opinion,

Debut CD is a timeless classic in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:21 pm

The debut albums of both Europe and Night Ranger are quite heavy enough for me. I like them both a lot.
And I never listen to the radio, never got bombarded with Final Countdown day after day, so I kinda like that too. But if I didn't keep myself safe from the evils of classic rock radio, I'm sure I'd hate the song too.
If Rattpoisen sees this thread, he'll post a chapter of his forthcoming novel on the first Europe album. I think it's his favorite album of all time or something.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 9:38 pm

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/heart-of-metal-f1/europe-s-t-1983-underrated-metal-classic-t1580.htm?highlight=europe

I aint going to repeat myself but if you want my thoughts here they are.

You wanna know were todays fleet of faceless Euro Power Metal get their influence, look no further than Europe both the early heavy version and the hollywood cheese version (can't stand reprocessed cheese).

The original power metal and the best! Early Swedish steel from the heroic glory daze of Heavy Load, Oz, Overdrive, Torch etc.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Europe are a good band

I actully still like "Final Coutdown" but I also love a good chunk of cheese

all in all I'm a fan and theres nothing gay bout'em as far as i'm concerend

nightranger on the other hand........................................ :defleppard:

just kidding
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 9:15 pm

"Wings of Tomorrow" is a desert island take along album for me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 pm

the sentinel wrote:
"Wings of Tomorrow" is a desert island take along album for me. Very Happy

SCREAM OF ANGER!!!

What a heroic heavy metal gallop that song possesses.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 8:59 pm

The faggotry levels are rising...

They were ok for 80's cheese, but about as metal as Michael Jackson
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Check out the S/T debut album DC. One of the greatest heavy metal albums of the 80's. Totally begat all that euro power metal stuff nowdays.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 5:25 pm

I just gave this cassette a run through again. It's definately rock, but I still dont see it as metal, other than glam. Not too bad though.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 10:39 pm

DeathCult wrote:
I just gave this cassette a run through again. It's definately rock, but I still dont see it as metal, other than glam. Not too bad though.

What the self titled debut from 1983. Or another of their albums.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 10:58 pm

Their self-titled. I also checked out part of Prisoners In Paradise.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Tell me this aint heavy metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTOEyhfpg14&feature=related

Totally Yngwie style euro power metal from the early days, but stomps all over Yngwie.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 10:48 pm

All right ratt, I'll give it to you, they have metal tendencies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 11:10 pm

Europe is really a pop band in disguise. The only metal part about them is Jon Norum.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 12:15 am

Yeah but what a metal part, those icy gothic tones Norum produces makes me want to break down and cry and expose Yngwie for the imposter he is.

Plus ya gotta admit on that debut everyone in the band is on a metal mind.
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 1:20 am

Alot of people don't know that Europe originally started as a prog band, sorta like YES. However they changed to metal later on (kinda like Krokus, when you think about it). Joey Tempesta was also the keyboardist (and acoustic guitarist) as well as the vocalist in the begining, then they hired on a permanant keyboardist and went down the crapper although Final Countdown is quite catchy.

Ya know what? I don't care what people say. I LOVE keyboard-heavy metal! 🤘
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:05 am

An excellent band. They were not as good as Yngwie or M.S.G., but one of the better bands from the 80's. The early albums with John Norum on guitars kicked ass. Like with a lot of incredible bands, though, top 40 radio latched on to what was probably their most mediocre song, that annoying "The Final Countdown". Those who base their opinion of Europe on this silly, pop sounding tune need to listen to a Europe album. Then again, I'd rather have some quality key work on a metal album than this never alternative metal crap with the detuned guitars. Besides, what is wrong with a little keyboards in metal? UFO had keys, and kicked plenty of ass.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 8:19 am

I hate to admit this, but I like Europe's first two albums, the self titled and 'Wings of Tommorrow' good melodic metal with prog rock tendencies, but when I first heard them was the CD 'The Final Countdown' which is a really cheesy album, I rebought it a few years ago and it is still cheesy and lyrics are crap, but as far as the rest of discography alot of hidden gems that get ignored because of their image of being the Duran Durans of the pop metal movement.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm

When Final Countdown came out I so wanted to hate it. Tried and acted like I hated it. Yet still I bought it and couldn't resist it at all. I actually found a cd copy for a dollar at a library book sale and the guy taking the money heckled me about it. I still am on the lookout for their others.
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 12:29 am

jstate wrote:
When Final Countdown came out I so wanted to hate it. Tried and acted like I hated it. Yet still I bought it and couldn't resist it at all. I actually found a cd copy for a dollar at a library book sale and the guy taking the money heckled me about it. I still am on the lookout for their others.

Check on ebay. The Europe albums are getting hard to find, but just about anything, as far as albums, seems to pop up from time to time on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?   Europe:  Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Europe: Even Gayer Than The Night Ranger Topic?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: