Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Night Ranger-Somewhere In California

Go down 
+14
Troublezone
glassprison
NO-you!
jstate
Shawn Of Fire
mikeinfla
krokus
springozzy
ultmetal
Eyesore
Metal Misfit
Gilbert
Metallic Blaze
DallasBlack
18 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Empty
PostSubject: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 12:24 am

Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Nightranger_SomewhereInCalifornia

Anybody else got this? Great album of good ol' melodic hard rock. A little less heavy than Hole In The Sun, but they continue in the same guitar driven sound that began on that album.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:19 am

I didnt even realize those guys were still around. I used to have one of their albums years ago. I liked it.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 am

I am going to pick this one up when i am in Madrid.

Night Ranger have been missing from my collection for so many years.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 8:26 am

Very good album. Longtime NR fans should love it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Just score this album at Walmart for $10! Awesome.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:29 pm

It's on my short list.

Metal master
Metal master
springozzy

Number of posts : 866

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:39 pm

I have it. I like it very much
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:47 am

Yes, i also bought it when it came out. Best album since MAN IN MOTION from 1988. I dont mind albums like SEVEN but they only had a couple of good songs and SOMEWHERE IN CALIFORNIA have only good songs. A buy or die album for any NIGHT RANGER fans.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 2:56 pm

I enjoy it as well. Has the more classic sound. Wish Jeff Watson was still there but oh well. The "Extended Versions" that came out a few years ago is very good too (not to be confused with Live In Japan, both were recorded there but the Extended Versions is much better).
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Strong record...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 4:17 pm

A real grower of an album for me. I think some of that had to do with the fact I bought it the same day as Mr. Big's What If. That album blew me away, so anything next to it was going to seem weaker in comparison. After a few listens I started getting into it more. Also discovered it is a great road trip record.
Back to top Go down
NO-you!
Metal novice
Metal novice
NO-you!

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:35 am

Didn't even know about this one. "Hole In The Sun" was really good. I'll have to pick this up!
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Somewhere in California was a good album, and I think "Lay It On Me" is one of their best songs to date. I just got High Road and while there isn't really a standout single that matches the aforementioned one, the album as a whole is easily just as strong. There is some really good songwriting and musicianship here.

Night Ranger-Somewhere In California NightRanger_April_2_2014
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 8:48 pm

I was at a restaurant last night, and the waitress mentioned that she is the niece of the drummer Kelly Keaggy.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 12:47 am

They have a new one coming out and it continues in the same direction as the past couple of albums. I like it a lot. The text on the cover it a little weird though. It looks like something you could find on Microsoft Word's word art feature.

So far, this is my favorite song on Don't Let Up:

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 11:50 am

glassprison wrote:
They have a new one coming out and it continues in the same direction as the past couple of albums. I like it a lot. The text on the cover it a little weird though. It looks like something you could find on Microsoft Word's word art feature.

So far, this is my favorite song on Don't Let Up:

This is my favorite also of the four songs that have been recently released:

"Comfort Me" > "Truth" > "Somehow Someway" > "Don't Let Up"

I plan on seeing them, when they come to Sunfest in West Palm Beach in early May.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 11:58 am

Not bad but i'm getting tired of what I call the Frontiers sound. Makes bands like these kind of generic.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
i'm getting tired of what I call the Frontiers sound. Makes bands like these kind of generic.

Yeah, they do have a tendency to stamp'em out like McDonald's does cheeseburgers.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
i'm getting tired of what I call the Frontiers sound. Makes bands like these kind of generic.

Yeah, they do have a tendency to stamp'em out like McDonald's does cheeseburgers.

Yea, I can see that. Stable of writers, same production/engineering teams, handful of artists creating the covers. Cranking out albums like an auto production line.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I think NR writes most of the stuff, it's the production sound that gets tiresome.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I think NR writes most of the stuff, it's the production sound that gets tiresome.

I just mean in general terms. I haven't owned a Night Ranger album in, well, never actually. But I'm sure Frontiers keeps some song writers on speed-dial though if a band needs a little "inspiration".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 7:59 pm

When I saw them in Chicago on the tour stop that was filmed for the recent DVD release, they played "Day and Night" from this new album while they were in the middle of writing the song (i.e. they just made up some lyrics for the second verse on the spot). Jack Blades said that they will keep on writing new material as long as they are together so they don't get into a rut or something like that.

Even if they are not among my favorite bands, I have a lot of respect for them as musicians, songwriters, performers, etc.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 12:06 pm

^Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 11:01 am

Anyone get this? One listen and my initial impression is the first three songs are very good and it sort of lets off from there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Night Ranger-Somewhere In California   Night Ranger-Somewhere In California Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Night Ranger-Somewhere In California
Page 1 of 1