Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock

Go down 
+2
Shiney
Fat Freddy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Empty
PostSubject: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 8:46 am

http://gypsycarns.com/bio/

Anybody here familiar with this guy? I got a promo of his new album (THE WATCHMAN) to review for Detritus 'zine yesterday. Listened to it in the car on the way here this AM and though I am not particularly well versed in the Southern Rock genre I gotta say I liked what I heard. This guy can jam on the geetar! His voice isn't the greatest thing I've ever heard, but it suits the material. I guess I'd compare this to Molly Hatchet, Lynrd Skynrd, ZZ Top, etc. If a bunch of members of those bands got together and jammed out a Praise/Worship album, it might sound like this.

Apparently Gypsy has been in the music biz playing blues/rock since the early 60s but didn't devote himself to Christianity till the early 90s. The bio sheet I got with the CD sez this is his 8th (!) religious album. The lyrics are very bold, in your face, "end times" prophecy kinda stuff.

Thoughts?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 8:55 am

Love that "end times" sort of thing....I'm off to check it out...

FF ever hear the band 16 Horsepower....I have been championing them for years and years....they've been broken up for like 5 years now but heres a few links...

http://www.myspace.com/16horses

http://www.myspace.com/16horsepowersongs

http://www.myspace.com/deehorsepower

let me know what you think (and where the heck is my Pixies report!?!?!?! Very Happy )

my apologies for hijacking your thread a little..... Sad

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 9:07 am

Shiney wrote:
Love that "end times" sort of thing....I'm off to check it out...

FF ever hear the band 16 Horsepower....I have been championing them for years and years....they've been broken up for like 5 years now but heres a few links...

Nope, never heard of 16 Horsepower... as I mentioned, I'm not really knowledgeable (spelling?) about the Southern Rock kinda stuff...
And I never did check out the Pixies did I? Make you a deal, you check out Mr. Carns here and report back soon, and I'll check some Pixies action on YouTube if I get a minute. Cool? Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 9:13 am

deal....'cept I already checked out your Gypsy dude....musically it's killer....the vox will take some getting used too...definitely some boogi-ing down kinda stuff....

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 10:33 am

Im gonna check out both Gypsy Carns and 16 Horsepower. Sounds right up my alley.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 1:30 pm

Found an interesting article about Mr. Carns online (the bio sheet that came with the CD was pretty skimpy so I was looking for further info)... this guy's had quite a life... and in addition to his current role as a "Motorcycle ridin' Blues preacher," his "day job" is a corporate exec for Gibson Guitars!

http://www.bluesmatters.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=2080

By the way, Shiney, listened to a few of those 16 Horsepower tracks on their MySpace page... very well done, but not really my kinda thing... I need more "crunch" if you know what I mean...

Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 4:27 pm

I like this guy's style. I'm a sucker for anything bluesy. 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 9:47 pm

I have three of his CDs for trade if anyone is interested.

ult

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 3:14 am

Wow 16 Horsepower, you just keep coming up with right stuff Shiney. Their lost bands profile is a waiting!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 2:09 pm

I saw 16HP at least a half dozen times..what a ferocious live act.....David Eugene is one of the coolest peformers I have ever met...very humble and nice.

PostSubject: Re: Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock   Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gypsy Carns - Christian Biker/Southern/Blues Rock
Page 1 of 1