Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another Music Store Gone!!!!

Go down 
+6
mc666
GrandNational
nevermore
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
A Handful of Wayne
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Another Music Store Gone!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 8:53 pm

As if my day wasnt bad enough I had to come on line and find out this bad news....

Legendary independent record store Slipped Disc Records of Valley Stream, New York has reportedly lost its lease and is doing a store-wide liquidation.

Slipped Disc Records has been the top independent record store for heavy metal, hardcore, rock and alternative music in the New York area since 1982. The store was featured in the documentary "Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal" and "Headbanger's Ball".

The makers of "Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal" last year posted a gallery of Slipped Disc Records "in-store" archives, featuring photos of such artists as MEGADETH, SLAYER, EXODUS and DEATH ANGEL holding signing sessions at the record store.

Looks like now i'll have to get everything on ebay or amazon. I only found out about this store 7 years ago and its been open since the early 80's. Since I found out about it I would always go there once or twice a month on my way to band practices. Looks like now I wont be doing that. This really sucks.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 9:24 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 9:32 pm

That sucks. I've never been to the Slipped Disc store, but when I used to attend the NY/NJ KISS Convention every year during the 90s, their booth was always my first stop. They had all the best stuff, I could drop a year's pay at their booth in no time at all.

Didn't they have a pretty major fire at the store within the past year or so? I'm surprised that they even came back from that.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 10:17 pm

That sucks about the store.

But I did order a copy of your band's cd today, PRD.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 10:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
That sucks. I've never been to the Slipped Disc store, but when I used to attend the NY/NJ KISS Convention every year during the 90s, their booth was always my first stop. They had all the best stuff, I could drop a year's pay at their booth in no time at all.

Didn't they have a pretty major fire at the store within the past year or so? I'm surprised that they even came back from that.

Yea the store was awesome. I would spend hours there. Im actually gonna go there tomorrow and I guess take my bands cd out and hopefully buy some cds for the last time. That store didnt have a fire another one called Looney Tunes did. They recently re opened. It looks 100 times better but its not as good as it used to be. It never beat Slipped Disc though I would never leave empty handed.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 10:30 pm

nevermore wrote:
That sucks about the store.

But I did order a copy of your band's cd today, PRD.

Oh yeah? awesome whered you buy it from?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 11:16 pm

It's a sad reflection of the times. Most of the moms and pops shops I used to go to in LA no longer exist. I pass by those places and remember how many times I lost myself for hours going through cd bins and such. I predict by 2010, you will not find any place where you can go to physically get metal cd's.

I don't even remember the last time I went to a store to buy an album. I love the internet, but nothing beats holding an album in your hand before purchasing it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 11:47 pm

This is awful. I blame this all on Ipods!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 11:49 pm

meh, one store goes belly up, and another one comes along. that's capitalism.

7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 12:43 am

That really sucks about Slipped Disc. I only wish you were right mc666, but you're really not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 1:49 am

They're all going to be gone soon. It sucks because I think it'll force a lot of us to go digital, which I'm not too keen on doing.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 2:05 am

7thSecond wrote:
That really sucks about Slipped Disc. I only wish you were right mc666, but you're really not.
i've seen nothing that indicates i'm wrong. a new cd store just opened up not a quarter mile from my home. that's like 6 that i know of just in my city alone.

Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 7:51 am

mc666 wrote:
7thSecond wrote:
i've seen nothing that indicates i'm wrong. a new cd store just opened up not a quarter mile from my home. that's like 6 that i know of just in my city alone.

Better area for it. Its the same around where I live, they're all disappearing.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 7:55 am

Eyesore wrote:
They're all going to be gone soon. It sucks because I think it'll force a lot of us to go digital, which I'm not too keen on doing.

I already order mostly online anyways, but if everything goes digital, I will not support it. If my computer's harddrive blew up as of this moment, i'd at least be covered because all of my music is on my shelf, but it everything was digital i'd probably make a CD-R, but i'd be pretty screwed out of new music because my computer would be gone.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 9:55 am

defender_of_the_faith wrote:

I dont think Ipods are the problem. I own an Ipod, and I know im one of the very few that do this, but I still buy every single album for bands I listen to. Only reason why I have the Ipod is to make my life easier. Before the Ipod I would carry my cds around and the cases would get broken or my cd would get stuck in the cd player or something. Now I have 100 times more music with me in a compact little computer. So ipods helped me in a huge way. I'll still buy cds til the day they stop making them.

The real problem is illegal downloading. But I dont see that ever being stopped.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 11:10 am

With Ipods came the notion that it was ok to download and not purchase cds. Ipods and illegal downloading go hand and hand. What the ipod did was compound the fact that illegal downloading is ok, and it spread that message to the masses! growl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 2:02 pm

mc666 wrote:
7thSecond wrote:
I've seen nothing of the sort here around Boston. They're disappearing and none are popping up elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 2:07 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

That store didnt have a fire another one called Looney Tunes did. They recently re opened. It looks 100 times better but its not as good as it used to be. It never beat Slipped Disc though I would never leave empty handed.

Ahh, that's right, it was Looney Tunes. They used to have a pretty decent booth (though not as good as Slipped Disc's) @ those Kiss Expos too, guess I just got the two confused.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 2:10 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
defender_of_the_faith wrote:

I dont think Ipods are the problem. I own an Ipod, and I know im one of the very few that do this, but I still buy every single album for bands I listen to. Only reason why I have the Ipod is to make my life easier. Before the Ipod I would carry my cds around and the cases would get broken or my cd would get stuck in the cd player or something. Now I have 100 times more music with me in a compact little computer. So ipods helped me in a huge way. I'll still buy cds til the day they stop making them.

I'm with you 100 %. Every cd I own is on my ipod (the 80g one) and I do not have any downloaded music whatsoever. Totally convenient to carry your entire collection in your pocket. As for music stores, I have a great local one in B&D Records not too far from here. It blows away every other store as far as I'm concerned (although it's owned by an older couple and who knows what will happen to it once they decide to retire Question )
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 3:21 pm

RIP im english but even i have heard of that place
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 6:30 pm

[quote="007"]

I'm with you 100 %. Every cd I own is on my ipod (the 80g one) quote]

neener neener I have 160g ipod Another Music Store Gone!!!! 19976
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Another victim of you kids and your damn iPods....

http://www.bmgmusic.com/
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Never bought anything from BMG. I thought they were always a rip off.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 8:39 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Another victim of you kids and your damn iPods....

http://www.bmgmusic.com/

Well, damn. That explains a lot. I used to be a BMG member and when I just let my membership fade away I started getting junk mail from them every week telling me that they wanted me back and offering me all kinds of "deals" if I re-joined. A year or two ago, those mailings just stopped coming. Now I know why.

They seem to be trying to ferry everyone over to their "new" one-price-fits-all music membership club, YourMusic:

http://www.yourmusic.com/enroll/enroll_200608_incentive.html

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:18 pm

I got another store by me that might be closing as well, but he said hes been saying that for a long time. He also said he would just be moving to a warehouse so I guess that would be cool. He just marked everything down to 9.99 or less so thats not bad. I just wish I had some extra cash I wouldve bought tons of stuff just to finish off some collections.

PostSubject: Re: Another Music Store Gone!!!!   Another Music Store Gone!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Music Store Gone!!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next