Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?

Go down 
+19
metalmaniac122
Smindas
TheGooch
ghost
mc666
exact33
GrandNational
sovdat
Required Fields
Witchfinder
ultmetal
nevermore
candlemass
Lurideath
AchrisK
DallasBlack
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
T-Roy
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Empty
PostSubject: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm not a real harsh critique but one thing that personally is a major let down for me when I get an album is a short release all together. I have two examples that probably won't mean allot to most of you.

BECOMING THE ARCHETYPE - Terminate Damnation blew me away when I bought it this year. Terrific, tight musicianship, tons of atmosphere and emotion and feeling. 55 minutes of just a relentless progressive death metal experience that blew me away. Then, there new CD Physics of Fire shows up. Its a whopping 31 minutes long with about 5 minutes of fill including a almost 3 minute....so so, instrumental. So It really only has about 27 minutes of actual songs. I just think that sucks. It’s too darn short. And the music on POF is fantastic again, don't get me wrong, almost all the songs are around 3 minutes. Not to mention the catchiest song with the best hooks and riff is the very last song, which isn't even 3 minutes long?!?! I was just disappointed completely.

Next one
IMPENDING DOOM - Nailed. Dead. Risen. This is the best death metal I've heard to date. Granted, there's a ton I haven't heard but I love it, totally brutal, melts my face off, LOVE IT.........................11 songs.........34 minutes?! Oh and by the way, the last song shows a track length of 6 minutes, but it's a one minute blast in the beginning followed by over 4 minutes of complete recorded silence, and then with about 1 minute left....recorded bloopers that really weren't funny, just lame. So really its only 28 minutes. Way to short, the music is so awesome, so intense and you got a 27 minutes to enjoy!!! UGH! I'm bummed about that one. However, I will give this one a pass, since they are a very young band, still finding their way.

So, am I alone? Am I unrealistic in my expectations? It's obviously just a personal preference for me. But I'm curious about the rest of you.

Bottom line for me, if it's to be considered a truly GREAT piece it needs the right length to get 5 stars from me. 40-45 minutes at least is about right.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:28 pm

I felt this way about the latest WASP album, DOMINATOR. I don't have the CD handy right now but I think it clocks in at just over a half an hour (one track of which is merely a "reprise" of an earlier song). I thought that was kind of a ripoff.

On the other hand, I also hate when albums drone on for 75 minutes or more. I know that since the advent of the CD, bands can fit more material on them than they could on an LP or cassette, but it seems like some bands feel that they NEED to fill all that space simply BECAUSE they have 75 or 80 minutes to play with, whether or not they have enough good stuff to make a worthwhile listen all the way through. Type O Negative are famous for this.

Or maybe it's just my A.D.D. talking. My attention span tends to crap out pretty quickly... HEY! LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:41 pm

LMAO, yup, I totally agree on the other side. An hour of crappy metal is not the answer, its a fine line!!!! GOTTA GO RUN AROUND THE HOUSE A COUPLE TIMES NOW!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:56 pm

i need killers not fillers...to hell with cds,hehehe....back when jag panzer were the masters and releasing the "short" anthem generally hostile to fill the A side of the mighty vinyl.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Vendetta's Hate album (on of my top thrash albums of the year) is just 30 minutes long. Way too short.

Like my wife says often..."Size Matters".

"Now stop touching me."
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 5:16 pm

In the old days, lots of metal albums were only 7 or 8 real songs.

Melissa, Forbidden Evil, Mob Rules, etc. etc.

What's much more annoying to me is over-long albums with tons of filler. Like, I hate to say it, but CAGE.

Last edited by on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 5:18 pm

I too miss the days of 8 or 9 song albums. It left you wanting more.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 5:19 pm

If the music is high quality I like it to last as long as possible. However, that doesn't mean that if it is short I'm disappointed. If it is short but every song is good then I can overlook it however if there are only a few songs that are good and the album is short, I feel ripped off.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 5:38 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

What's much more annoying to me is over-long albums with tons of filler.

I agree. I hate putting in a CD and seeing the time come up as more than 45 minutes. 30-45 is a good album length.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Yeah! Deicide's "Once Upon the Cross" is way too short.
Slayer - Reign In Blood is also much too short!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:42 pm

"Reign In Blood" my be short, but it's a timeless classic! 🤘

Sometimes ya just gotta know when to end an LP regardless of the length, too much filler, or songs that just don't fit the landscape of the LP can ruin it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:57 pm

Dressed to Kill by KISS but it's a masterpiece
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 7:00 pm

I hate when albums are too long.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

What's much more annoying to me is over-long albums with tons of filler.

Yes, I am more in agreement with this than albums being too short.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 8:32 pm

I liked it when albums were only 10 songs long. There was far less crap on albums back then. All killer no filler!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 8:58 pm

Hmmm, I'm seriously being educated as I read all these. And I'm really starting to think you're all right. KILLER no FILLER! Makes sense. I guess VR-Human Sacrifice is pretty short, but one of my all-time favorites. Barren Cross - Rock for The King, same thing. Okay...I'll back down to 10 songs, 40 minutes, but I'm not budging a minute less! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 11:13 pm

I'll take an album that's great and only 35 minutes long or so over a decent one that's 55-75 minutes long any day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 11:38 pm

Reign in Blood is short for a reason.
There's far too many more important things, that do album great than how many minutes it lasts Smile
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 12:15 am

I personally think albums should be no longer than 45 minutes and no shorter than 30. I don't mind short albums, as long as the songs are killer. Most of the classic are in the half hour range. See Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 12:22 am

hehehehe....brocas helm's black death lasts 'round 28 minutes and it's in my top10 albums of all time....seeing them 2 weeks ago for 2nd time was great.....
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 12:25 am

nevermore wrote:
I hate when albums are too long.

I agree totally!! There is nothing worse than destroying great songs with fillers..

Alex

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 12:36 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I felt this way about the latest WASP album, DOMINATOR. I don't have the CD handy right now but I think it clocks in at just over a half an hour (one track of which is merely a "reprise" of an earlier song). I thought that was kind of a ripoff.
thats the same feeling i got from it... i liked what i heard, there just wasn't enough of it.

however...some bands only need 30 mins to obliterate your ass. Reign In Blood being the prime example.

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 1:09 am

I prefer albums with only 8 or 9 songs, definitely not more than 10. I also favor the 35-40 minute range, although 30-35 is good as well. Basically, like the old days of Combat, Metal Blade, Neat, etc. I also prefer song lengths of 3 to 4 minutes. Older bands like METALLICA and ANTHRAX could actually keep a song interesting beyond 5 minutes, but the average band can't.

Slayer's "Reign In Blood" was perfect, IMO. Just shy of 30 minutes, its 10 songs ripped with sheer ferocity like nothing has since. Even at less than 30 minutes, it still felt complete. It left you waiting with aniticipation until the next album. Their songs were 2-3 minute speedfests and it was cool like that. I have a couple of friends in the local NC band called Widow. Their first CD, "Midnight Strikes," released in 2003, was 8 songs at around the 30 minute mark. Unlike the brutality of Slayer, Widow are dual-melodic-guitar-driven traditional Metal. The overall feel in places reminds me of early Yngwie Malmsteen (Rising Force) or Silver Mountain. They keep my attention all the way through because their songs are great.

Also, if the older bands ever exceeded 45 minutes on an album, they usually kept your attention the whole way. Bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica and Anthrax regularly put out longer songs/records. But they seldom had any more than 1-2 songs of filler material, if that. Ever since the CD format became commonplace, I have despised the longer recordings. These days, you'll get a CD that has 13 or 14 tracks and only 1 or 2, maybe 3, songs that are really good. And as was mentioned, these days there's just so many things battling for our attention. No one really has time to devote an hour to an individual CD. Like many of you, when I was a teen in the 80's, I could sit and listen to an album and read the lyrics and thanks lists and just stare at the artwork in total satisfaction from beginning to end. Today, you just have to listen on the run, like when you're driving. It seems to be a different time and there's more going on.

Still, for me, keep it between 8-10 songs at around the 35-42 minute mark. If you plan on going over that, you better make sure that it's your band's version of "Master Of Puppets." lol
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 2:48 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

A colleague of me said the same about that album. I don’t feel that way, because the songs on it are all good. I don’t mind if it is short or long – it must be good with no (or not much fillers). What really annoys me are hidden tracks this is silly.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:32 am

Because I am a huge fan of orchestra flavored metal, when it comes to bands like Nightwish, Rhapsody Of Fire, Epica, After Forever, Saviour Machine, etc. I like the album to be over an hour. If it is more raw like Judas Priest, King Diamond, Dio, etc. then I tend to lean more towards shorter albums, like someone said, the real classic metal albums barely last 45-50 minutes let alone an hour. In the end it is not the length of an album that makes me like or dislike it, it is the quality of the music to my ears.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?   ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ALBUM TOO SHORT = LET DOWN?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next