Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?

Go down 
+10
candlemass
scottmitchell74
Chairman_Smith
mc666
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Tall Tyrion
Required Fields
Lurideath
fingers
14 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Empty
PostSubject: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 4:59 pm

Im not talking about just tuning your guitar or bass down to D from E I mean all the way down like 5 or 6 semitones from standard tuning. Whats ur opinion do you all agree about the hype 10 years ago that it made the riffs heavier and it was cooler. In my opinion it works for some bands like I heard rumours that the fellas from Strapping Young Lad do it and whether you like em or not they are heavy as Smurf but most of the time it fucks up the sound because the strings can go out of tune and these days you sound like a Limp Bizshit/KoRn wannabe band and the sound is horrible and you dont really sound heavy. But however Sepultura I think did it on their Roots album and that alkbum is 1 of the best albums they have done.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 5:13 pm

I don't have much of a prblem with downtuned guitars, my problem is with solid state amps and overprocessed amp sounds when the guitars are going through them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 8:29 pm

Tuning doesn't matter as long as the music is good, I think. A good song can overcome a lot that is desired.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 8:39 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Tuning doesn't matter as long as the music is good, I think.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 10:16 pm

I'm not against it, but if it becomes an excuse for not playing a good riff or learning to play well at all, then there is a problem.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 11:07 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I'm not against it, but if it becomes an excuse
for not playing a good riff or learning to play well at all, then there
is a problem.

BINGO! I think many bands use downtuning to make them sound heavy instead of writing good, heavy riffs.

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 11:11 pm

When downtuned riffs work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_aAmZlN4s

Hate them all you want, but that riff is heavy as hell! And it's a great song, too.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 11:23 pm

I should qualify that I don't dislike downtuned guitars. King's X are
an example of a band that I love that uses downtuned guitars.

ult

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 11:26 pm

Almost always lame, especially for fast songs when the notes in the riff become inaudible.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 12:25 am

meh, i don't care. tune however you want.

Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 8:38 am

One picture to rule them all...

Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? 1079313401_CWINDOWSDesktoptony
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 9:35 am

ultmetal wrote:
I should qualify that I don't dislike downtuned guitars. King's X are
an example of a band that I love that uses downtuned guitars.

ult

I am not refering to bands who downtune their guitars like 2 or 3 semitones I mean all the way down like MetallicA did with St Anger the E string was tuned down to A
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 9:40 am

If the song is good, it's good......

I view tuning and various forms of female augmentation about the same.....if the end result is beautiful I don't care how they got there (as long as they're reasonably safe!)
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 9:47 am

you guys are not getting the point Ive got nothing against bands who downtune their guitars. Kings X sound brilliant with downtuned guitars. In my opinion I think the songs on MetallicAs black album would sound better if they were tuned down like 1 and a half semitones thats how they played them on Woodstock 99 and it sounded better than the album tracks. The compositions Ive written on bass most of them are D tuned. Yes Tony Iommi Metal's respected heavy metal guitar god tuned his guitar like 2 tones down to give him relief since his fingers on his left hand were still sore from the accident and that worked as well. What Im refering to is downtuning guitars all the way down like tuning the E string from E to A. Exactly like MetallicA did on st anger and KoRn and Slipknob and Limp Bizshit do mostly. I think its ridiculous
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 1:19 pm

I get what you are saying Fingers. You are talking about severe down tuning, not just half a step or down from E to D.

I don't mind down tuning. It can be used an excuse for limited playing ability but it can also be used just as much to interpret the idea in your head to the sound you want to hear when you play.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
One picture to rule them all...

Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? 1079313401_CWINDOWSDesktoptony
........and through the darkness bind them! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 2:16 pm

i've been playing guitar for over 13 yrs and since i played in standard or just regular drop d tuning for a long time i decided to drop tune to get a more distinct sound. Dropping ur tuning to C or B isnt a bad thing if u can write a good song around it. Drop tuned guitars dont just give u a heavier sound they also make a lot of other techniques easy as well like Pinches and Hammer ons and Pull offs. Most recently i have been playing in Bebe tuning to get a different sound then what u hear now adays. Another awesome tuning is Db Gb Db gb bb db
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 6:37 pm

Depends - they work in Dream Theater, the aformentioned Rainbow In The Dark, etc. They don't very well with KISS (see Crazy Nights)
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 8:41 pm

Wrong thread, dude! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 12:05 am

I don't consider it "Nu-Metal" style, seeing as alot of great bands like Crowbar and Fear Factory use down-tuned guitars.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 12:19 am

mc666 wrote:
meh, i don't care. tune however you want.

MC666, I love your attitude. It's so care-free and relaxed.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 3:55 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Depends - they work in Dream Theater, the aformentioned Rainbow In The Dark, etc. They don't very well with KISS (see Crazy Nights)

lol!
wrong thread
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 4:57 pm

Down tuning is ok, but bands have to use it sparingly. I prefer standard tuning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?   Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats your opinion on downtuned guitars (nu Metal style)?
Page 1 of 1