Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

James LaBrie

Go down 
+3
mc666
Rex
DallasBlack
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 10:14 am

Any fans of, IMO, one of the best vocalists in metal? One of my favorite features of Dream Theater is LaBrie, in fact I probably wouldn't of been such a DT fan if he never became the vocalist. Not a knock against Dominici, but on WDADU, he sounded too much like a Geddy Lee clone (although in his new album he sounds more like a combination of Fish-ex Marillion and Trent Garder-Magellan, big improvement), also not a knock on Geddy Lee...anyway, off topic. I did used to hear, on live material, his voice break at a few points, over the years he has eliminated it through more training.

Even though I have no problem with DT showing off, I do believe that LaBrie should be utilized a bit more (on the new album it sounds like they are). I really enjoy his solo material (which for those who can't get past DT's wankery, might like as well). Mullmuzzler and even more so, Elements Of Persuasion are all time favorties of mine. For some reason I never got the second Mullmuzzler CD which I must rectify soon (don't know why I never got it, because of how much I like the first one. Next to Zak Stevens and Bruce, he is my favorite vocalist of all time.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 10:54 am

I recognize his talent for sure, but his NASALY delivery really turns me off at times and becomes a distraction.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 11:07 am

he's a perfect match for DT.

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 11:26 am

I think he's a sufficient singer for DT, but when Images and Words came out, I thought LaBrie was the weak link in that masterpiece. I was really hoping to hear Ray Alder start belting out "Pull Me Under".
Back to top Go down

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 1:49 pm

He's a great vocalist, but he does sometimes grate on me. I personally think Dominici is the better vocalist now. Check out his 03 albums. Killer stuff.
Back to top Go down

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 2:14 pm

only one thing deserves for both JLB and L.KIng, hehehehe.....
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 5:00 pm

His pitch is great but he lost his high range several years ago. I think he seriously injured his voice.
Back to top Go down

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 pm

only one track i like with JLB and not with DT. i like never fall in love again from his previous band winter rose.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:02 am

I think LaBrie is a great vocalist. I love his work in DT, the Mullmuzzer albums, but especially Elements of Persuasion.
Back to top Go down

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:13 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
His pitch is great but he lost his high range several years ago. I think he seriously injured his voice.
You think he lost it? I always felt like they're just too mainstream for that to be cool, you know. Who knows.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:31 am

the guy gets alot of grief for some reason. just read some of the Blabberbitch posts. he has a great voice & it fits the style of music they play. i don't think it's held them back any more than their compositions have.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 7:01 am

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
You think he lost it? I always felt like they're just too mainstream for that to be cool, you know. Who knows.

Yes.

Listen to the recent live DVDs when they do the old songs. He is still trying to make it happen but it sounds really bad.

I love high vocals but the tone he produces attempting them now makes me wish he would knock it off and just take it down an octave like so many aging metal singers do now. (Tate, Alder, Halford, etc.)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 8:24 am

mc666 wrote:
the guy gets alot of grief for some reason. just read some of the Blabberbitch posts. he has a great voice & it fits the style of music they play. i don't think it's held them back any more than their compositions have.

I agree with you on both points.

1) he has a great voice & it fits the style of music they play

2) i don't think it's held them back any more than their compositions have.

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 11:49 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Yes.

Listen to the recent live DVDs when they do the old songs. He is still trying to make it happen but it sounds really bad.

I love high vocals but the tone he produces attempting them now makes me wish he would knock it off and just take it down an octave like so many aging metal singers do now. (Tate, Alder, Halford, etc.)

He did indeed damage his throat at one point...he and his wife got wicked food poisoning and the incessant puking for days ruptured his vocal folds causing them to bleed & swell...he was almost let go from the band...

Nowadays, in the last couple years, he's come back around...I watched the Live At Budokan DVD on Sunday and he was amazing...his warm up's backstage were plenty high and strong too...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

James LaBrie Empty
PostSubject: Re: James LaBrie   James LaBrie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 am

LOve James Labrie and he fits them well but the thought of someone with more rasp singing always sounded interesting to me.

I also enjoyed James solo albums and Elements of Persuasion is an amazing album. Marco Sfogli is a Petrucci fan so there are tons of influences on his playing on the record as well..