Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

KIRK HAMMETT

Go down 
+11
Invader
caniplaywithmadness?
Olafsto
MetalGuy71
mc666
Fat Freddy
EvyMetal
TheGooch
DallasBlack
Troublezone
Mglaffas81
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 4:32 am

Ok, I am a huge, die-hard, Metallica fan. I am not going to rant on about my opinion on Kirk, and so on...there has been a lot of Kirk Bashing lately...so, without any hard feelings or bashing others opinion, I want your opinion. Technically, Musically, everything. Or whatever you feel is worth mentioning about about him.

PS: JUSTIFY your answers, please...or your opinion does nothing to me Very Happy

Thanks,

Gustav
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 7:04 am

I liked everything he did up to The Black Album but that was the begining of the end because he just seemed to stop trying after that relying on the FX pedals and dull boring nonmetal constructed soloing.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 7:07 am

Great guitarist no doubt about it. The man can shred or at least he could. His guitar solos on Load were lackluster at best, and from what I hear the last album was barren of any guitar solos (I disliked Load so much, I've never given Reload the time of day, and was thouroghly disgusted with Unforgiven II). I don't blame Kirk for sending Metallica down the toilet (as far as metal goes) the blame I put thouroghly on Lars and Hetfield, Kirk is just along for the ride.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 7:31 am

The man gets no respect in his own band. That was totally apparent in "Some Kind of Monster".
He can be a little one dimensional at times and people mistake that fault as his "style", but he is the reason why Metallica didn't go completely belly up in the 90's, IMO.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 7:47 am

i must say kirk probably has played some of the best metal solos of all time especially on kill em all
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 11:35 am

ah yes, but didnt dave mustaine write most of the solo's on kill 'em all ?
Back to top Go down

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 11:38 am

EvyMetal wrote:
ah yes, but didnt dave mustaine write most of the solo's on kill 'em all ?

Yep.

That is, if you believe Dave, which I personally do.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 11:41 am

Great guitarist, and the textbook definition of a "team player." He's overlooked, even in his own band.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 11:43 am

he's a good guitar player. that's the only opinion i have of him.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 11:51 am

Great guitarist, although I felt disappointed when Load came out and there were no shredding solos. That guy could play circles around most of the guitarists at the time, but because solos and guitar-wankery were out of style, he held back, either by his own accord or pressure from the James and/or Lars. And he has yet to regain that fire.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 12:24 pm

spectrefate wrote:
The man gets no respect in his own band. That was totally apparent in "Some Kind of Monster".
He can be a little one dimensional at times and people mistake that fault as his "style", but he is the reason why Metallica didn't go completely belly up in the 90's, IMO.

This sums up my opinion of him as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 12:46 pm

Great guitarist. And that's all that matters. If he's not your personal friend, nothing else should matter.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 1:22 pm

good guitarist. seems like a really nice guy. he loves his wah wah pedal a bit too much tho
Back to top Go down

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 3:36 pm

He's so chill. That guy seems like he's got no ego.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 3:44 pm

defender_of_the_faith wrote:

Lars has more than enough ego to go around for the entire band, so Kirk doesn't need one.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 3:54 pm

Good guitarist. But he shouldn't use so much wah-wah pedal.
Back to top Go down

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Invader wrote:
Why? That's his style. If he stopped, you'd say he sold out. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Invader wrote:

His style starting with The Black Album, before that he barely used it.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 5:01 pm

I like the first three and a half albums. That's all I got to say.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 5:02 pm

defender_of_the_faith wrote:

He's the Derek Smalls of Metallica. He's the peacekeeper.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 5:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Invader wrote:

I should have written that a little bit better.

In my opinion, wah-wah pedal just doesn't work in every song where he uses it, but at some songs it sounds really good. I just wish, that he would use it more sparingly. But then how would I know what those solos would have sounded without wah-wah pedal. Anyway that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 5:49 pm

If your asking me....He is a great guitarist but omg...The best solo he played...Dave wrote them...
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 8:43 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:
If your asking me....He is a great guitarist but omg...The best solo he played...Dave wrote them...

I will have to disagree with you there, buddy. I mean...Yes, Dave's writing was all over Kill 'em All, and some of Ride the Lightning. He wrote about eight solo's for Kill 'em All, all of which Kirk Hammett edited on, and added the first melodic solo on "the Four Horsemen". ...But he wrote nearly ALL the solo's on Ride the Lightning (Dave wrote the first version of the solo to the title track...I heard it...Kirk's Version, the one you hear on the album, blows it out of the water. From that point on, he gave us such killer, technically amazing, and/or just plaine beautiful/awesome solo's such as the second on Master of Puppets, One, Welcome Home (which is an underrated solo, in my opinion), ENter Sandman (admit it, that solo is KILLER!), the Unforgiven, Fade to Black...I could go on forever. ...Well, we do have different opinions, but that comment was way too wide.

Cheers,

Gustav
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 8:57 pm

A good guitarist. He works well with the band. Kirk and James styles compliment each other. They both evolve together and seem to always be on the same page musically and stylistically. Technically I think Kirk is very competent. His solos seem to be more and more controlled with each album. I like his more erratic and spontaneous playing on the first three albums.
Back to top Go down

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 3:34 pm

I hear he had an abusive childhood.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

KIRK HAMMETT Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIRK HAMMETT   KIRK HAMMETT Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KIRK HAMMETT
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next