Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For the Guitar players - a string question

Go down 
+8
akeldama
caniplaywithmadness?
TheGooch
Chairman_Smith
MetalRob331
EvyMetal
Lurideath
scottmitchell74
12 posters
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

For the Guitar players - a string question Empty
PostSubject: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 2:33 pm

I'm asking for strings for Christmas (among other things) and I'm looking to try some different ones. I currently use Blue Steel 9-42 and I was wondering what folks here use and why?

What about heavier guages? Thanks for helping!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 3:30 pm

I personally have never been a Dean Markley fan. When I was learning guitar in the 80's I would constantly break DM strings. Maybe they are better made now.

I think you have a good guage currently. I use 9's as well. But then that all depends on what kind of music you play. I play alot of different stuff so I prefer the 9's as they are thick and tough. I have used Fender strings since the early 90's and they have always sounded good on my guitars.

For the Guitar players - a string question Juststrings_1973_187206592

From my cheap Peavy Predator to my former Kramer Baretta and now my economical Ibanex GSA-60, Fender strings have always worked great for me.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 4:09 pm

I am not a guitarist but I can tell you that everyone I know that has tried the DR Black Beauties really like them. Plus they just look cool on top of that!!!
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 4:43 pm

i use DR bass strings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 9:53 pm

I tired Blue Steel (With the cool sticker in who doesn't stick on my wall...) they were really good I play really often and they broke after 1 month (Good I think). Before I was using Fender Strings (Exactly the same thing as spectrefate) but they suck. They broke after 2 weeks. Now I'm using Kerly Kues strings...They are suposed to be good. I'll tell you when they'll break Very Happy ! Next time I'm gonna buy Elixir strings I heard that they were top quality strings...! 🤘

For the Guitar players - a string question Kues
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 11:20 pm

Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna go for the potpourri and see what I like the most! I'll try some of everyone's suggestion. It's not my dime! HA!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 4:53 am

I use GHS Boomers on my Ibanez (11 guage) I play mostly metal and these strings just sound so great.. Besides they're only 4.99 as well...
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 5:42 am

Get some G strings!!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 5:43 am

I use Ernie Ball btw

For the Guitar players - a string question Eg4
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 10:13 am

what does a gauge mean in strings? i should know i have a guitar but i only play for fun.

actually i broke the e string but it took me about ten and a half months to do but i have no idea how to change te strings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 4:22 pm

TheGooch wrote:
what does a gauge mean in strings? i should know i have a guitar but i only play for fun.

actually i broke the e string but it took me about ten and a half months to do but i have no idea how to change te strings

You can bring your guitare to a music stores they will do it for you. You can also ask them to teach you how to change them.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 5:26 pm

use the heaviest string you can find, preferably at least .14

it give you a much fuller fatter tone rather than a thin jangly one

heavy strings on a les paul and you can't really go wrong
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 1:03 pm

Thanks guys! My list is going to be a little of everything you suggested. That way I won't be guessing...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 8:05 pm

I like the GHS Boomers as well, good sounding strings that don't cost much.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2007 7:21 am

caniplaywithmadness? wrote:
use the heaviest string you can find, preferably at least .14

it give you a much fuller fatter tone rather than a thin jangly one

heavy strings on a les paul and you can't really go wrong

sweet i just got mine restrung. it sounded like a friggin banjo now the strings are a year old
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 8:31 pm

can anyone tell me how to lower the action on a epi thunderbird bass. or do i need to take it to a music shop
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 pm

I use Ernie Ball. On my Strat I've got 13's, they hold up really well while playing the blues.
I've got a custom guitar made by a friend of mine, very sleek and fast for metal,rock,etc. and I use 10's on that. For my acoustics I use Martin extra lights.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 2:32 am

There are many factors:
What type of guitar?
What style music do you play?
Do you play in standard tuning or de-tune?
etc.

I've been using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (.10 is the thinnest string) since around 1995. I usually de-tune (hence my username) to at least "D", but sometimes lower. Regular Slinky's can take the abuse of re-tuning without losing their sound and they very rarely break.

I tried using a heavier gauge at one point but they won't fit through the locking nut on my guitar.

On my "jazz guitar" (cheap 335 copy) I use heavier gauge strings, (.013).
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 3:25 am

My band tunes down to D and me and my other guitarist both use ernie ball 52-10.
thick top, slinky bottom.

excellent for heavy rhythm work and awesome for solos and lead work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 3:48 am

INVADERS wrote:
My band tunes down to D and me and my other guitarist both use ernie ball 52-10.
thick top, slinky bottom.

excellent for heavy rhythm work and awesome for solos and lead work.

Those are the "hybrid slinky's", right? I tried them, but like I mentioned the thicker low E string won't fit through the nut on my guitar.

I love Ernie Ball strings though, they can take just about any abuse you throw at them.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 9:01 pm

I use GHS Bass Boomers. I really need to change them.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 2:00 am

I am currently using GHS's, I beileve the low e is .52
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
sonofthunder
Metal novice
Metal novice
sonofthunder

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 11:31 am

I'm using "Galli strings" (made in Italy)
not good for bending.

Sad I have no choice, they are the only ones in the algerian market angry .
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metallictakfarinas
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For the Guitar players - a string question   For the Guitar players - a string question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For the Guitar players - a string question
Page 1 of 1