Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Two Bastards

Go down 
+9
SAHB Healer
TheGooch
mc666
DallasBlack
Required Fields
scottmitchell74
T-Roy
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Two Bastards (Metalcore or Nu Metal)?
metalcore
The Two Bastards Vote_lcap40%The Two Bastards Vote_rcap
 40% [ 8 ]
nu metal
The Two Bastards Vote_lcap15%The Two Bastards Vote_rcap
 15% [ 3 ]
both about the same
The Two Bastards Vote_lcap45%The Two Bastards Vote_rcap
 45% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 8:33 am

Okay - as we all know, metal has two 'well known' bastard sons. Metalcore and Nu Metal.

Both are an adulterated metal - one of them is mixed with some rap and alternative (nu metal) and one of them is mixed with abrasive 90s hardcore (metalcore).

Most of us (myself included) don't prefer these two forms of metal, but some of us like 'some' of them.

What would you pick out of these two genres? If you don't like either, vote for the lesser of the two evils.

I personally have come to like and appreciate some nu metal. Disturbed and Korn are a few examples. Metalcore on the other hand ... I really don't get into. Though I like some bands with some influences (Shadows Fall, Skeletonwitch, etc).

How about you? VOTE! I'm curious to see which bastard will win this thing.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:00 am

Don't really care about either one, so I guess that's "about the same"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:00 am

I went with metalcore.I like hardcore and metal,so combining the two is fine.Some bands that people label metalcore that I like:
Shadows Fall
Unearth
Avenged Sevenfold
Machine Head
Trivium
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:22 am

Bastards!? Adulterated?! Somebody needs a hug!

There's some really great metalcore out there that even an old-skool thrasher like me digs.

August Burns Red
As I Lay Dying
Becoming The Archetype (smokes over any style)

HATE DISTURBED, GODSMACK, KORN, TOOL......Just totally weak and lame musicianship.

How many "I hate metalcore/nu-metal" threads does that make this month!?!? lol!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:26 am

Forgot about As I Lay Dying.The new one has alot of Thrash influence in it.Best Release by them so far
Back to top Go down

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:26 am

T-Roy wrote:
Bastards!? Adulterated?! Somebody needs a hug!

There's some really great metalcore out there that even an old-skool thrasher like me digs.

August Burns Red
As I Lay Dying
Becoming The Archetype (smokes over any style)

HATE DISTURBED, GODSMACK, KORN, TOOL......Just totally weak and lame musicianship.

How many "I hate metalcore/nu-metal" threads does that make this month!?!? lol!

Laughing very hard

I'm just having fun man. It's not to be taken too seriously ya know?

affraid
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:27 am

SICK ART TOO, on all there stuff Thrasher.

Last edited by on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:27 am

Poor Metalcore, can't catch a break on this site, LMAO!
Back to top Go down

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:29 am

T-Roy wrote:
Poor Metalcore, can't catch a break on this site, LMAO!

Actually it's doing better than Nu Metal in this poll. I'm probably in the minority in that I prefer Nu over Core.

The Two Bastards 927150
Back to top Go down

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:31 am

Here is my outlook on it:

Metal = A Mastodon

Hardcore = An Elephant

Rap = A Porcupine

I can see a Mastadon and an Elephant together.
A Mastodon and a Porcupine, don't mix well at all. In fact it could be painful for the Mastodon.

This has been today's creepy analogy presented by spectrefate. Thanks for stopping by.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:32 am

Yeah, true! I know Eyesore is very balanced in his tastes. He likes some nu-metal too, if memory serves. I don't really care for any that I can think of, just no brutality to it. However, I must admit, I've always loved Rage Against The Machines, but that’s Rapcore I guess.
Back to top Go down

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:34 am

spectrefate wrote:

Metal = A Mastodon

Hardcore = An Elephant

Rap = A Porcupine

A Mastodon and a Porcupine, don't mix well at all. In fact it could be painful for the Mastodon.

This has been today's creepy analogy presented by spectrefate. Thanks for stopping by.

Spectre, I agree about the rap not mixing well. That's why I don't particularly like the nu metal stuff that's real rap-oriented. I do however like some of the more 'alternative' based nu metal. Disturbed type of stuff. They have no rap at all - it's basically alternative metal.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 9:34 am

spectrefate wrote:

Metal = A Mastodon

Hardcore = An Elephant

Rap = A Porcupine

Laughing very hard I feel.....violated....and confused.....and.......scared outta my !@##$! mind, all at the same time right now! lol!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 10:52 am

Idon't even know what the difference is!!

But the new As I Lay Dying is good and does have some Thrash elements...
Back to top Go down

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 10:58 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Idon't even know what the difference is!!

But the new As I Lay Dying is good and does have some Thrash elements...

Nu Metal = metal mixed with alternative and sometimes rap. It's more melodic, commercial and easy to understand the lyrics. Disturbed and Korn are two examples.

Metalcore = Extreme metal much like black or death, only mixed with hardcore (not 80s hardcore - that's crossover - but 90s extreme hardcore - the screamo stuff). This stuff is almost impossible to understand the lyrics at all.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 11:04 am

Ah, that's easy enough. Gotcha! Thanks...

Well then, I like Metalcore much more, then.....

Last edited by on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 11:04 am

It's all noise pollution. Bring back Naked RayGun!!!
Back to top Go down

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 11:08 am

I have a new name for metalcore (ult gave me this idea in a thread about Lamb of God).

Pipsqueak Metal.

LOL ROFL

That's what I'm calling it from now on.

I might be the only one here who votes for nu metal - but I don't care.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 11:18 am

blackieboy wrote:
I have a new name for metalcore (ult gave me this idea in a thread about Lamb of God).

Pipsqueak Metal.

LOL ROFL

That's what I'm calling it from now on.

I might be the only one here who votes for nu metal - but I don't care.
WHY I OUTTA....angryangry

THANKS A LOT ULT! PUNK! :kickbutt:
Back to top Go down

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 11:53 am

I chose metalcore, mainly because boring metalcore bands make boring nu-metal bands look brilliant. Plus, nu-metal is one of those catch-all genres where you can have Korn and Disturbed labeled as such, yet their styles are night and day. Nu-metal has lost its identity.

Either way, my metalcore section has only 33 CDs in it, and about 10 are up for trade. I have far more albums considered nu-metal, and none are up for trade.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 11:59 am

I voted metalcore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 12:26 pm

I went with nu-metal for one particular reason. Metalcore bands are very monotonous, there is very little variety and the songs tend to run together. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between one song and the other. Metalcore that I do listen to is limited to Demon Hunter, old Showdown, and Living Sacrifice (not to mention the hybrids like Shadows Fall, Trivium, and As I Lay Dying). Nu metal on the other hand has some song structure which gives variety to the music.

The only nu metal band I like that is rap oriented is P.O.D.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 1:12 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Yeah, true! I know Eyesore is very balanced in his tastes. He likes some nu-metal too, if memory serves. I don't really care for any that I can think of, just no brutality to it. However, I must admit, I've always loved Rage Against The Machines, but that’s Rapcore I guess.

I dont think you can use Eyesore and balanced in the same sentence:lol!:
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 1:19 pm

RIGHT, not chemically for sure! lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 1:21 pm

either one is ok. i like several bands in both genres. if i like a band, i don't care what catagory it falls under.

Sponsored content

The Two Bastards Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Two Bastards   The Two Bastards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Two Bastards
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next