Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Death Metal vocals...BORING?

Go down 
+18
Olafsto
TH Joe
iamrockerfun
journeyman
arttieTHE1manparty
Required Fields
SAHB Healer
Lurideath
mc666
Smindas
AchrisK
scottmitchell74
Thrasher73
SideShowDisaSter
Follower of Jesus
sovdat
ultmetal
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 11:46 pm

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:
I have ALWAYS felt that way about 95% of death vocals...and 99% of all black metal vocals are irritatingl!

ARttie

Out of interest, who are the exceptions for you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2007 12:35 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I have always hoped it was just a phase. I do like many of the albums; but it's in spite of the vocals. I think that style has compromised a lot of otherwise great music, to some degree. I hope the Cookie Monster retires someday.
why do you hope that? if you don't like it, or it bores you, just don't listen to it. it's as simple as that. why would you want to take it away from those who enjoy it?

and if death metal is such a problem for everyone, why not just delete the thread about death metal songs, which i'm sure is what brought this on, & move on, since the majority here are anti-death metal.

death fans are used to being underground.

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2007 1:01 am

I'm the opposite. Coming from that 80s rock/metal background, I hated death metal. But in 2000, when I was in Korea, I started experimenting with my purchases, because there was some really cool metal shops over there and I had the extra cash. So I started picking up bands like Dark Tranquillity and In Flames; and surprisingly I loved it. It's only grown from there. Now I really dig some pretty heavy bands.

I'm still not a fan of traditional death metal—that extremely fast crap with no dynamics; and those horrible, mumble-grumble vocals do nothing for me. I need some sort of hook, whether vocally or musically.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2007 2:00 am

Psycroptic, Disavowed, and Necrophagist are killer bands. I like all the of their vocals! These are examples of them done right.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2007 4:38 pm

my only words are

SIX FEET UNDER & Cannibal Corpse :x

nothing more.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2007 1:16 am

Death growls are awesome. Can't take 'em for very long, though.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 2:37 pm

Never got into death metal, mainly because of the vocals.
Have to agree with MC666 though! I don`t have to listen to it!!!
It`s kind of a relief not to like all sorts of metal, already spend way to much money on all the metal i do like ha ha!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 3:12 pm

All Cannibal corpse songs sound the same to me, maybe I'm jsut being biased. I do like growling(death vocals w/e ) done by opeth, arch enemy, COB, in flames and some random bands.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 3:14 pm

I never got into death metal vocals at all. My brother was the big D.M. fan in our family (and he still is to this day), so it's not like I didn't have plenty of opportunities to get used to them, but I prefer to hear vocalists who can sing as opposed to grunting "arrgle barrgle farrrrgle snarrrrgle."

I still remember the day my brother brought home his first death metal album, Possessed's SEVEN CHURCHES (on vinyl) wayyyy back in 1985... he put that thing on our turntable and as soon as I heard that singer I was like "Um, check please..." 20-something years later I haven't heard a D.M. vocalist yet that has made me change that stance.

That's not to say that some death metal bands aren't great musically. I've seen quite a few of them live over the years and enjoyed them in the live setting (Morbid Angel and Obituary were two of the best) but to simply put one of their CDs in my player at home... naaaahh. There's just something about being there live and in person, I guess?
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2007 6:26 am

ultmetal wrote:
In the last few years I've grown tired and bored with death metal vocals. It seems any new band/music I hear with death metal vox just does nothing for me. It's the same old, same old. Back in the early 90's when that sort of thing was fresh, it was a blast, but now it's just commonplace. Anyone else feeling like this?

very much so, couldnt have said it better myself.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 12:37 pm

Vocals with melody are multi-dimensional and add a lot more to the music, even if the melody line is pretty simple. Monotone vocals require really great, dynamic music to make it interesting, and most extreme bands are incapable of writing it IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death Metal vocals...BORING?   Death Metal vocals...BORING? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death Metal vocals...BORING?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2