Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I just got into KISS. . .

Go down 
+5
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
KissinMaiden
Metal Misfit
juanmiguel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

Number of posts : 147

I just got into KISS. . . Empty
PostSubject: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 11:10 pm

I went old school and bought sabbath's heaven and hell and kiss' destroyer a week ago. the latter really blew me away. its my first musical taste of the band (though i always knew who they were) and i really loved it.

so for all the kiss diehards out there, if i wanna get into the kissteria, which album/dvd do i listen to after destroyer?
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 11:55 pm

While I enjoy all (yes, ALL) of their albums, I'm just gonna cut it down to what I feel are the essentials must haves:

70s (start here!):
self-titled
Dressed to Kill
Rock and Roll Over
Love Gun
Alive

80s:
Creatures of the Night
Lick It Up
Music From the Elder (a strange concept album that didn't sound like KISS and bombed upon release with sales and critics, but it has since become hugely popular amongst KISS fans)

90s:
Revenge

If you become a KISS freak and completist, definitely pick up the rest, I wouldn't say they have a single "bad" album. There's more than enough songs on every release to make it worth the buy. I also recommend picking up the Paul Stanley & Ace Frehley albums that were released under the KISS banner-- Ace is great hard rock and Paul is great rock/pop.

For now though, as not to sway your opinion of the band, I'd say stay away from Dynasty, Unmasked, and Carnival of Souls, as they really do not represent the band too well (disco/pop rock & alternative metal didn't fit them).

As far as DVDs go, you'd probably do good to check out their Kissologies, but that may be too much too soon for someone who is just getting into them. The Rock the Nation & Symphony DVDs that came out in the last few years are great concerts though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 12:46 am

See the Kiss forum.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 12:55 am

Eyesore wrote:
See the Kiss forum.

lol! lol!

Start with the 70's material, and if you can like the "disco" era try the 80's hair era and then the 90's grunge era!!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 8:28 am

Their best album as a sampler:
KISS - Alive!

After that you can't go wrong with any of their 70's albums:

Kiss
Dressed to Kill
Hotter than Hell
Rock and Roll Over
Love Gun
Alive II

80:
Creatures of the Night
Lick It Up
Asylum
Animalize

DVDs:
Kiss - Kissology - Vol.. 1 (1974 - 1977)

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 8:49 am

The next Kiss album that I'd recommend you buy (and then listen to) is Creatures of the Night, which is my favorite Kiss LP and arguably their hardest rocking release up until that point (1982). Standout selections on it, for me, include the title track ("Creatures of the Night"), "I Love it Loud," and "War Machine," though really every song on the album is worthwhile.

And if you liked the Destroyer ballad "Beth," then I might also recommend Peter Criss's solo album to you, in which many songs are reminiscent of that track, even though that record was a rather drastic depature from the more standard Kiss fare at the time, with songs that exhibited influences from disco, 50s rock 'n roll, and commercial radio-friendly ballads.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:01 pm

Ugh! Please don't start off a KISS collection with any Peter Criss solo album. Even the most die-hard of KISS fans, myself included, do not find much to enjoy about Criss' solo stuff.

Last edited by on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:08 pm

It seems like the other guys have handled the suggestions pretty well so I'll just say "Welcome to the KISS Army" 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 3:18 pm

WE ARE PROUD MEMBERS OF

I just got into KISS. . . Kiss-army

WE SALUTE TO
I just got into KISS. . . A-W_kiss_001

We Love KiSS, we want KiSS, we buy KiSS, we are living with KiSS, we die with KiSS, we fight for KiSS, we are KiSS family, we cry for KiSS, ...

K i S S is just Diagnose !
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 3:43 pm

I'm in the KISS Army Reserve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 4:24 pm

70s:
-KISS
-Dressed To Kill
-Alive! (If you want you can buy Alive! 1975-2000. All the Alive are in plus a concert from '00)
-Rock And Roll Over
-Love Gun
-Ace Frehley
-Paul Stanley

80s:
-Unmasked (If you really love the band like me)
-(Music From) The Elder (Same. It's really different but good)
-Killer (Compilation with 4 new songs)
-Creatures Of The Night (The Heaviest)
-Lick It Up

90s:
-Revenge
-Unplugged

DVDs:

KISSology Vol.1,2 (the Vol.3 is coming out on december 18th)
KISS : X-treme close-up/Konfidential (I think you can have them on the same DVD)

Don't buy KISS Symphony and Rock The Nation Live!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 4:29 pm

I happen to really like PETER CRISS solo stuff.....

Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 11:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm in the KISS Army Reserve.

lol! lol! lol! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 11:24 pm

I just got into KISS. . . Kisskiss1

I just got into KISS. . . B000001EL5.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_

I just got into KISS. . . B00000AF98.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_

I think I might be the only guy to like Crazy Nights
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 12:58 am

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:

I think I might be the only guy to like Crazy Nights
No way, dude. I admit, when I first heard it, I was disappointed, but it's solid stuff. 'No No No' is a great tune!
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 6:12 am

i might ask for some kiss albums for christmas as i like kiss but have no albums of theirs
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 10:58 am

TheGooch wrote:
i might ask for some kiss albums for christmas as i like kiss but have no albums of theirs

recomended albums for you are visible up pirat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 11:05 am

My favorites are the 80's albums. I think its because of my age. I think KISS were a great live act in the seventies. Second only to the Coop', but the music was pretty average for most of the 70's albums. (this is just my opinion!)

Creatures of the Night, Animalize, Asylum. Those are my personal favorites.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 4:06 pm

Confirmed Aussie show in 2008 March 16th !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I just got into KISS. . .   I just got into KISS. . . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I just got into KISS. . .
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: