Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you beleive in ghosts?

Go down 
+10
MetalGuy71
Tall Tyrion
thejokeriv
DallasBlack
SAHB Healer
Fat Freddy
mc666
iamrockerfun
Smindas
mez
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

Do you beleive in ghosts? Empty
PostSubject: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 2:51 pm

OK so I missed the mark on putting this out around Halloween and I know it is over but seriously, I am putting myself out here on the web on an issue that is truly plaguing me.

I am a Christian and I was born and raised to beileve only in Angels and Demons for any sort of paranormal activity. I dont know the bible perfectly to even know if this is touched upon. Anyhow about 2 years ago I seen a show on TV that is called Ghost Hunters and it made me begin to wonder what they really are catching on film, provided it is a legit show (seems to be).

OK so here is the setting, 2 years ago my sister-in-law died. My son was 3 at the time and didnt get to see her at the funeral and whatnot for obvious reasons. This past Saturday, he began to tell me that he hears his Aunt (sister-in-law who died) talking to his Grandma all the time but when he is over there and walks in she will disappear. So I asked him if he sees her and he said only if he is peeking and she doesnt see him. She talks about heaven and how wonderful it is and she is happy.

So with the major questions like, "What does she say" and "Are you teasing or serious?" "Are you scared?", he was stern in his standing this happens. So I asked him what she wears, and he said "the same thing all the time, it is a green outfit". Well of course my wife and I was extremely shocked because she was burried in her favorite outfit, which happened to be green.

I just want any form of concrete responce on this matter, anything biblical that I can refer to, should I be concerned about this? I really dont know where to turn for answers on this, but it has bothered me since yesterday.

I know this is so off the wall a subject but please give me anything you may have to offer for peace of mind on the matter.

Thanks,

Aaron
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 3:10 pm

We had a Ghost Hunters thread going a while back. As for what to believe, I couldn't tell you. I'd say it's a mistake to not believe in the possibility, but also a mistake to believe in it as fact. If that makes sense.

I am not a Christian, nor religious in any way, so I can't comment on anything Biblical. Sorry.

A five-year-old kid doesn't seem like one to make up a lie on something like this. Kid's have wild imaginations, though, so when discussing these things with your son I'd avoid leading him to the answers. Don't asking him things "Does she disappear when she sees you?" Instead ask vague questions like, "What happens?" If your son voluntarily says things like she disappears when she sees him and whatnot, then that seems concurrent with what other people report, and you've not lead him to that answer. You may have already done this, but it's definitely something to think about.

When I was born, I had bright blue eyes. That's not odd to have blue eyes when you're born. My grandmother had cancer at the time and she was apparently saddened that I had blue eyes. Before she died, she wanted a grandkid that had green eyes like her. She died when I was nearly three years old. I still had blue eyes. There are pictures of me with bright, bright blue eyes. I mean really bright. The color that everyone notices on someone.

Anyway, as my mother tells it, the day after my grandmother passed away, she woke me and when I opened my eyes, they were green. She said her heart stopped for a second because she thought I wasn't her kid! Haha. Now, I know babies eyes can change color, but not at nearly three years old, and not overnight. More than one person tells this tale, as they all knew the color of my eyes. So...did my grandmother finally have a grandkid with green eyes? Seems kind of messed up that she'd steal my eyes! Haha. But that's how the story goes. It's always made me believe, as strange a story it is.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 3:15 pm

Thank you so much for your input, and even though I requested anything biblical, it doesnt exclude anyone from this thread. I am looking for answers, and it doesnt me chirtian only. I am obviously concerned and regardless of belief, I feel we here are all a community that seems to respect each other, so I look for any responce regardless of beleif.

As far as asking questions, your very right, I havent asked him with answers, he has given the answer to everyone on his own with no leading, which is what subconsciencely has me concerned it could be true.

I think the best thing however is that he isnt scared, so it doesnt seem malicous either way.

Very cool about your eyes btw!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 3:25 pm

I'm not a huge believer in the paranormal myself, but I will never deny that there's some things in this world we just can't explain. Interesting stories though, I'm intruiged to hear any more.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 3:31 pm

never met a ghosts. but believe there's something in outta space. we are not alone in huge space.
but i remember when my grandma, told me story 'bout lost soul in their house, in the attic, when grandpa open the door in the attic, this lost soul had a big power, grandpa himself felt it, when this soul flew around him. they had to call a priest with holy water. after the priest came and bless every corner with holy water ... lost soul gone.
2nd story was bout UFO. wanna hear it ?
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 3:51 pm

mez wrote:
As far as asking questions, your very right, I havent asked him with answers, he has given the answer to everyone on his own with no leading, which is what subconsciencely has me concerned it could be true.

I think the best thing however is that he isnt scared, so it doesnt seem malicous either way.
Seems like something you shouldn't be concerned about. Even if it's just him making this up in his mind, all kids do that. Who here has never imagined playing games with imaginary people? Of course, if it's true, it doesn't sound like you have a ghost that you need worry about. In fact, maybe it confirms your own beliefs?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 4:19 pm

no, i do not believe in ghosts.

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 4:41 pm

mc666 wrote:
Assuming this is not scripted, explain it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYY0Bfrdt5M
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 5:32 pm

I've never had any supernatural encounters of my own, but I'm open to the idea that ghosts may exist. I do hope I never find out the hard way that they're for real, though, i.e. running into one in an old hotel or an abandoned factory or whatever... Smile.

When my brother and I were kids we used to read every "true ghost story" book we could get our hands on and they'd scare us silly. Our favorite was about a rectory in England called "Borley" that was supposedly haunted by the ghosts of several nuns who died there during a fire. To this day all my brother and I have to do to creep each other out is mention "Borley Rectory," and we'll immediately go "Brrrrrr!"
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:

why would a non believer make such an assumption? i would assume that it was scripted.

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 6:05 pm

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:

why would a non believer make such an assumption? i would assume that it was scripted.
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 6:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Rolling Eyes
that's the best you've got? Laughing very hard

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:11 pm

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Rolling Eyes
that's the best you've got? Laughing very hard
Yep. Watching the Patriots game.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:14 pm

it seems illogical not to believe in ghosts.

and i too am watching the pats game. GOD i hate the pats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:20 pm

buggie_strikes_back! wrote:

and i too am watching the pats game. GOD i hate the pats.
Don't make me ban you, turdboy!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:22 pm

i'm watching the game as well. it's a close one. i'm a Colts fan, but NE is a great team. there is no denying that.
edit: this game proved it, 24/20 Laughing very hard

how so?

Last edited by on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:24 pm

mc666 wrote:
i'm watching the game as well. it's a close one. i'm a Colts fan, but NE is a great team. there is no denying that.

how so?
colts lost. damnit.

anyway... we don't know what happens after we die, but i believe the human mind has a lot to do with ghosts. someone told me that its not par se ghosts, but its the human mind taking stress out on your enviorment, or soemthing like that.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:29 pm

The only thing I can say about the biblical question is that there was some contoversy in the early church as to whether the ressurrected would have corporeal or spiritual bodies. Jesus says in Mark 12:25 (and parallels) when questioned about the validity of leverite marriages in heaven that the resurrected are "Like Angels", and therefore I would think like ghosts as well, not bodies that are married, etc. Also in Matthew 17:3 Moses and Elijah (both long since dead- or "asleep") appear and confer with Jesus on the mountain, ghosts I would guess. Conversely though in Luke 27:37-43 the disciples fear that the Jesus they see is "a spirit", and Jesus comforts them by letting them touch his corporeal body and even telling them he is hungry and wants to eat, which they witness him doing. And there is the famous doubting Thomas episode as well (John 20), in which Jesus also seemed corporeal. Granted Jesus, Moses, and Elijah might be special cases, so it's difficult to generalize about the average ghost from their examples. Trinitarian doctrine would suggest that Jesus at least could be either/or, depending on what suited his purpose I would guess. I assume that theologians have thought this matter through much more than I have; and that there are official dogmas on the matter; which might vary from demonination to denomination; so if you are concerned consult your clergyman.
My guess is that there are good ghosts and bad ghosts, and yours sound good. I don't recall anyone feeling the need to exorcize apparitions of the Virgin Mary, for instance. Athough again, probably a special case.
My view about mysterious stuff like this is best summed up by Paul's view of his visit to "the third heaven" in II Corinthians 12:2-3, In which he says of his experience "Whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows", which he repeats twice. So if Paul himself didn't know then I sure don't know either. Interesting topic though.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:30 pm

I don't believe in ghosts but I do believe that parnormal events occurr. My feelings as a Christian are this: I believe when a person dies their soul goes to either heaven or hell, it does not roam the Earth (the bible is very specific about ones destination in the afterlife). However, demons posses power to manipulate man into believing such things. They like to find a person who can be eaily manipulated. Let's say that a person becomes a Christian but there are some nagging doubts as to a soul's destination, a demon can use paranormal activities to make that new Christian doubt his new found faith. It could also be used to prevent someone from becoming a Christian as well. If you tell someone who has witnessed such activities that the soul goes to either heaven or hell they can laugh it off because they "know" that there are souls wondering the earth. This is not something I gather from the bible but since the bible does not address the issues of ghosts I can only speculate.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:52 pm

The apparitiion MEZ cited was telling the boy about heaven and how happy she is there, not wandering the earth. Sounds like it might fit more into the biblical paradigms of purposeful heavenly apparitions I cited above, rather than ghosts per se. But what do I know? I live in a 110 year old house that has a somewhat tragic history and some strange goings on and sounds; but I would gladly keep the ghosts if I could just get rid of the damn mice! Mice suck.

p.s.-Alright Patriots!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 7:57 pm

I guess I'm "ghost agnostic"
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 am

My opinion is that most "ghost" stories are explainable as something natural or perhaps demonic actovity, but I'm cautiously open to other ideas.

The biblical episode that immediately came to my mind the story of Saul going to visit the witch at Endor (1 Sam. 28 ). Saul is going into a battle the next day, and so desperate to hear from the deceased prophet Samuel that he has a medium "conjure up" his spirit. Some would say that it was a demon, not really Samuel, but to me, it certainly sounds like Samuel actually did "come back" to rebuke Saul for using this method to contact him. It's an interesting chapter.

Personally, I have experienced just one really weird thing. I was working in a radio station all alone early on Sunday morning. I put the station on the air for the day at 7 o'clock with a 15 minute news broadcast. About five minutes into my newscast, I distinctly heard the back door open and shut again (it was locked).

I assumed it was our news guy, come in to type up a local news story. I even thought that he might come in and hand it to me to include in the newscast I was doing.

After the newscast, I started a song and went in the newsroom, but he was not there. No one was anywhere in the building and the door was still locked up. I later spoke to everyone who had a key to that door and no one was there that morning.

Make of it what you will, it did happen.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 12:35 am

Another more definitive perspective from Paul on the nature of "Spiritual bodies" (whether that pertains to ghosts, angels, or whatever I can't say); begins at 1st Corinthians 15:35; and affirms the perspective of Jesus in Mark 12:25 etc.
Aren't the "ghosts" on the TV show usually more like lights, blobs, or presences? (I've never watched it, but that's what I gather). Heavenly visitors are usually physically recognizable; bring a spiritual message, and then go back to heaven. So the entity in question in this thread sounds more like an angel type being than a ghost, from what little I know anyway.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 10:56 am

I do not believe in ghosts. I do believe that things happen that go beyond our realm of understanding or comprehension.

I also believe that there are other lifeforms in this universe besides the ones that inhabit this planet, but I do NOT believe aliens visit us.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 12:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I do NOT believe aliens visit us.

That's also one that I cannot swallow. Too many logistical problems to
overcome. I don't care how advanced your technology is, you WILL obey
the laws of physics. lol!

To the extent that there might be something to UFO sightings (and I
think there may well be), I would suspect that they are supernatural as
well. There was an interesting book I read on the UFO phenomenon by
Chuck Missler that went into it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you beleive in ghosts?   Do you beleive in ghosts? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you beleive in ghosts?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next