Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...

Go down 
+3
Lari
Troublezone
José Maurício
7 posters
AuthorMessage
José Maurício
Metal novice
Metal novice
José Maurício

Number of posts : 46

Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Empty
PostSubject: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2024 10:12 pm

I'm talking about albums like Wheels of Steel and Strong arm of the Law , sound pretty closer to Hard Rock than anything "Metal" to me personally ...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17144

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2024 11:22 pm

They’re classic metal.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6373

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2024 7:05 am

Original style heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12750

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2024 8:03 am

Back then there was no need to place any sort of idiom on what was this or that kind of metal.

I get youngsters looking back in hindsight and comparing a band to what came afterwards, then saying this isn't "whatever" to me. People are free to think/believe whatever they want. I was there and quite invested, so saying anything other than Saxon being a heavy metal band is pure revisionism on reality.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3218

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2024 11:08 am

Diamond Head reminds me of early Saxon.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37849

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2024 4:23 pm

Glower wrote:
Diamond Head reminds me of early Saxon.

...and now Diamond Head guitarist Brian Tatler is playing with Saxon!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Lari likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2024 5:52 pm

James B. wrote:
Back then there was no need to place any sort of idiom on what was this or that kind of metal.

I get youngsters looking back in hindsight and comparing a band to what came afterwards, then saying this isn't "whatever" to me.  People are free to  think/believe whatever they want.  I was there and quite invested, so saying anything other than Saxon being a heavy metal band is pure revisionism on reality.

Yeah, I mean, you're there in 1979 so if this isn't heavy metal, what is?

People made their top-10, top-50 metal bands lists back then just like we do now. It was popular, if not so much saturated as it is now. It's not like there was only 2-3 bands that played it. There were magazines about heavy metal. That's when heavy metal truly was heavy metal. Later on it's been either thrash metal or glam metal or black metal or death metal. Not just heavy metal, in the original meaning.
Back to top Go down
José Maurício
Metal novice
Metal novice
José Maurício

Number of posts : 46

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2024 7:09 pm

Power Metal is the most traditional form of Metal that exists , IMO .
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2024 11:46 am

José Maurício wrote:
Power Metal is the most traditional form of Metal that exists , IMO .

From current subgenres, some power metal, maybe. Also, doom metal.

José Maurício likes this post

Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2024 8:17 am

I think as a metal community, we should embrace the term "hard rock". Some amazing music has come out of that genre. It's almost a dirty word these days. Who cares what people call your music? I used to care that the music I listened to wasn't "heavy enough" because I disliked most death and black metal. Then I realized it's not a competition and I'm going to listen to what I truly enjoy.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12750

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2024 9:58 am

John Madden wrote:
I think as a metal community, we should embrace the term "hard rock".

I get your point.  I do not get why/how  younger people say shit that was called "heavy metal" back in the late 70's/early 80's is "hard rock" today.  You cannot compare the stuff then to what came later and did not exist yet.  If you go that route it is total revisionist history. Regardless of whatever anyone thinks or their age, the truth of the matter is the truth.  Anybody can look back in hindsight and say "whatever".  Yet, not everyone can say they were actually there experiencing it.

John Madden wrote:

Then I realized it's not a competition and I'm going to listen to what I truly enjoy.

Most people left on this board know my philosophy on tunes... Two kinds of music for me, stuff I dig and stuff I don't.

John Madden likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...   Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saxon sounds Hard Rock to me ...
Page 1 of 1