Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Early 90’s funky rock/metal

Go down 
+3
Thrasher73
nevermore
Troublezone
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Empty
PostSubject: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2023 6:38 pm

Anyone remember that fad back in the early 90’s that had those funky alternative rock bands masquerading as metal? I think it was more the image… if they had long hair and the music had some kind of distorted guitars, they were played on Headbanger’s Ball.

Animal Bag
White Trash
Ugly Kid Joe

They all pretty much were taking advantage of the RHCP’s Mother’s Milk style. And FNM had a big hit with their song Epic.

I actually like the first two UKJ albums. They were kinda fun. The video for the song Neighbor is very funny.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26445

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2023 12:29 am

I'm a fan of Animal Bag. They were a local band for me. They started out more on the hair metal side of things. When they moved to L.A. the band realized they looked and sounded like everyone else. So they changed their style. I wouldn't say they were very funky sounding. Especially compared to bands like White Trash. Animal Bag had a little more of that alternative-metal style to me.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2023 12:56 am

Ugly Kid Joe is good also one that comes to mind is Scatterbrain.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2023 1:25 am

nevermore wrote:
I'm a fan of Animal Bag. They were a local band for me. They started out more on the hair metal side of things. When they moved to L.A. the band realized they looked and sounded like everyone else. So they changed their style. I wouldn't say they were very funky sounding. Especially compared to bands like White Trash. Animal Bag had a little more of that alternative-metal style to me.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of their song “Everybody”. It kinda had a funky feel. Maybe more in the vein of Janes Addiction.

They also had a hippie type image. Not as ridiculous as Enuff Z’Nuff, but they did.

I like some stuff from Janes Addiction and Saigon Kick. I think Animal Bag was in that realm of alternative hard rock and metal.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2023 1:27 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Ugly Kid Joe is good also one that comes to mind is Scatterbrain.

Scatterbrain was cool!

I have their “Here Comes Trouble” album.

Don’t call me dude! lol!

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2023 1:32 am

Some other funky type rock/metal… minus the obvious RHCP. And these bands were not exclusively funk oriented, they dabbled with it or used it on select songs.

Bang Tango
Living Color
Extreme
Faith No More
Mordred
Suicidal Tendencies (Freedumb and the later stuff)
Infectious Grooves
Primus

nevermore likes this post

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2023 9:08 pm

Troublezone wrote:
nevermore wrote:

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of their song “Everybody”. It kinda had a funky feel. Maybe more in the vein of Janes Addiction.

They also had a hippie type image. Not as ridiculous as Enuff Z’Nuff, but they did.

I like some stuff from Janes Addiction and Saigon Kick. I think Animal Bag was in that realm of alternative hard rock and metal.

"Everbody" does kinda have a funky feel. They definitely had a hippie image. The band actually recorded a 3rd album that was shelved called Image Damage that was very heavy.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2023 11:07 pm

Is that unreleased album “Image Damage” anywhere online? I’d like to hear it.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2023 6:47 pm

Troublezone wrote:

I have a bootleg copy of the cd. I'm sure the songs have leaked somewhere online.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2023 10:45 pm

nevermore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I have a bootleg copy of the cd. I'm sure the songs have leaked somewhere online.

I think an independent label should release it.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 10:19 am

Troublezone wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I think an independent label should release it.

I think there had been talks of it at one point.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 8:44 pm

I loved, loved, LOVED Scatterbrain. The first (and only) time I ever stage-dived was when I saw them in NYC in early '92, during "Don't Call Me Dude."

Ugly Kid Joe opened that show, about six weeks later "Everything About You" blew up huge and they were everywhere. I was like "Geez, I just saw those guys and maybe fifty people were watching them." Laughing very hard
Thanks to that gig, I ended up being a pretty big UKJ fan too. I must be one of the few who bought their third album Menace To Sobriety when it was a new release in '95. Shame that nobody was listening, cuz it's their best album IMO.

...and of course Faith No More's The Real Thing was freakin huge. That album still sounds fresh today. I also own FNM's Angel Dust which has never fully clicked with me, it has some good tracks on it but also a lot of weird filler nonsense. Those two albums were about as far as I went with FNM though.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 10:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I loved, loved, LOVED Scatterbrain. The first (and only) time I ever stage-dived was when I saw them in NYC in early '92, during "Don't Call Me Dude."

Ugly Kid Joe opened that show, about six weeks later "Everything About You" blew up huge and they were everywhere. I was like "Geez, I just saw those guys and maybe fifty people were watching them." Laughing very hard
Thanks to that gig, I ended up being a pretty big UKJ fan too. I must be one of the few who bought their third album Menace To Sobriety when it was a new release in '95. Shame that nobody was listening, cuz it's their best album IMO.

...and of course Faith No More's The Real Thing was freakin huge. That album still sounds fresh today. I also own FNM's Angel Dust which has never fully clicked with me, it has some good tracks on it but also a lot of weird filler nonsense. Those two albums were about as far as I went with FNM though.

Cool that you dived at the Scatterbrain show! I agree with everything you said, except I still prefer UKJ’s second album. But then again, I never owned Menace to Sobriety. The Real Thing by FNM is their only amazing album. Angel Dust is exactly as you described. Too much Mr. Bungle influence.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2024 8:15 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Cool that you dived at the Scatterbrain show! I agree with everything you said, except I still prefer UKJ’s second album. But then again, I never owned Menace to Sobriety.  

Menace... is my favorite UKJ album. Definitely worth a listen, it's just as good as the EP and America's Least Wanted IMO.

If you've got 49 minutes to spare, here's the entire album on YouTube:

Fun fact: Shannon Larkin (formerly of Wrathchild America/Souls At Zero, later of Godsmack) played drums on this record.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2024 6:43 pm

I never really cared much for the funky stuff, but this is pretty good. And by the way men, you're all wrong about Angel Dust. That's a freaking masterpiece and the last great album from that outfit. BOOM!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2024 11:58 pm

John Madden wrote:
I never really cared much for the funky stuff, but this is pretty good. And by the way men, you're all wrong about Angel Dust. That's a freaking masterpiece and the last great album from that outfit. BOOM!

I agree about Angel Dust. It's an awesome album.

John Madden likes this post

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28616

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2024 12:47 am

Troublezone, this song came out in 1995, but it seems like this fits the bill of what you're discussing. It was only released in Canada, but it was a hit there.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2024 8:25 pm

I dusted off Bang Tango's Psycho Cafe album yesterday and there's some cool funky stuff happening on that album, esp. in the bass playing...

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 5:12 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I dusted off Bang Tango's Psycho Cafe album yesterday and there's some cool funky stuff happening on that album, esp. in the bass playing...

Yep, they did have the funky bass back then.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 5:14 am

Required Fields wrote:
Troublezone, this song came out in 1995, but it seems like this fits the bill of what you're discussing. It was only released in Canada, but it was a hit there.

Major RHCP influence!

Their name is crazy!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12762

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2024 10:34 am

I vaguely remember 24-7 Spies being funky, among other things.

EDIT: But totally forgot how to spell their name right Laughing very hard
Apparently it is 24-7 Spyz

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2024 12:39 pm

James B. wrote:
I vaguely remember 24-7 Spies being funky, among other things.

EDIT: But totally forgot how to spell their name right Laughing very hard
Apparently it is 24-7 Spyz

I remember them. They were advertised in the metal zines a decent amount. Never bothered to listen to ‘em though…
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2024 7:15 pm

There's some funky stuff happenin' on this Death Angel track from Act III...

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12762

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 9:44 am

Back when this thread was current, a band came to mind that I could not remember the name of. I tried looking up what I assumed was their name and nothing.... It appears what was thought to be their name ended up being the name of the album. Laughing very hard

"Southpaw" by Precious Death

The funk is not prevalent on each and every tune, but when it is there, it is there.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 1:36 pm

James B. wrote:
Back when this thread was current, a band came to mind that I could not remember the name of.  I tried looking up what I assumed was their name and nothing....  It appears what was thought to be their name ended up being the name of the album. Laughing very hard

"Southpaw" by Precious Death

The funk is not prevalent on each and every tune, but when it is there, it is there.

Good album!

It had a very heavy alternative sound like Faith No More. A little bit of spunky thrash moments too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early 90’s funky rock/metal    Early 90’s funky rock/metal  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Early 90’s funky rock/metal
Page 1 of 1