Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Disappointing Year

Go down 
+16
TheGooch
SAHB Healer
Thrasher73
romeolimagolf
scottmitchell74
candlemass
iamrockerfun
Lurideath
exact33
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
kmorg
krokus
mc666
DallasBlack
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:07 am

Quote :
This also could be due to the fact that I only discovered Deliverance about 6 years ago when I got What A Joke/Stay Of Execution double CD, so I don't have as much invested in them that everyone else does.

I first listened to them about 3 years ago, so I'm not sure if this logic works for me. Also, i've liked most stuff by them. Just not this.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:51 am

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
Quote :
This also could be due to the fact that I only discovered Deliverance about 6 years ago when I got What A Joke/Stay Of Execution double CD, so I don't have as much invested in them that everyone else does.

I first listened to them about 3 years ago, so I'm not sure if this logic works for me. Also, i've liked most stuff by them. Just not this.

That was just speculation. As I said, "I don't wholly see what people's problems with this is." I don't know the reason why some of us seem to like it while others don't. It's just puzzling to me thats all.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 11:10 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
There are very few releases of this year or the past 8 years or so that I can honestly say that I enjoy.

The scene is flooded with lower quality material IMHO.

Ok, let's all take a look at this statement, of course it's his opinion and he's entitled to it, but does anyone concur?

There have been some stellar releases over the last eight years! I wonder if folks here compiled a list of their top fifty LP's over the last eight years, would ToB make the list, would they make the list even over the last three years, would they even make top 100?

IMHO, ToB is just above mediocrity, not bad, but not quite solid, and hardly stellar, it was priced nominally, ergo I do not feel ripped off!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 1:56 pm

candlemass wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
There are very few releases of this year or the past 8 years or so that I can honestly say that I enjoy.

Ok, let's all take a look at this statement, of course it's his opinion and he's entitled to it, but does anyone concur?

There have been some stellar releases over the last eight years! I wonder if folks here compiled a list of their top fifty LP's over the last eight years, would ToB make the list, would they make the list even over the last three years, would they even make top 100?

IMHO, ToB is just above mediocrity, not bad, but not quite solid, and hardly stellar, it was priced nominally, ergo I do not feel ripped off!

It made my top 20 list the year it was released. Donæt have a clue what that has got to do with his opinion....

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 4:35 pm

Alright, a couple of days ago I listened to Dream Theater-Systematic Chaos again. I still think the music is good but overall the album is just another O.K. DT album. When Dream And Day Unite was an O.K. album (Dominici sounded too much like a Geddy Lee clone to me). Images & Words was a master piece as was Awake. Change Of Seasons (although really a long EP) was a masterpiece as well. Then came Falling Into Infinity. A lot of the songs on that are my favorites, but over all it was just an O.K. album. Then they released another masterpiece in Scenes From A Memory. Then ever since then it has been one O.K. album after another. The new one I was hoping would have been at least better than O.K. if not a masterpiece, however, in the end I remain disappointed. Being one of my favortie bands should make this release a top 10 in my rankings, but sadly it will not be (it may be in the top 20 but that depends on how good other releases I'll add to my collection will be.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 4:53 pm

kmorg wrote:
candlemass wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

It made my top 20 list the year it was released. Donæt have a clue what that has got to do with his opinion....

I suppose then, that would render you clueless! lol!
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 10:45 pm

The biggest disapointments so far this year for me are:

1. Manowar
2. Annihilator
3. Sonata Arctica
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 10:57 pm

The trouble with the new Deliverance and Megadeth for me is staying power.I've listened to both a couple times and nothing keeps me coming back for another spin.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 2:31 am

I've spent the last three years working so hard on filling in all the old stuff from my youth on CD that I've kinda lost touch with power metal from the past couple of years. It is tempting to "retire" and stick to the old stuff, but I'm sure that I'd be missing a lot of great music that way. The good news is that I seem to have about everything I want up to about 2000; so I can concentrate on the present again now. It's just kinda overwhelming knowing where to jump back in at this point. I'm planning a big buy on recent power/prog metal this winter; so threads like this help me prepare. I'll be asking you guys for advice when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 6:31 am

well i admit i have none of the so called disappointing records that have been mentioned but i do have a lot of good releases that have come out this year and i think it has been a vintage year for metal
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 7:05 am

Manowar was the only disapointment for me. All the rest was good or even better Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 7:16 am

The new Prong and Overkill are pretty good but nothing like i was expecting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 7:26 am

If you put Deliverance and Manowar aside (although I like both), I think that albums such as the new Overkill, Evile's Enter The Grave, Dekapitator's The Storm Before The Calm, and the new Lizzy Borden in themselves make this a prosperous year for metal.

I look at it like this, it is much better now than when the best thing around was Pantera and Tool. The 90s were dark days indeed.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 9:11 am

spectrefate wrote:
If you put Deliverance and Manowar aside (although I like both), I think that albums such as the new Overkill, Evile's Enter The Grave, Dekapitator's The Storm Before The Calm, and the new Lizzy Borden in themselves make this a prosperous year for metal.

I look at it like this, it is much better now than when the best thing around was Pantera and Tool. The 90s were dark days indeed.

Really? Didn't the 90's give us some of Mortification's best work ever? Veni Domine's masterpiece "Fall Babylon Fall", and I'm sure there are members here that some of their favorite LP's came out of the 90's. Just because a certain genre may not be the flavor of the month among the masses, doesn't mean some artists weren't creating some of the best metal ever! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 9:13 am

candlemass wrote:

Really? Didn't the 90's give us some of Mortification's best work ever? Veni Domine's masterpiece "Fall Babylon Fall", and I'm sure there are members here that some of their favorite LP's came out of the 90's. Just because a certain genre may not be the flavor of the month among the masses, doesn't mean some artists weren't creating some of the best metal ever! 🤘

I agree... the 90s saw the release of some very good stuff. It was just harder to find out about it and you had to know where to look.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 9:22 am

I have found something to like every year since I was in grade school in the 70's. This year produced some good albums IMO. I'm very happy that Ultimatum FINALLY got "Into the Pit" out this year and feel it's one of our best yet.

New releases from 3 Inches of Blood, U.D.O., Ted Nugent, Saxon, Overkill, Riot, Symphorce, Fueled By Fire, Evile, Symphony X, Megadeth, W.A.S.P., etc. all will top my list. I think the new Trouble is far better than people give it credit for. I like the new Deliverance a lot, with the exception of the intro. The Tesla cover album rules!

I was disappointed with a few releases I purchased. Manowar was high on the list. If I want to listen to orchestral arrangements and opera, I'll listen to classical and opera. Manowar are suppose to be the Kings of Metal. The new Iced Earth didn't rock my world like I hoped. Sevendust's Alpha is ok, but not their best. Ozzy's CD was ok, but not great either. The Scorpions new release is actually good, but is only a Scorpions album by name. High paid songwriters with little input from the band sort of steals the personality of the band IMO.

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 9:24 am

candlemass wrote:

I can pull a handful of releases out as well that were great in the nineties. But overall the decade was pretty abysmal. Best metal ever does not even cross my mind when I think of the nineties as a whole. We all have our personal experiences and opinions, and mine is that the 90s were a time that I do not look back on fondly, and when compared to the 2000s, 2007 in particular, there is no comparison.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 9:35 am

Given the time I could list quite a few gems from the 90's, I'll give you this, it was a dark time for sales, signings and concerts in the U.S.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 10:49 am

i thought the 90's where awesome. especially for death & black metal. i was loving it!

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 10:51 am

mc666 wrote:
i thought the 90's where awesome. especially for death & black metal. i was loving it!

I guess I forgot about those genres. Dissection, Arcturus, Emperor, Ancient. Deicide, Morbid Angel, Monstrosity and their smattering of albums. Yeah, I did block that from my brain. My bad.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 12:36 pm

The early 90's provided some cool albums from Pantera and Overkill.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 11:21 pm

Just gave the last big "D" another spin, man I love this disc! 🤘

Sure, the intro's a bit long winded, but that's about the only flaw I hear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 1:07 pm

The new Deliverance seems to be either a 'love it or hate it' affair.

Personally, I like it. I wasn't saying I 'hated' it. But I was MAJORLY disappointed in it. I suppose I was just expecting much more out of it. I think I'll give it a fresh spin in a few days - maybe I'll have changed my mind on it. Doubtful though.

I just remember the days when their "S/T", "Weapons of Our Warfare", "What a Joke", and "Stay of Execution" came out. Each of those albums blew my socks off.

Then when everyone was crying - "Deliverance has returned to their early sound" ... I got WAY excited. I think I raised the bar too high in my own mind. You know how that can be?

So when I put it in ... I was expecting to have my socks blown off like when I first heard "Weapons of Our Warfare". It just don't hold a candle.

Perhaps had I not been expecting much ... I'd have been blown away like the rest of you guys.

A good example is Nightwish. When Tarja got fired, I was disappointed and I really didn't think they could find a singer to replace her and do them justice. Then when I got the new Nightwish - I was BLOWN away!!! I wasn't expecting much I suppose.

See what I mean? Perhaps this makes no sense. I don't know.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 1:29 pm

candlemass wrote:
Just gave the last big "D" another spin, man I love this disc! 🤘

Sure, the intro's a bit long winded, but that's about the only flaw I hear.
AGREED, AS ABOVE-SO BELOW SMOKES!!!

I think it's their best/hardest since What a Joke and WOOW.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 5:57 pm

I like both era's of "D", this LP is a great juxtaposition of the two, it could have been titled "Return to Form", after Assimilation, it certainly is!

Last edited by on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Disappointing Year   A Disappointing Year - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Disappointing Year
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next